PDA

View Full Version : Illegal to mail order ammo in SF and Sac?

advocatusdiaboli
04-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Th new statewide ban is not in effect yet, but I was considering purchasing some 20 gauge target loads and on a whim checked Able Ammo's restrictions. I was surprised to learn that you currently cannot mail order any kind of ammo in SF or Sacramento without an FFL.

Able Ammo Restrictions (http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/restrictions.php)

Big Jake
04-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Not surprised that SF would try such a thing, however, I doubt that it is legal. That said many things SF does are probably not legal, however, they do them anyway knowing that most individuals are not going to take the city to court to prove it's illegal.

They then can get away with it! :iagree:

paul0660
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-57156.html

rromeo
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Sacramento passed the ordinance a few years ago, and I believe a few other cities. I'm not sure about SF, but up here you get your ID photocopied.

Mikeb
04-29-2010, 11:45 AM
I tried to get 38-55 in Oakland and they wouldn't ship to me. Heck ,I bet there hasn't been a drive by or ride by shooting with 38-55 in more than 100 years...probably not then.
take care
Mike

b.faust
04-29-2010, 11:48 AM
J&G has mailed me ammo to an SF address with no problem.

Now, shipping out even a box of 20 from around here...

"we can't do that sir"
(even though it says on the website, no problem)

Very frustrating.

paul0660
04-29-2010, 11:53 AM
J&G has mailed me ammo to an SF address with no problem.

Now, shipping out even a box of 20 from around here...

"we can't do that sir"
(even though it says on the website, no problem)

Very frustrating.

You mean UPS, right? You can't us USPS to mail ammo. Neither can J&G.

fd15k
04-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Los Angeles city has such ordnance too. A few vendors would still ship there... What are the possible consequences of being busted while receiving mail ammo in a place like that ?

b.faust
04-29-2010, 12:21 PM
You mean UPS, right? You can't us USPS to mail ammo. Neither can J&G.

Yes, sorry. UPS
Good catch.

B

Hozr
04-29-2010, 12:50 PM
I mail order ammo in Sac all the time. If you buy it within the city limits you have to "register".

AIM will ship here

Eargasm
04-29-2010, 12:58 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=254305

Ding126
04-29-2010, 1:46 PM
People..please stop using the term " mail " when referring to shipping of ammo. It is illegal to ship ammo in the mail / USPS
I don't want someone to think mailing ammo is acceptable.

Ammo can be shipped via UPS & FED-X

Aldemar
04-29-2010, 1:54 PM
Los Angeles city has such ordnance too. A few vendors would still ship there... What are the possible consequences of being busted while receiving mail ammo in a place like that ?

Ammunition To Go has no problem shipping to Northridge, which is a part of Los Angeles. Ordered from them several times. Last order was yesterday.

bodger
04-29-2010, 5:56 PM
Ammunition To Go has no problem shipping to Northridge, which is a part of Los Angeles. Ordered from them several times. Last order was yesterday.

Good to know. Cabela's will also ship to Los Angeles. Midway won't, and a few others. I've been told it is not illegal because the shipper is not in LA city limits, therefore LA cannot place restrictions on them
I don't know if that's true or not, but City of LA can go pound sand up their butts, I order and receive all the time, and since I'm not the seller I'm not breaking any laws.