PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Process - Newbie Info

davhed
04-29-2010, 9:55 AM
Since joining CalGuns.net I have been finding myself ogling all of the private sales, scouring websites for information about the coolest firearms around and those that I can afford too. I have read as much of the California gun code as I can tolerate so far, and the steps I would need to go through to buy a new handgun or participate in a private sale is still hazy to me .

Is there a simple resource for this information? What things do I need to have in order to buy a handgun in CA? I don't want to bid on anyone's private sale until I know I am covered and can be faithful to my offer.

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere on the forums, and I appreciate your info.

Thanks! :willy_nilly:
-=David

Librarian
04-29-2010, 10:09 AM
See the Calguns Foundation Wiki article here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California).

GnarlyMilk
04-29-2010, 10:27 AM
to buy a hand gun you need;

To be 21 or older.
Have a HSC
ID
a current bill with your place of residence
35$ for DROS ( $$for FFL if your shipping it in to a shop )
The $$ for the purchase of the gun :)

davhed
04-29-2010, 10:33 AM
This is perfect! Now I just need to find out where I can get an HSC near me and I'll be good to go.

From what I've seen about the HSC test, it's pretty mind numbing. Is "studying" necessary, or is it really as easy as the practice tests?

-=David

ponderosa
04-29-2010, 10:55 AM
A woodchuck could pass the HSC test with one arm tied behind its back.

Well, maybe not, it couldn't reach the counter my bet.

It is rather common sense/easy. There IS a study guide on the DOJ site in PDF, why not read it anyway?

wamphyri13
04-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Go to Reed's. It's not far from you. Take the HSC and check out their stock while you're there.
Ryan

And an amendment to what GnarlyMilk said, you need:
1)21 years or older (ID)
2)HSC card
3)Proof of Residence - a utility bill in your name with address, or your vehicle registration, home phone bill, something that establishes residence. Cell phone bill doesn't cut it.

davhed
04-29-2010, 11:16 AM
This is a great forum, I'm getting a little teary over here.

Sinixstar
04-29-2010, 11:34 AM
It's not a bad idea to read over the study guide. The majority of the questions are common sense, and you can pass it without reading. There are a few questions where CA is looking for a specific answer, but common sense would tell you a number of possible answers could be correct.

Also - just take your time and read the questions carefully. I found when I took mine there were a couple questions that were worded in a way that would trip you up if you're just breezing through.

GnarlyMilk
04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
I did not study and I got 100% and went through it in about 5 min. BUT ( lol ) I do know someone that failed the HSC... so there are people out there. You can miss 7 out of 30 questions. IMO it is very simple, probably to simple...

AlliedArmory
04-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I got a 100% without studying, but why not read over the study guide.

You will need the following to get a handgun

21 yrs of age
Govt issued ID (Drivers License or ID Card)
Current bill of current residence (Vehicle Registration works)
HSC Card