PDA

View Full Version : New Calgunner + New AR build

sfonelson
04-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Hey everybody!

I guess this would technically be my first post, even though I have PM'd a few people here and there. This is a great site and I have definitely learned a lot during several hours of research over other posts. I have decided to join the AR-15 craze and build one myself as I have been a fan of this rifle for years.

I am new to this forum, but I am not new to firearms. I currently have a Smith&Wesson .40 410S, and a Sig P226 9mm. Both very fine handguns. I also have an old Marlin bolt action 22lr that used to be my grandfathers that I cherish and plan on keeping forever.

Now on to the good stuff. I just recently purchased two lowers from JD Machinetech and they were shipped to a local FFL where I have to settle some paperwork and the 10 day wait. I am not sure what I am going to do with the second lower right now, but it was recommended to buy two since I will be paying so much in transfer fee's and just bundle it all into one.

I was thinking about getting my upper built from tacticalcity, here are the specs I have so far

Barrel:
16 Inch 1x9 M-4 Barrel Chrome-Lined - Add $65
Handguard:
Carbine YHM Free Floating Lightweight 4-Rail - Add $78
Bolt and Carrier:
Standard Bolt and Carrier - Included in Base Price
Buttstock:
Magpul CTR Mil-Spec (Black) - Add $60
Rear Detachable Sight:
Arms #40 Flip-Up Rear Sight - Add $105.00
Muzzel Device:
A2 Flash Hider - Include in Base Price
Gas Block:
YHM Flip-Up Front Sight Gas Block - $65
Rear Grip:
Ergo Grip Right Handed Black - Add $17
Lower Parts Kits:
Lower Parts Kit w/ RRA 2-Stage Trigger - Add $80.00
Charging Handle:
Standard Charging Handle - Included in Base Price
Upper Receiver:
A3 Flat Top Upper w/ M4 Feedramps - Add $25.00

Now, I know everybody has their own opinions about things and what people should and shouldn't do, and I welcome that to some extent. But what I am really looking for is something clean, mid range, and scalable for possible ACOG clone or red dot sight.

I guess my main two questions are regarding the front flip up sight and the handguard. I decided on the free floating because some people state it's "better", but it happens to be cheaper than the two piece YHM 4 rail option. My second question is about the front sight gas block. While doing research on that, some say that the A2 sight is just fine, but I guess I want the clean look of a flip down front sight flipped down if I get optics down the road, so that's my thinking.

Anyways, that's about it. I am very excited to acquire this rifle, as I believe it is one of the weapons that has truly shaped societies.

Sidenote, please be gentle on your reply as I am still learning and my verbiage of parts and semantics may be wrong.

till44
04-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Looks like you have a good idea of what you want to do with your first rifle. The A2 sight will be fine, even with an ACOG style optic, but the option of folding down the front sight is a plus. As far as mid-range red dot/ACOG sights: I have heard good thing about Jeffu's ACOG clone, Primary Arms makes some good quality optics as well for a good price, and Bushnell, slightly pricier than the other two, makes good stuff.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=289648
http://www.primaryarms.com/

My only suggestion in in regards to your BUIS. If you're spending $105 on an ARMS BUIS, pay a few more and just get a Troy $110-120. And don't forget some form of BB/maglock.

sfonelson
04-29-2010, 11:25 AM
I actually saved that post as a shortcut for Jeffu's ACOG clone yesterday. =)

For BB I am going to go with Raddlock.

Looks like you have a good idea of what you want to do with your first rifle. The A2 sight will be fine, even with an ACOG style optic, but the option of folding down the front sight is a plus. As far as mid-range red dot/ACOG sights: I have heard good thing about Jeffu's ACOG clone, Primary Arms makes some good quality optics as well for a good price, and Bushnell, slightly pricier than the other two, makes good stuff.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=289648
http://www.primaryarms.com/

My only suggestion in in regards to your BUIS. If you're spending $105 on an ARMS BUIS, pay a few more and just get a Troy $110-120. And don't forget some form of BB/maglock.

twinjetguy
04-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey SF,

Alright! You took my advice and got two lowers! Trust me, you have made the right choice. I just bought my fifth lower yesterday, lol. I warned you, these things are addicting.

I have heard a lot of great things about Jeffus ACOG clones myself. I have check them out in person. For the price, they are pretty nice. I almost bought one but was under the impression that it lit up red, it does not. That was my personal choice. If you are on a budget and want the look of a ACOG, get one of his. He is a really nice guy too.

Can't wait to check out your build. Make sure to include the extra stripped lower in the pics too.

To the fellow cal gunners, not that I need to tell you, but SF is a really good guy. He pm'ed me asking for advice and he really has done his homework. Glad to have him on here.

sfonelson
04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey man!

Yup! The stripped lowers were just over 100 dollars so I was like, Ahhh, what the hell, sure, I'll get two. =)

Jeffu's ACOG's seem to get great reviews, especially for the price compared to an "authentic" ACOG. Before getting any optics I plan on learning the irons and rifle thoroughly.

But yeah, it's thanks to twinjetguy that I have gotten this far without seeming too newbish. He's loaded good and logical information!

Hey SF,

Alright! You took my advice and got two lowers! Trust me, you have made the right choice. I just bought my fifth lower yesterday, lol. I warned you, these things are addicting.

I have heard a lot of great things about Jeffus ACOG clones myself. I have check them out in person. For the price, they are pretty nice. I almost bought one but was under the impression that it lit up red, it does not. That was my personal choice. If you are on a budget and want the look of a ACOG, get one of his. He is a really nice guy too.

Can't wait to check out your build. Make sure to include the extra stripped lower in the pics too.

To the fellow cal gunners, not that I need to tell you, but SF is a really good guy. He pm'ed me asking for advice and he really has done his homework. Glad to have him on here.

twinjetguy
04-29-2010, 11:46 AM
He's loaded good and logical information!

I try to convince my g/f of this ALL the time but she isn't buying it! Thanks man!

Just some words on the A2 sights, I have them on my current 3 AR builds (one being a complete A2). The two M4's that have them co-witness perfectly with my Aimpoint red dot and the EOTech red dot. Plus it saved $100+ on a front sight.

Now I won't say this is 100% correct, but I have heard that the standard A2 sight gas block seals much better than the clamp on flat top gas blocks. Heard that the clamp on styles can leak. I am thinking on my next build I am going to buy a barrel with the A2 sight, then cut it down so it will fit underneathe the railed handguard I am buying.

After looking at your list of options, the YHM flip up sight gas block for only $65 does seem like a pretty damn good deal. Might want to consider matching it with a YHM rear instead of the ARMS? Just a thought, some might disagree.

Jeffu
04-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Sounds like a great first build, don't forget to take some pictures when you're done! Thanks for the compliments guys :)