PDA

View Full Version : Eotech Fuzziness

Joe
04-29-2010, 5:46 PM
So I just bought an Eotech and put it on my rifle. I turned it on and my god that thing was fuzzy as can be. The outer ring's hash marks were not visible at all and the center dot was a blurry blob of scattered light. I know everyone says "its transmission holography, its going to look pixelated." That is not what I'm talking about. This thing is beyond usable.

I searched some threads here and people advise focusing on a target outside of the window instead of on the reticle. I try that and it helps a little. Then I try to adjust the brightness. I looks blurry through all brightness levels, although some are noticeably more clear.

Then I read that if you have astigmatism it can cause the reticle to look blurry. Damn! I have an astigmatism. I was wearing my contacts at the time and they don't have anything to correct for astigmatism. So I decided to put on my glasses(which have prism to correct for astigmatism) and the image still appeared to be blurry but it was not as bad. At least I can see the hash marks somewhat now.

After sitting disappointed for a minute or two, I decided to take off my glasses and look through the site with my naked eye. It was CRYSTAL clear. I couldn't believe it. I guess my glasses and contacts make it look blurry as hell but my naked eyes(with astigmatism and farsightedness) allow me to see the reticle clearly.

Long story short, I think I need to pay the optometrist a visit :)

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Noah3683
04-29-2010, 5:54 PM
Well with an astigmatism, you are kind of sitting Pierre. I would advise either returning it, or try trading for an aimpoint. I just traded my aimpoint for an eotech 555 USMC. I like the eotech reticle, and contrary to what many will say, it seems to get crisper (at least to me) when you turn up the brightness

DouchebagRanger
04-29-2010, 6:01 PM
bring the Eotech w/ you to the Optometrist and make it their job to have the optic work with you!

Joe
04-29-2010, 6:10 PM
bring the Eotech w/ you to the Optometrist and make it their job to have the optic work with you!

hahaha, I should :D

Joe
04-29-2010, 6:11 PM
Well with an astigmatism, you are kind of sitting Pierre. I would advise either returning it, or try trading for an aimpoint. I just traded my aimpoint for an eotech 555 USMC. I like the eotech reticle, and contrary to what many will say, it seems to get crisper (at least to me) when you turn up the brightness

The funny thing is, I have astigmatism, but the reticle is crystal clear to my naked eye. It is only blurry when I use my contacts or glasses.

Doesn't really make sense.

Shady
04-29-2010, 6:15 PM
:useless::useless:

Noah3683
04-29-2010, 6:17 PM
The funny thing is, I have astigmatism, but the reticle is crystal clear to my naked eye. It is only blurry when I use my contacts or glasses.

Doesn't really make sense.

Yeah I dunno, how the whole thing works, I'm not an optometrist. Maybe it's the contacts or glasses combined with the astigmatism making it worse? It should appear like this............. post #18
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=275185

Joe
04-29-2010, 6:35 PM
Yeah I dunno, how the whole thing works, I'm not an optometrist. Maybe it's the contacts or glasses combined with the astigmatism making it worse? It should appear like this............. post #18
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=275185

Ya I'm really not sure either.

This is pretty much exactly what I see when I use the Eotech without glasses:

http://www.farturator.com/amg/ar-15/eotech-1.jpg
http://www.farturator.com/amg/ar-15/eotech-2.jpg

When I use my contacts or glasses it looks probably about twice as bad as this:

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7471/dsc00564y.jpg

Noah3683
04-29-2010, 6:54 PM
Well that's a good job referencing. I think you may be better off with an aimpoint. It shouldn't be as bad for you.

AM9000
04-29-2010, 6:55 PM
The last photo is a little blurry. The top two look like both of my eotechs.

ke6guj
04-29-2010, 7:16 PM
The last photo is a little blurry.yup, that is what it looks like to those of us with messed up eyes.:(

baz152
04-29-2010, 7:37 PM
That is how they look. Like you said in your post; focus on the target and not the sight.

Joe
04-29-2010, 7:40 PM
yup, that is what it looks like to those of us with messed up eyes.:(

Boooo :(

Shady
04-29-2010, 8:03 PM
maybe try turning the brightness down

mine gets fuzzy when i turn it up all the way

thefinger
04-29-2010, 8:21 PM
That sucks that it won;t work well for your eyes. The reason I love my EOTech is the crisp 1moa dot that it produces. Way better than the 4moa dot on my old Trijicon reflex.

Jeffu
04-29-2010, 8:26 PM
Turn down the brightness when you're playing around inside the house. You want the reticule dim enough to be transparent. It's a lot more clear when you're outdoor.

ChrisTKHarris
04-29-2010, 8:28 PM
Very common problem and good to know you'll be updating your prescription.

Koolpsych
04-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Interesting, I have heard a lot of people see the recticle as very blurry. When I got mine I thought it looked very sharp, and only become slightly blurry on very high brightness levels.

Now I need to try looking at the scope without my contacts to see if it gets even sharper!

Tunis
04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Turn down the brightness when you're playing around inside the house. You want the reticule dim enough to be transparent. It's a lot more clear when you're outdoor.

+1!

Directly from EOTech's FAQ's:

Why is my center dot not round?

Not everyone sees the center dot as a circle or sphere. If your dot does not appear to be perfectly round, the distortion may be caused by the way that your eye perceives the dot, rather than by some mechanical defect. Due to differences in the lenses in different individuals' eyes, round objects that subtend areas near 3 minutes of angle may appear distorted in a variety of ways depending on the individual and other environmental influences. Some may see the center dot like a hub of a bicycle wheel with spokes. If you see this in your sight, look closely at the dot and rotate the sight. If the spokes do not move, it is just how your eye perceives this dot. You can dim the sight and this may be eliminated.

My circle is fuzzy/hazy. Why is this?

That question about our reticle is common. What people usually see on-line or in advertisements are graphic representations of the reticle. What you are seeing is likely normal. The outer circle of the reticle is made up of hundreds of pixels (small dots that form together to make a larger image). This pixilation is key to being able to see the hologram properly, and is inherent in the technology. You should see the center dot as a single MOA.

A couple things might help make the image appear more distinct:

* If you see the image blurry, fuzzy, distorted, having a double image, or having a 'starburst' effect, this usually means the brightness intensity level is up too high for the lighting conditions you're using it in. Dim down the brightness until the reticle is slightly see-through. The outer circle is designed as your reference to center, and acts similar to a ghost ring.
* The reticle is projected out to your target plane. If you pick up a target that is very close (like a photo on the wall), your eyes might not focus properly on the image. Pick up sight pictures 25 to 30 yards out until you become accustomed to the sight. Try them at different eye reliefs, and certainly try these things once the sight is mounted on a weapon.
* If you require corrective lenses (glasses or contacts) to see things clearly at a distance, you will need them to see the reticle clearly. Remember, the reticle is actually projected out to your target plane, so you will see it like anything else at that distance. Also, if you have astigmatism or use bifocals, you may see the image less distinctly.
* Use the sight outdoors, and if possible at the range. Actually acquiring targets with the sight will help your eyes focus properly on the reticle.

Joe
04-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Joe
05-08-2010, 1:01 PM
The pictures I promised. I've noticed when using my contact lenses outside in the daylight, the reticle doesn't seem blurry at all really. Tip for people who've never used an Eotech and just buy one: Don't use if for the first time in a dark room, you'll be disappointed with the blurriness :)

Pics of my new Eotech 517 with GG&G "Front Toward Enemy" lens covers

http://i40.tinypic.com/qrf7tt.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/j9x7k5.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/vqi6v4.jpg