PDA

View Full Version : Couple first-time handgun buyer Questions

Sleeping Lesson
04-29-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm eagerly anticipating purchasing my first handgun when I turn 21 in August, but have a couple questions.

I have absolutely no inclination to believe I'm ineligible to purchase a gun, but am I required to send a PFEC? I just assume save myself $20 if I don't have to.

What other paperwork will I have to fill out? I understand I'll have to fill out a DROS at the time of sale, but what else should I do?

Last question, can I put a gun on layaway until I turn 21, and make the final purchase and pickup after my birthday?

Thanks!

littlejake
04-29-2010, 12:54 PM
see this thread --
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=295901

berto
04-29-2010, 12:55 PM
All firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a licensed dealer under the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) process. California imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a buyer or transferee. A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification).
(PC Section 12071)

Ed_in_Sac
04-29-2010, 1:33 PM
in late 2008 I decided to add a 45 auto to my inventory. Surprisingly, I had to wait for DMV to send me a new license with my current address printed on the front of it. My old license had a green address update card on the back from DMV but a couple of stores said they could not honor that as ID/proof of residency. So make sure your DMV info is current on the license.

EOD3
04-29-2010, 2:31 PM
I'm eagerly anticipating purchasing my first handgun when I turn 21 in August, but have a couple questions.

I have absolutely no inclination to believe I'm ineligible to purchase a gun, but am I required to send a PFEC? I just assume save myself $20 if I don't have to.

What other paperwork will I have to fill out? I understand I'll have to fill out a DROS at the time of sale, but what else should I do?

Last question, can I put a gun on layaway until I turn 21, and make the final purchase and pickup after my birthday?

Thanks!

You will need a handgun safety card (it was $25 bucks LLAIAGFA)
You will need to complete a DROS and pay for a background check (it was also $25)
You can't initiate a DROS until you are 21

Sleeping Lesson
04-29-2010, 2:33 PM
Thank you for the quick replies!

Ok, so bring my driver's license and a utility bill. Does the HSC take place at the time of the gun's purchase? And if put on layaway, will I do that the first time I put money on the gun? Can I complete the HSC without purchasing a gun? In my case, would I be able to complete it now at age 20 in preparation to buy the gun at age 21?

I'm looking to drop a grand for the FN Five seveN if anyone's curious.

smarter
04-29-2010, 2:43 PM
August is still like 3 months away. I don't see the need/rush to put a gun on layaway. Just save your dollar bills until then.

littlejake
04-29-2010, 2:51 PM
Thank you for the quick replies!

Ok, so bring my driver's license and a utility bill. Does the HSC take place at the time of the gun's purchase? And if put on layaway, will I do that the first time I put money on the gun? Can I complete the HSC without purchasing a gun? In my case, would I be able to complete it now at age 20 in preparation to buy the gun at age 21?

I'm looking to drop a grand for the FN Five seveN if anyone's curious.

"PC 12803. (a) No certified instructor may issue a handgun safety certificate to any person who has not complied with this article. Proof of compliance shall be forwarded to the department by certified instructors as frequently as the department may determine. (b) No certified instructor may issue a handgun safety certificate to any person who is under 18 years of age. (c) A violation of this section shall be grounds for the department to revoke the instructor's certification to issue handgun safety certificates."

It appears you may take the test now...

Ed_in_Sac
04-29-2010, 3:15 PM
And no, you don't have to purchase a gun to take the test.

Sleeping Lesson
04-29-2010, 3:20 PM
Thank you everyone, I appreciate the advice. Still have three months to mole it over, so we'll see how it turns out.

kennytt
04-29-2010, 3:29 PM
HSC is good for 5 years. Why do you have to complete it now? From now until August, you'll waste 4 months. Make sure to read the Study Guide for HSC first
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php

You will have 2 chances to pass it (70% out of 30 questions). If you fail after 2 tries, you would pay another $25 for the test. The good news is that it's so easy. You should pass it the first time. I got 100%. All the common sense stuff. Good luck.

saber
04-29-2010, 3:32 PM
Let me just add that if you do fail the test, I'm not sure you should be owning any handguns or other dangerous implements for that matter.

IMHO, you have to be a complete dumba** to fail it.

hit-man
04-29-2010, 4:11 PM
FYI, in addition to ensuring that your drivers license information is correct, you'll need have the HSC or apply for it at the time of purchase, and bring another form of proof of residency i.e. car registration, utility bill etc.

Cartero
04-29-2010, 4:52 PM
Is there a set price for a HSC test or do different stores charge different prices?

jasonnorcal
04-29-2010, 4:59 PM
If your license shows a po box then you need extra stuff, and also you would need to be an rtard not to get atleast 70% (C). I missed only 1. If you have a felony you can never have a gun.