PDA

View Full Version : The Truth about Frontsight? Lifetime membership?

The DRis
04-29-2010, 5:04 PM
I got an email offering a lifetime membership for $419. It lets you take unlimited classes of the following:

Two Day Defensive Handgun
Two Day Practical Rifle
Four Day Defensive Handgun
Four Day Practical Rifle

IMO, if that's all I did with Frontsight its worth the $420. But when I googled Frontsight to get their website a bunch of "scam" stuff came up. I've heard good and I've heard bad about frontsight. The "deadline" for this deal is tomorrow. What is the truth about them?

n2agmba
04-29-2010, 6:16 PM
The DRis,
I got a buddy who swears by Frontsight! If you live anywhere near, or go to Vegas frequently, it's worth it. He ended up doing the Diamond Level (or something like it) and absolutely swears by it. Said the classes and instructors are AMAZING! Worth every penny!
Just an FYI, hope it helps.
n2agmba

Noah3683
04-29-2010, 6:32 PM
Man sounds like bs to me. My dad and i went for 2 day defensive handgun, and it was like $2K. I don't see that possibly happening. You sure you didn't read $4199? Their cheapest lifetime package is $4900 and that's if you do it in a single payment

chickenfried
04-29-2010, 6:42 PM
:eek: you paid $2000? Most people buy the certificates that go for ~$150 for first time attendees to take the four day handgun class or two first timers to take the two day.
Man sounds like bs to me. My dad and i went for 2 day defensive handgun, and it was like $2K.

Aftermath686
04-29-2010, 6:46 PM
I would rather take my money elsewhere.

Noah3683
04-29-2010, 6:46 PM
:eek: you paid $2000? Most people buy the coupons that go for ~$150 for first time attendees to take the four day handgun class or two first timers to take the two day.
What!? Holy F**K! I think my A** just started bleeding from the rape:owned:. I'm glad it wasn't my money! Either way, there isn't a $400 lifetime membership

rkt88edmo
04-29-2010, 6:57 PM
What!? Holy F**K! I think my A** just started bleeding from the rape:owned:. I'm glad it wasn't my money! Either way, there isn't a $400 lifetime membership

ummm..from what I've heard there is a $420 deal right now, as the OP stated.

Just figure in $50 annually for each year you take a class for the background check.

Also, "lifetime" is only good for as long as FS has been around. Many have been wondering about how long that will be since the very beginning, but don't spend money because you want to take a class in ten years, think about what you will really do in the next 2-3 years.

Noah3683
04-29-2010, 7:01 PM
ummm..from what I've heard there is a $420 deal right now, as the OP stated.

Just figure in $50 annually for each year you take a class for the background check.

Also, "lifetime" is only good for as long as FS has been around. Many have been wondering about how long that will be since the very beginning, but don't spend money because you want to take a class in ten years, think about what you will really do in the next 2-3 years.

Hmm that's interesting. He, nor I received any email, and I see nothing on the website for it. Either way, I couldn't see myself making any major use of it. Even being only 2 hrs away.

VictorFranko
04-29-2010, 7:01 PM
I got an email offering a lifetime membership for $419. It lets you take unlimited classes of the following:

Two Day Defensive Handgun
Two Day Practical Rifle
Four Day Defensive Handgun
Four Day Practical Rifle

IMO, if that's all I did with Frontsight its worth the $420. But when I googled Frontsight to get their website a bunch of "scam" stuff came up. I've heard good and I've heard bad about frontsight. The "deadline" for this deal is tomorrow. What is the truth about them?

Yes, FS is the real deal. Most who tell you they hate it have never gone.
With that membership, do you get any certificates?
Look into the 912 membership. If it is still available, you get a lot more with it than this offer.

rkt88edmo
04-29-2010, 7:03 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen the email either, but this is the second person I've seen talking about it, so I assume it exists in some form, and there is no deal too wacky to be true...

Bobula
Its the real deal, and I'm sure they'll be offering upgrades on that membership

The DRis
Hmm that's interesting. He, nor I received any email, and I see nothing on the website for it. Either way, I couldn't see myself making any major use of it. Even being only 2 hrs away.

PM me with your email address. I'll forward you the email.

johnthomas
04-29-2010, 7:06 PM
Man sounds like bs to me. My dad and i went for 2 day defensive handgun, and it was like $2K. I don't see that possibly happening. You sure you didn't read $4199? Their cheapest lifetime package is $4900 and that's if you do it in a single payment

Did you get the handgun with the package?

Noah3683
04-29-2010, 7:07 PM
Did you get the handgun with the package?

Their supposed free xd? nope :mad:

Noah3683
04-29-2010, 7:09 PM
If the deal is real, it's certainly worth it compared to any other training schools out there. It is a great school and they teach a lot, I just still don't see myself ever going back more than once.

JPurp
04-29-2010, 8:39 PM
I recently attended my first Frontsight course and I have nothing but good things to say. As a matter of full disclosure the class I attended was free but I enjoyed it so much I became a member. Living in SoCal I figure I can take 2+ classes a year so it was a good investment.

The training is very traditional and structured with a strong focus on the fundamentals (sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control and breathing). In other words if you are looking for a Magpul Dynamics (run and gun) class it probably isn't the place for you. That said almost all of the instructors were prior military or law enforcement.

I should say that simply by reading the forums and posts I was expecting the experience to be very bad. I would never have gone had it not been free. My guess is most that have posted negative about FS haven't taken a class.

I personally am not a fan of the "time share" approach to selling memberships they use. That said they are a business and to make money and thus stay in business they have to sell memberships. I was pleasantly surprised when I got there that there was no one trying to get me to to sign up or buy anything. In fact when I wanted to look into becoming a member I had to seek out someone who could talk to me about membership.

Regarding the $419 special you saw (yes it was $419) that was the current special. There are always specials the best way to find out about them is to sign up for the mailing list on there site. I will warn you that you can expect to get an email every other day from them. There site typically does NOT reflect any of the email specials.

Also remember there are probably dozens of different specials/packages. Some come with guns, some do not. Obviously the more expensive specials include guns.

If you are skeptical or want to see it first (as I was) look for a first time student certificate. They show up in the market place somewhat regularly.

I am more than willing to share any more details on my experience or answer any questions. Just remember I have only been there once (so far).

-JP

The DRis
04-29-2010, 9:08 PM
Noah. Email semt

chickenfried
04-29-2010, 9:11 PM
found a link
http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/2010/04/20/front-sights-dont-tread-on-me-reward/

Noah3683
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Noah. Email semt

Got it. Thanks man. Wow Yeah My dad got raped.

Shoot-it
04-29-2010, 10:23 PM
cant you just go to a range and use that money for ammo.Just practice on your own. idpa matches are great practice shooting on the run taking cover.
what's the big deal about front sight training?Do they teach you how to fly using happy thoughts.

berg
04-29-2010, 10:24 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=294709

Piazza and Front Sight already being discussed here.

$P-Ritch$
04-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Jpurp hit the nail on the head. Frontsight is a good school, especially for the fundamentals. If you're looking for high speed stuff look more towards magpul.

I have only been to the basic handgun course, but will be attending my first advanced tactical handgun course at the end of May. So, we'll see how that goes.

As far as the negative opinions of Front Sight. I believe most of that stems from the founder, Ignatius Piazza, he has a real stereotypical used car salesman vibe that comes from him. Also, his bajillion "once in a lifetime deal" emails get real old real fast. However, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the staff and the course layout. It is very well structured and they don't waste a single minute of your time.

Well, I hope that helps some.

Jon

xrMike
04-30-2010, 7:36 AM
what's the big deal about front sight training?Do they teach you how to fly using happy thoughts.To give you an idea...

Our club holds an action pistol or IDPA-like match every month. Over the last year, a growing number of club members have taken 1 or more pistol courses at FrontSite (not me, not yet). And every single one of those guys came back a MUCH better pistol shooter (faster, more accurate). In general, those guys are cleaning up at our IDPA matches now, and the guy who EASILY finishes first every time is also an instructor at FrontSite.

I have a 4-day certificate I plan on using later this year.

From what I've seen personally at my club, his training has real value.

Kreature96
04-30-2010, 8:41 AM
I have been a FS member for the last year. I bought a lifetime membership and have since upgraded it. My wife and 11 yo daughter are also members. They are members based on my training experience at FS. My daughter has taken the child youth classes three times and loves shooting the uzi. I have taken 6 classes in the last year. 2 day handgun, 4 day handgun, 4 day rifle, 2 day night handgun skill builder, 2 day handgun skillbuilder, Advanced tactical handgun, 2 day handgun skillbuilder (again).

My skills have improved immeasurably. Those same skills were NOT improving by competing in IDPA.

I am a retired LEO, while active I was an Officer Safety Instructor, Weapons Officer and Range Officer. So I was not exactly a beginning shooter. I was very impressed with the training and professionalism at FS.

Now the marketing is amatuerish and somewhat bothersome but you can decline to receive the emails and just attend the classes.

The memberships are a good deal if you are going to attend. The training I have already received would cost around 12k somewhere else. I do not have about a half of that invested for my entire family. We are going to attend 7 more classes in the next 6 months. I feel that is an excellent ROI.

ZombieTactics
04-30-2010, 9:35 AM
Anyone who thinks that they can get an equivalent increase in skill by simply buying more ammo and getting in more range time is severely hallucinating. That notion just doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

If what you are doing is fundamentally wrong in the first place, just practicing at doing it wrong more often doesn't result in any improvement.

Whether FrontSight or some other school, money & time spent on quality training is a better investment in gaining skill than another 1000 rounds + range fees can ever be.

Kreature96's experience is quite typical. I've met so many SWAT cops, Marines, FBI agents, etc. at FrontSight, who absolutely swear by the value of the training, that it staggers the imagination that any other endorsement is needed.