PDA

View Full Version : 1 handgun every 30 days question...

localguy
04-29-2010, 9:23 AM
I'm sure this will be quickly answered.

When does the 30 days rule take into effect, when you start DROS with an FFL on a handgun, or when you pick up said gun? For example if I buy a gun and start DROS on May 1st, I may pick up the gun May 11th but can I buy another pistol on June 1st or June 11th?

Thanks for answering! :cool:

halifax
04-29-2010, 9:31 AM
When the DROS is submitted it is date/time stamped. 30 24hr periods later you can DROS another handgun. 1 in 30 does not apply to PPT sales.

winnre
04-29-2010, 9:37 AM
Can I save an hour by driving to another time zone?

Black Majik
04-29-2010, 9:41 AM
Can I save an hour by driving to another time zone?

Then you would be outside of CA and the 1 in 30 days rule would not apply. ;)

winnre
04-29-2010, 9:44 AM
Then you would be outside of CA and the 1 in 30 days rule would not apply. ;)

So the 1 in 30 is a California thing and not nationwide?

Now I hate this place even ore!

ke6guj
04-29-2010, 9:52 AM
When the DROS is submitted it is date/time stamped. 30 24hr periods later you can DROS another handgun. 1 in 30 does not apply to PPT sales.except for in Los Angeles. I wouldn't normally mention it, but with the OP's location, it may come up depending on which gun shops he frequents.

1 SIG fan
04-29-2010, 9:55 AM
Buy 1. Wait 10. Pick it up. Wait 20 more. Buy another. Wait 10.
Wash rinse repeat. Luckly places let you stack them up so every month you get a gun. Like the fruit of the month club... But better

Baconator
04-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Just do PPT's, all you want. Cheaper than new anyway, and I haven't got burned yet on a used gun from a calgunner. I'm sure some other people may have been burned though.

winnre
04-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Just do PPT's, all you want. Cheaper than new anyway, and I haven't got burned yet on a used gun from a calgunner. I'm sure some other people may have been burned though.

But if you do it day after day your name goes to the feds as a frequent shopper.

GnarlyMilk
04-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Wait it changed to 1 new handgun a month. I though it was 2??

ke6guj
04-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Wait it changed to 1 new handgun a month. I though it was 2??
you can only transfer one handgun a month through a dealer, new or used does not matter, with limited exemptions like for PPT/cosignment transfers, C&R+COE exempt people, and LEOs.

its has never been "2-in-30-days".

localguy
04-29-2010, 11:51 AM
I do my PPT's and some of my sales at MBR (evil?) and I think its technically in culver city. Does this mean it is exempt from the 1 per 30 for PPT's?

GnarlyMilk
04-29-2010, 12:14 PM
you can only transfer one handgun a month through a dealer, new or used does not matter, with limited exemptions like for PPT/cosignment transfers, C&R+COE exempt people, and LEOs.

Oh I miss read, I though you were talking about buying new handguns... my bad

Bizcuits
04-29-2010, 5:44 PM
But if you do it day after day your name goes to the feds as a frequent shopper.

So?

ke6guj
04-29-2010, 5:50 PM
I do my PPT's and some of my sales at MBR (evil?) and I think its technically in culver city. Does this mean it is exempt from the 1 per 30 for PPT's?Culver City is not part of the City of LA, so LA's rules should not apply to purchases made there.

I did, however, hear that if you bought the first handgun in CC, either as a standard transfer or as a PPT, and then bought a second handgun in LA (as a PPT if the first one as a purchase, or as a purchase if the first one was a PPT) within 30-days, that CADOJ would decline the second DROS as violating LA's 1-in-30 law. Nice that CADOJ is helping LA enforce a law that shouldn't even exist due to preemption.

INJUNTOM
04-29-2010, 5:57 PM
I'm not understanding this one in 30 day thing anyways....

What's it help? I understand the cooldown period thinking, but what's the thinking for no more than 1 in 30 days?

I've had to wait twice now to get the next one.

I'll admit though, that it gave me time to change my mind on which one to buy though... Both times LOL

INJUNTOM
04-29-2010, 5:59 PM
Maybe that's it - only one a month so you have time to change your mind. I actually ended up buying a higher end gun than I originally planned for both times I had to wait.

Maybe the manufacturers are in on it...

ke6guj
04-29-2010, 6:01 PM
its to help stop you from being an unlicensed dealer selling handguns on the black market. It stops you from going in and buying 1 handgun a week (that way no multiple-handgun purchase report) and then selling them to "bad guys".

With the 1-in-30, you could buy 12 handguns to sell, without it, you could supply all the gangs in LA.

advocatusdiaboli
04-29-2010, 7:29 PM

Um, no. It used to be all you want which to me includes 2-in-30, 3-in-30, 4-in-30,..., n-in-30. So technically, it was once 2-in-30 :D

Just funnin' ya. Leave to an engineer who has had too much math in his life

ke6guj
04-29-2010, 7:36 PM
smarta**

Swoop
04-29-2010, 7:39 PM
I hate this law..

localguy
04-29-2010, 8:14 PM
I guess I have to buy 12 handguns every 365 days. ;)

ugimports
04-29-2010, 8:19 PM
I guess I have to buy 12 handguns every 365 days. ;)

Or, get your FFL03+COE and be exempt from the 1-in-30 days rule.

ChuckSteak
04-30-2010, 7:25 AM
Does the 30 day wait include rifles and shotguns? Or does it apply to handguns only?

1 SIG fan
04-30-2010, 7:31 AM
handguns only. However long guns still have the obligatory 10day backround check waiting period

localguy
04-30-2010, 7:34 AM
its to help stop you from being an unlicensed dealer selling handguns on the black market. It stops you from going in and buying 1 handgun a week (that way no multiple-handgun purchase report) and then selling them to "bad guys".

With the 1-in-30, you could buy 12 handguns to sell, without it, you could supply all the gangs in LA.

handguns only. However long guns still have the obligatory 10day backround check waiting period

Legislative reasoning: The homies can't handle the recoil of rifles or shotguns sideways. (Not that they can for handguns) Therefore, this rule was put in place for handguns only. :D

ChuckSteak
04-30-2010, 7:44 AM

Thanks for the answer. One more question. Can you purchase a rifle and a handgun in the same 10 waiting period?

In otehr words, can I buy a hand gun on May 1st (+10 day wait), then purchase a rifle on May 5th? Or do I have to wait until the 10 wait on the handgun is over before I can purchase the rifle?

Thanks in advance.

Merc1138
04-30-2010, 8:37 AM
Thanks for the answer. One more question. Can you purchase a rifle and a handgun in the same 10 waiting period?

In otehr words, can I buy a hand gun on May 1st (+10 day wait), then purchase a rifle on May 5th? Or do I have to wait until the 10 wait on the handgun is over before I can purchase the rifle?

Thanks in advance.

No. The handgun restriction is for handguns, and only handguns. In fact, it only applies to handguns transferred by a dealer, so you can buy as many handguns from other people doing a PPT as often as you want(although there's still that multiple purchase in 5 days from the same shop report). You can buy a handgun on May 1st, then by 10 rifles or shotguns on May 2nd if you wanted to. Or even 3 pistols via PPT on May 2nd.

winnre
04-30-2010, 9:55 AM
Or, get your FFL03+COE and be exempt from the 1-in-30 days rule.

And how easy is that to do?

Ed_Hazard
04-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Not as hard as you'd expect. Now that the crush has subsided some you can get the forms and start the process. Their was a reacent thread on here about someone who got the COE 3weeks after sending in his papers. Plus the added boinus of being able to purchase all the C&R firearms that are out of state. It'll save you from haveing a 18 month backlog of DROS's like I did at one time.

Search the forum, all kinds of good advice and pointers on how to go about it in some of the threads.

ugimports
04-30-2010, 10:19 AM
And how easy is that to do?

It's just paperwork. You can order the FFL03 Application from here:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/
On the right look for:
F 7CR (5310.16) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms

Order that packet. Fill it out, get your fingerprints, send in app+money.
Total costs with fingerprint fees probably <$100 depending how much it costs to get fingerprints where you're at.

For the COE, get this app:
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf
Fill it out, get your livescan done, send in required information.
Total costs with livescan fees probably ~$100 depending how much it costs to get the livescan done where you're at.

Basically for about $200, some passport photos, some filling out of paperwork, etc.. Assuming you can get a firearm there's no reason, I believe, that you'd get denied for either the 03 or the COE. Just note: when you get an FFL03 you will be audited at some point by the ATF for your 03 collection. There's also some minor paperwork to keep for your C&R firearms. If you don't actually use this to get C&R firearms you don't have to worry about the additional paperwork.

Other benefits of the FFL03 are discounts at Midway USA/Brownells. If you find yourself shopping at either of those places a lot then the FFL03 alone might be worth it just for that.

Dubels
04-30-2010, 5:48 PM
It's just paperwork. You can order the FFL03 Application from here:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/
On the right look for:
F 7CR (5310.16) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms

Order that packet. Fill it out, get your fingerprints, send in app+money.
Total costs with fingerprint fees probably <$100 depending how much it costs to get fingerprints where you're at.

For the COE, get this app:
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf
Fill it out, get your livescan done, send in required information.
Total costs with livescan fees probably ~$100 depending how much it costs to get the livescan done where you're at.

Basically for about $200, some passport photos, some filling out of paperwork, etc.. Assuming you can get a firearm there's no reason, I believe, that you'd get denied for either the 03 or the COE. Just note: when you get an FFL03 you will be audited at some point by the ATF for your 03 collection. There's also some minor paperwork to keep for your C&R firearms. If you don't actually use this to get C&R firearms you don't have to worry about the additional paperwork.

Other benefits of the FFL03 are discounts at Midway USA/Brownells. If you find yourself shopping at either of those places a lot then the FFL03 alone might be worth it just for that.

For the FFL03 License there is no need to get fingerprints done, I ordered the FBI fingerprints with my application but I was told by the ATF that I did not need them. I applied last month and my license came in today, my FFL03 cost me $30 for three years. I am thinking about getting my CA DOJ COE but I am not going to be buying handguns all that often and even on Feb 2011 the only ammo I need to order online is .22lr so I am not even sure then it would be worth it. But it is good to know that if I wanted to do it it would only cost me $130 total for a FFL03 and COE. When you get your FFL03 remember not to sign the original. When ever you need it make a copy and sign the copy.

ugimports
04-30-2010, 6:00 PM
For the FFL03 License there is no need to get fingerprints done, ...

It was so long ago I got mine I don't remember ;), but that'll save folks a little bit of cash!

DaveFJ80
04-30-2010, 6:19 PM
nevermind

K5Cruiser
04-30-2010, 6:35 PM
I did, however, hear that if you bought the first handgun in CC, either as a standard transfer or as a PPT, and then bought a second handgun in LA (as a PPT if the first one as a purchase, or as a purchase if the first one was a PPT) within 30-days, that CADOJ would decline the second DROS as violating LA's 1-in-30 law. Nice that CADOJ is helping LA enforce a law that shouldn't even exist due to preemption.
That is correct. This almost happened to me. I had done a PPT at Ammo Bros Cerritos, and then a few days later I went to Turners Reseda to do another PPT. Because the city of Reseda is patroled by LAPD, they fall under LA city rules with regards to 1 handgun in 30 days irregardless of it being a dealer sale or a PPT. The guy behind the counter at Turners Reseda started to do the transfer but when he inquired whether I had done any transfers recently, he stopped doing the transfer and suggested I go outside the city of LA or Reseda to do the transfer because DOJ would not let it go through.

RolinThundr
04-30-2010, 7:02 PM
So the 1 in 30 is a California thing and not nationwide?...

There are quite a few things that are a "California thing" & are not nationwide- for example:

1 in 30 for handgun purchases
HSC ($25) required for handgun purchase
Handgun registration (unknown amounts of taxpayer dollars spent to maintain with no positive/useful benefit)
10 day wait
$25 background fee (many states do not charge for background check)

Other states charge/tax gun owners as well and have their own schemes, but most states don't have all these laws.