PDA

View Full Version : new law there kicking around in sacramento

VytamenC Tactical
04-29-2010, 3:18 PM
On Wednesday, April 28, the Assembly Appropriations Committee met to consider Assembly Bill 1810 and Assembly Bill 2223. AB1810 was placed into the suspense file due to financial costs and will be reconsidered in the near future. This bill may be acted upon at a later date. Please continue checking your email and www.NRAILA.org for any updates on AB1810. AB2223 was re-scheduled for next week.

AB1810 would establish a registration system, similar to the one currently in place for handguns, for all newly-acquired long guns. Under AB1810, the make, model and serial number of the firearm as well as the identifying information of the purchaser would be recorded and kept on file by the California Attorney General’s office.

If AB1810 were enacted, violent criminals would continue doing what they do now – obtain firearms through illegal means. This bill would not decrease crime but will rather have disastrous effects on the already financially unstable Golden State . AB1810 would impose additional burdens on California ’s taxpayers to maintain the registration system as well as on the state’s licensed firearms dealers, small businesses who already deal with extensive business requirements.

One simply needs to look at Canada, a nation with draconian firearms registration, to see the results – billions in cumulative administrative costs, annual cost overruns, no clear substantiation of public safety benefits, unjust prosecution, and a bureaucratic complexity that daunts those willing to comply. Ironically, California is considering a new registration scheme as Canada is considering doing away with its system.

AB2223 would outlaw the use of lead shot when shooting or hunting in state-run wildlife management areas. There is no scientific evidence justifying this proposed ban. It is intended only to discourage hunting in California and that is why the Humane Society of the United States is in full support.

POLICESTATE
04-29-2010, 3:25 PM
Would be nice if the legislature would kick each other around for a change. Would certainly be more entertaining.

vantec08
04-29-2010, 3:28 PM
Old fashioned tarring and feathering worked, bro POLICESTATE.

VytamenC Tactical
04-29-2010, 3:37 PM
buy your long guns now

Mr. Beretta
04-29-2010, 4:41 PM
buy your long guns now

+1............

Hunt
04-29-2010, 4:46 PM
when confiscating guns it helps to have a list, if they don't surrender arms and are found later just put them in a cage.

corrupt
04-30-2010, 7:56 PM
buy your long guns now

Haha.. when am I ever not buying long guns, and when is that ever bad advice? ;)

dustoff31
04-30-2010, 8:05 PM
AB1810 was placed into the suspense file due to financial costs and will be reconsidered in the near future.

This is a good thing. It was placed in suspense due to financial costs. Well, the financial situation isn't going to be any better in the near future, or the medium future, possibly not even the far future.

misterjake
04-30-2010, 8:39 PM
This is a good thing. It was placed in suspense due to financial costs. Well, the financial situation isn't going to be any better in the near future, or the medium future, possibly not even the far future.

Since when has CA passed a law that's supposed to save money? If you pass laws based on how it makes you feel good you now know why we're in a mess in this state.

BroncoBob
04-30-2010, 8:43 PM
Quick, buy your long guns now before....................... :rofl2::rofl2:

dustoff31
04-30-2010, 9:08 PM
Since when has CA passed a law that's supposed to save money? If you pass laws based on how it makes you feel good you now know why we're in a mess in this state.

I don't know. Maybe they are getting a little smarter,,, maybe,,, a little. I'm sure they would have been very happy to pass it, but at least someone figured out that they can't afford it.

Librarian
04-30-2010, 11:52 PM
It would be helpful if the thread title included the bill numbers - "Assembly Bill 1810 and Assembly Bill 2223" or "AB 1810 and AB 2223" but I can guess why it does not.

My least favorite thing about the NRA emails is their dramatic subject lines WITHOUT the bill numbers.

Lots of us are NRA members and get these emails. That's a good thing, and having the interest to post important information is laudable. Thanks for that.

Spyder
05-01-2010, 4:54 AM
Librarian! Quit being reasonable!

vantec08
05-01-2010, 5:21 AM
Most of the present crop of legal challenges concerns handguns so, yes, at some point the Vestal Virgins of the legislature will make a run on long guns. They've been quietly plotting this for some time.

VytamenC Tactical
05-01-2010, 6:38 AM
It would be helpful if the thread title included the bill numbers - "Assembly Bill 1810 and Assembly Bill 2223" or "AB 1810 and AB 2223" but I can guess why it does not.

My least favorite thing about the NRA emails is their dramatic subject lines WITHOUT the bill numbers.

Lots of us are NRA members and get these emails. That's a good thing, and having the interest to post important information is laudable. Thanks for that.

bill number are listed you even quoted them yourself ab1810 and ab2223

command_liner
05-01-2010, 9:48 AM
Tar and feathers will work again. What is needed is all-natural, organic
tar, perfect for even the greenest politician.

I am here in the OC, but have been meaning to make a run to LaBrea Tar Pits to pick up some free tar. My idea is to take 2 empty metal paint cans and scoop up tar from the open bin just outside the entrance to the museum.

No, I am not joking. We can take an early morning run up to the park,
walk in and grab some tar and leave. Stack the cans in a plastic mortar
tub lined with kitty litter in the back of the car and let the tar run off.

For feathers, look for used pillows at Goodwill.

demnogis
05-01-2010, 10:19 AM
No mention of AB 1934?

Swiss
05-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Put the bill numbers in the SUBJECT line. We know they are listed within the post.

bill number are listed you even quoted them yourself ab1810 and ab2223

Hunt
05-01-2010, 6:40 PM

keen observer, I am convinced the politicos want to reduce us Americans down to 1 light bulb, one bicycle and on room to live in. This is social justice, standard of living equilibrium with chinese peasant. see what happens in 10 years.

SickofSoCal
05-01-2010, 6:42 PM
Tyrants.

robcoe
05-01-2010, 7:19 PM
Hm, If ab1810 goes through I will have to remember to finish buying my intended collection of long guns before it goes into effect(got the bolt rifle, still need the Mini 14 and a CMP M1 Garand.

cjsv
05-01-2010, 7:26 PM
As someone who remembers going to a sporting goods store with my dad in Canada, and walking out with a rifle or shotgun a few minutes later - the long guns registry has been an incredible waste of money, time and has not prevented or solved any crime. The registry has cost 2+ billion, is riddled with errors, and a giant waste of time.

Anti gun groups talk about how it saves women from being murdered, blah, blah, blah... but if they spent the 2+ billion on shelters or policing etc...

Laws should be based on fact, not emotion.

cdtx2001
05-01-2010, 7:31 PM
Laws should be based on fact, not emotion.

I agree fully, but good luck trying to get a politician to agree. All they do is pass laws based on how they feel it will help us, not what facts and figures say.

Somewhere I have a picture of a guy running out of an office yelling "Don't bother me with silly facts, I've already made up my mind!!!" Seems to fit our politicians.

cjsv
05-02-2010, 7:03 AM
I agree fully, but good luck trying to get a politician to agree. All they do is pass laws based on how they feel it will help us, not what facts and figures say.

Somewhere I have a picture of a guy running out of an office yelling "Don't bother me with silly facts, I've already made up my mind!!!" Seems to fit our politicians.

Ha! A near universal truth around the world. :) Pandering to emotion is a fairly evil thing in my mind.

vantec08
05-02-2010, 3:23 PM
Evil, command liner . . . .. . I love it

ddestruel
05-03-2010, 5:30 AM
I have often wondered why the NRA or other entities haven't pursued change through the initiative process. with the right marketing and timing many bad decisions in Sacramento could be limited via a broad initiative drafted to protect or prevent the limiting of the 2nd amendment. title it right and write it in a sense. after McDonald there may be an opportunity to write something that says the state can make no law limiting a constitutional freedom nor restricting access to.....

It just seems the general public would be there in force if it was packaged and sold right and the sac legislature would have its hands tied.

Librarian
05-03-2010, 6:45 AM
I have often wondered why the NRA or other entities haven't pursued change through the initiative process. with the right marketing and timing many bad decisions in Sacramento could be limited via a broad initiative drafted to protect or prevent the limiting of the 2nd amendment. title it right and write it in a sense. after McDonald there may be an opportunity to write something that says the state can make no law limiting a constitutional freedom nor restricting access to.....

It just seems the general public would be there in force if it was packaged and sold right and the sac legislature would have its hands tied.

FAQ - the answer is here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=156804)

singleshotman
05-03-2010, 6:53 AM
That is a Defeatist addititude, as old Adolf would say. Rebember the LAST TIME a gun prop. was on the ballot in 1982, that weould have banned all new handguns? That went down 66/33 NO. We should AT LEAST TRY.A great man once said "It's better to try and fail then never to try at all"

Librarian
05-03-2010, 6:24 PM
Defeatist? Perhaps.

Realistic, though.

I'll give you one problem that MUST be solved before an initiative can get on the ballot.

How will you get signatures? Even gunnies at gun shows won't sign up to vote - which they'd need to do to support a proposition.

Go off to the Secretary of State's site and look back through the prior years, and tell us which gun-positive propositions/initiatives were attempted, and what happened to them.

Now back up into the 2nd Amendment Politics and Laws forum, and read the McDonald vs Chicago threads, or directly read the case filings at the case web site (http://www.chicagoguncase.com/).

It's my opinion that getting the Supreme Court of the United States to lean on the California courts will take us a lot farther and faster than any proposition.

Flat Broke
05-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Naw, just think like the opposition. Make the marketable aspect of the initiative free food and booze for everyone on the state's dime. Somewhere in the 2000 pages of mindless dribble include a couple of 2a clauses, and then get all the freeloaders who never read legislation before voting on it to help with the signatures. Once it's voted in, the state wont have the $$ for the program and you're left with your 2a rights. Isn't that pretty much how they screwed corporations into paying 1099 taxes on any services or products over $600 per annum in the Obamacare package? ;)

And yes I'm being sarcastic, but don't deny the effectiveness of the tactic.

Chris