View Full Version : Leupold VX1 4-12x40 Scope AND Supersniper 10x42

Jicko
03-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what should I go get:
- Leupold VX1 4-12x40
OR
- Supersniper 10x42

Many great reviews on Leupold's scopes.... but VX1 series seems to be a lower cost series... I'm not sure whether that itself is good/ok? Midway have them for $249. This Leupold is a variable power, 4-12.

Supersniper got TONS of great review, and it is @ $299. What I don't like about SS is that it is "fixed" power.

For medium range, I have heard that 4x or 6x should be the max... for something like a forest/jungle hunting situation.... while... long range target shooting... a 10x or 12x would serve that purpose.... if I am solely gonna to use this scope for longer range shooting, I probably would just go get the SS.... but, the versatility of both mid-range and long-range is a PLUS for the Leupold.

Can someone comment on the quality of the Leupold VX1 series? As compare to the SS or as compare to their pricier series, VX2, VX3 and Mark4?

Thanks in advance for any help. It is SO HARD to find a stocking dealer down here in San Diego....

ldivinag
03-02-2006, 1:52 PM
yeah, that fixed power thing the deal breaker for me...

mkinla
03-02-2006, 2:28 PM
The Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 x 40 seems like a good buy for your price range.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=148288&EblastID=2272006

C.G.
03-02-2006, 2:34 PM
Hi all,

- Leupold VX1 4-12x40
OR
- Supersniper 10x42

Many great reviews on Leupold's scopes.... but VX1 series seems to be a lower cost series... I'm not sure whether that itself is good/ok? Midway have them for $249. This Leupold is a variable power, 4-12.

Supersniper got TONS of great review, and it is @ $299. What I don't like about SS is that it is "fixed" power.

For medium range, I have heard that 4x or 6x should be the max... for something like a forest/jungle hunting situation.... while... long range target shooting... a 10x or 12x would serve that purpose.... if I am solely gonna to use this scope for longer range shooting, I probably would just go get the SS.... but, the versatility of both mid-range and long-range is a PLUS for the Leupold.

Can someone comment on the quality of the Leupold VX1 series? As compare to the SS or as compare to their pricier series, VX2, VX3 and Mark4?

Thanks in advance for any help. It is SO HARD to find a stocking dealer down here in San Diego....

If you won't be hunting than I would go with the SS. I hear they are on backorder, though.

Jicko
03-02-2006, 3:42 PM
Is the SS optics SO MUCH more superior than the Leupold VX1 or Nikon Monarch?

I really want the ability to switch between 4x and 12x, a mid-range power and a longe-range power.

The fact that US Military uses 4x ACOG gave me a good feeling about using a 4x scope for general mid-range stuff... then... the 10x 12x 14x for long range would be nice.... and the versatility to switch between them is so nice....

Unless there is a HUGE reason why a fixed power scope is going to give me on top of a variable power scope... I think I am SOLD on getting a variable power....

And 2-7x or 3-9x or 4-12x or 4.5-14x?? I think I fav 4-12x.... for the reasons I mentioned above...

One last question... what MOUNTs are needed to mount a 4-12x40mm Leupold or Nikon to my AR?

By the way, what's the DIFFERENCE between the Nikon Buckmaster line and their Monach line???

And how do they compare to Leupold?

As for variable power scopes... I am currently comparing between Nikon and Leupold... any comments??

maxicon
03-02-2006, 3:44 PM
I have a VX1 4-12x40, and it's a very good scope. Note that I use it for simple paper punching, and am not looking for extreme accuracy or brightness.

What makes it less expensive is:

- Friction adjust rather than 1/4 MOA click adjust. This is no big deal for me, as I have several friction adjust Leupolds, and they adjust just as reliably as the click adjust models and hold their adjustments just fine.

- I believe the coating's better on the VX2 and above. The VX1 is multi-coated, but the VX2 and above use their new Multicoat 4, which has a very good reputation.

Note that the VX1 is similar to the older Vari-X II.

That said, a fixed power scope will generally have better optics than a multi-power scope, if everything else is equivalent, and there's less to go wrong. I tend to use mine cranked to the max most of the time.

Leupold's customer support is probably the best in the industry. I've got a handful of them, and all were bought used, with full faith in their lifetime support (which I haven't needed yet).

I don't have a SS, so I can't compare them directly.

Another variable-power scope series worth considering is the Burris Fullfield II. They're another popular mid-price good quality scope.

Be sure to keep an eye out at http://www.samplelist.com/ for excellent deals on lightly used optics from a great vendor.

max

stevie
03-02-2006, 3:50 PM
Main thing is what is the main function for the scope. Paper punching at 100, 200 yards? Hunting?

Paper punching a fixed power scope is fine but for hunting situations a 10X maybe a little over power if your game is 10 yards in front of you.

Determine what you mainly want it for, then go from there. That will give a better determination of type of optic and magnification or variable magnification required.

Jicko
03-02-2006, 4:01 PM
Usage: close to medium range tactical shooting, as well as long range(300yards and beyond) paper punching...

For CQB, I already have an EOTech.

I want to be able to go to a 3gun match, and then decide which one to mount.... (yet I don't want to have to buy a 4x scope for mid-range, then a 10x scope for long range.... )

PS. How do Leupold VX1 4-12x40mm compare to Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm?

6172crew
03-02-2006, 4:08 PM
The SS is a very tuff (good up to .50BMG) scope that will track well and has a bunch of adjusment for long range i.e 30mm tube.

I have a luppy also and the glass is alot clearer than the SS but the Luppy wasnt made to go to 600 yards with the mildots ethier.

The SS is a stepping stone to a bad *** US optics, you learn to use the mildots and learn how to adjust the target knobs, does the VX1 even have target knobs?:rolleyes: or do you have to remove the caps to make adjustments?

Jicko
03-02-2006, 4:20 PM
6172crew: thanks for your input!!! tell us MORE!!!

So, you have a Leupold? which model?

And I did hear about the "knobs" on the SS... and the mil-dots... all those *must* be good things.... so 10x is enough for 600yards?

Any experience with Nikon's?

maxicon
03-02-2006, 4:53 PM
The SS is a stepping stone to a bad *** US optics, you learn to use the mildots and learn how to adjust the target knobs, does the VX1 even have target knobs?:rolleyes: or do you have to remove the caps to make adjustments?

The VX1 is definitely not a tactical scope. It doesn't have target knobs, nor does it have mildots. It's primarily a hunting/target scope. To get this kind of feature in Leupolds, you have to move up to the VXIII series and above, which are dramatically more expensive.

If tactical features are important, the SS is definitely the better bet. To get Leupold brightness and quality along with target knobs, fancy reticles, and variable magnification, you'd be looking at a whole different level of scopes at a much higher cost, regardless of name brand.

max

grammaton76
03-02-2006, 5:29 PM

I'll preface this by saying I haven't paid attention to the scopes they're selling, but have you looked at Turner's and American Shooting Center? I know they have scopes, and I'm pretty sure I've seen Leupold in both locations, but maybe not the models you're looking for.

ohsmily
03-02-2006, 5:35 PM
I have (among many scopes) the SS 10x42M, Leupold 6.5-20x50 Tactical, and a Nikon buckmark 4-12x40.

The Leupold has the clearest glass by far. The SS is the best scope out there for the money and the buckmark is a nice hunting scope. If you are going to be "tactical" shooting, you need a scope with target knobs and thus the buckmark is not an option.

I think you answered your own question earlier about needing variable power. So get a variable power scope, BUT, I would recommend spending a little more than the VX1 series. I don't the VX1 has target knobs either (though Stoney point knobs might fit on it). Save up and get a better scope. The SS is a great scope, but you yourself mentioned that fixed power might not be suitable for your needs.

ohsmily
03-02-2006, 5:36 PM
I'll preface this by saying I haven't paid attention to the scopes they're selling, but have you looked at Turner's and American Shooting Center? I know they have scopes, and I'm pretty sure I've seen Leupold in both locations, but maybe not the models you're looking for.

Turners carries some scopes, (some leupolds, Zeiss, Simmons, Nikon, etc), but VERY few models of each (at least at the Kearny Mesa one) especially considering the immense Leupold product line alone.

Jicko
03-02-2006, 6:26 PM
I have (among many scopes) the SS 10x42M, Leupold 6.5-20x50 Tactical, and a Nikon buckmark 4-12x40.

Thanks so much!

So, "Leupold 6.5-20x50 Tactical", which line is it? Mark4?? Those are like *major* money!!!

What make a scope "tactical"? And what's "target knob"? Are they just the elevation and windage knobs? Aren't you not supposed to fiddle with them once you obtain ZERO on your scopes? Or is it the bullet drop knob... so, when you *know* your distance, you dial in the distance... and then you just try to shoot at the crosshair? (but without this, you can always use the mil-dots, right? if it is available....)

This is probably NOT what I want... but this is "economical"..... $279 for a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm, mil-dot

ady
03-02-2006, 7:17 PM
Hi all,

- Leupold VX1 4-12x40
OR
- Supersniper 10x42

What calibre are you going to be shooting?

Jicko
03-02-2006, 8:00 PM
What calibre are you going to be shooting?

.223 / 5.56 NATO..... on a 24" Stainsteel Bull Barrel... AR15....

ady
03-02-2006, 8:24 PM
.223 / 5.56 NATO..... on a 24" Stainsteel Bull Barrel... AR15....

I would use a 3x9-40.At best your only good to 200yds with any accuracy.So either a fixed 10 power or the 3x9-40.mil team's use fixed power as they would rather not have a variable break or malfunction,
Remember that the .223 Remington is a varmint cartridge. Despite its success as a military cartridge (where it produces "casualties"--not necessarily quick kills), it is not a big game cartridge and should not be used for hunting deer and antelope. Shooting a 55 grain bullet, its optimum game weight is only about 19 pounds at 200 yards.

ohsmily
03-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks so much!

So, "Leupold 6.5-20x50 Tactical", which line is it? Mark4?? Those are like *major* money!!!

What make a scope "tactical"? And what's "target knob"? Are they just the elevation and windage knobs? Aren't you not supposed to fiddle with them once you obtain ZERO on your scopes? Or is it the bullet drop knob... so, when you *know* your distance, you dial in the distance... and then you just try to shoot at the crosshair? (but without this, you can always use the mil-dots, right? if it is available....)

This is probably NOT what I want... but this is "economical"..... $279 for a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm, mil-dot

You should do some reading on the basics of ballistics and using optics. If you are going to be shooting at more than 1 fixed distance, you will/should be dialing in different dopes at every distance (and windage for wind adjustment). The buckmark you are thinking of getting will require you to use a coin or other tool to adjust the elevation and windage. With a "tactical" scope or imitation thereof, the knobs stick out so you can use your fingers to adjust elevation and windage. "Tactical" scopes (professional grade ones) are built tougher (tougher than we armchair commandos need) and can take a pretty good hit. They also have good glass and nice eye relief. And most scopes don't have bullet drop compensator knobs (which are just elevation knobs with range markings on them) they usually just have elevetion knobs with markings for minute of angle and how much distance they subtend after dialing.

Start with a cheaper scope (but not a crappy one like BSA or Tasco). Do some reading. Take a precision rifle class or find a mentor (one of the old guys who competes or something and has some time to help you) and you will gain knowledge about longer range shooting and so-called "tactical" shooting. Taking a precision rifle class will jump start you well.

ohsmily
03-02-2006, 10:24 PM
I would use a 3x9-40.At best your (sic) only good to 200yds with any accuracy.So either a fixed 10 power or the 3x9-40.mil team's use fixed power as they would rather not have a variable break or malfunction,
Remember that the .223 Remington is a varmint cartridge. Despite its success as a military cartridge (where it produces "casualties"--not necessarily quick kills), it is not a big game cartridge and should not be used for hunting deer and antelope. Shooting a 55 grain bullet, its optimum game weight is only about 19 pounds at 200 yards.

How do you figure .223 is only good to 200 yards with any accuracy? Can someone say...WRONG. .223 out of a 24 inch varmint barrel will EASILY get to 600 with under a 1 MOA group (assuming match ammunition and good upper). If you load some rounds with heavier bullets 68 grain, 75 grain, and 80 grain, you can even get to 1000 in some cases with the right circumstances (.223 loads getting to 1000 will have too long of an overall length to fit in a magazine though).

Ever heard of the Marines? Everyone qualifies as a rifleman which involves some strings of fire at 500 yards using iron sights and a sling, no scope.

.223 will get you WAY past 200 with plenty of accuracy.

bu-bye
03-02-2006, 10:53 PM
200 yards? Thats nothing. I know guys who shoot ground squirrels out to 500 600 yards with 223. With a heavy bullet (69gr and up) you can very much hit 1 MOA at those ranges. My DPMS 16" bull will shoot 1/4 MOA if the conditions are right. I have a Super Sniper and I like it very much. Don't let the fixed power scare you off. With practise you can engage targets as close as 50 yards. You just have to train your eyes to work with the scope. Use one eye to find your target while the scoped eye moves to that point. I can find my targets in seconds and I have the 16X model. Its all about training and knowing your rifle.

Jicko
03-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Start with a cheaper scope (but not a crappy one like BSA or Tasco). Do some reading. Take a precision rifle class or find a mentor (one of the old guys who competes or something and has some time to help you) and you will gain knowledge about longer range shooting and so-called "tactical" shooting. Taking a precision rifle class will jump start you well.

Smily: thanks for your tips... I think they are very honest and very true... and "start with a cheaper scope".... so... which one should I go invest in? I was thinking that one of the ones I mentioned above can acts as a "cheap scope" to start with.... Leupold VX1 or Nikon Buckmaster/Monarch or SS.... I prefer variable power tho....

crs1
03-03-2006, 9:04 AM
If you don't care about the tactical features of the Super Sniper, I would go with the Leupold. The optics quality is unrivaled (I know someone with a Zeiss or Kahles will argue that). Take a Leupold out to a field on a hot CA day and look at an object at range. Then look through a Tasco...You will be sold.

maxicon
03-03-2006, 9:33 AM
This gets back to the usage thing. If you want tactical features in a less expensive scope, you probably want to look at different lines. This way, you can see how you like them without spending $600 and up.

So, you need to ask yourself:

- What features do I really need/want?
- What features are nice to have, but I can do without?
- How important is overall scope/brand quality?
- What's my absolute top budget?

One you have that list, you can check out the scopes that have the features you want in your price range. I do this in an Excel spreadsheet and assign weights to each category, but I'm a tech geek.

Keep in mind that you'll need to learn how to use things like mil-dot or ranging reticles, bullet drop compensators, etc.
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=225&PN=1&TPN=1

If you buy a name brand with a decent reputation, you can get back a fair bit of your money if you decide to sell and get a different type of scope. If you get a cheap brand to see if you really need all that stuff, you'll take a beating on the resale, assuming the scope survives your testing.

For an inexpensive non-tactical scope, the cheap Leupolds are great - I have 4 or 5 of them, because you can get them cheap used if you keep an eye out, and their warranty and excellent support makes it a no-risk buy if you've done your homework.

One popular option for a less expensive scope with tactical features and decent quality is the Mueller line - http://www.muelleroptics.com/. For instance, you can get their 4-16x50 AO Tactical with mil-dot etched reticle, target knobs with clicks, and adjustable objective for under $250.

The downsides are that it's 50mm, which is brighter, but big and heavy, and needs extra-high rings for most apps. Still, as a first vari-power tactical scope for a reasonable price, it's hard to beat. If I wanted to buy a under-$300 tactical vari-power scope today, this is probably what I'd get.
http://www.snipercentral.com/muellertac.htm

Now, the Mueller's no Leupold, but it would cost you 3-5x as much to get all this in a Leupold, and Muellers have decent resale value.

Swift is another brand similar to Mueller - some people like them a lot for the money - but I have no experience with them.

The Bushnell 3200 Elite is considered a good value by many folks, though many Bushnells are junk (but the SuperSniper started life as a Tasco scope, so brand isn't always everything).

max

GTKrockeTT
03-03-2006, 9:39 AM
i'm in that same boat that has nothing but love for the Super Snipers.

Jicko
03-03-2006, 11:06 AM
One popular option for a less expensive scope with tactical features and decent quality is the Mueller line - http://www.muelleroptics.com/. For instance, you can get their 4-16x50 AO Tactical with mil-dot etched reticle, target knobs with clicks, and adjustable objective for under $250.

The downsides are that it's 50mm, which is brighter, but big and heavy, and needs extra-high rings for most apps. Still, as a first vari-power tactical scope for a reasonable price, it's hard to beat. If I wanted to buy a under-$300 tactical vari-power scope today, this is probably what I'd get.
http://www.snipercentral.com/muellertac.htm

Now, the Mueller's no Leupold, but it would cost you 3-5x as much to get all this in a Leupold, and Muellers have decent resale value.

Thanks for the pointer... I found the above mentioned scope for $189!! That seems to be a GREAT deal.... for the tactical features... and illuminated mil-dot reticle... the ONLY problem is that it is not 1st focal plane.... ie. the mil-dot is only accurate @ 10X (on this 4-16x) scope.... but I guess.... for the price... what else can I ask for? And for the weight... my rifle is so freaking heavy as it stand... 24" Stainless Steel Heavy Bull barrel, w/ Harris bipod... the added oz doesn't really matter... I think....

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3601

PS. I still want a Leupold tho.... somethine like the 3-9x Mark 4 PR or 3.5-10x Mark 4 PR or 4.5-16x Mark 4 PR.... yet.... $500+..... kinda hard to swallow... at this point...

maxicon
03-03-2006, 4:20 PM
$189 is an excellent deal. I've got to repeat, over and over - I have enough scopes...

Honestly, for the subtle details like focal planes, you've got to seriously care about your optics, and that bumps you up into the $500+ realm no matter what.

I always prefer starting out at the lower end, or I end up spending money on stuff that just doesn't matter to me in the long run.

It actually sounds perfect for a target upper like that if you don't have the budget for a major-league scope. My prediction is that you're going to start looking for a lighter upper next, and will get a more compact scope to go with it. That's what I did after I got my bull barrel varmint upper...

max

ohsmily
03-03-2006, 6:08 PM
Just remember, when you are building a "tactical" rifle, you should spend just as much or more on the scope than you do on the rifle. This especially goes for entry level tactical setups like Remington 700P's and varmints, etc. Spend about the same. Cheaper scopes will disappoint you down the line by breaking, losing zero, not having a good sight picture when the light gets dim, not tracking properly, etc. Granted, it might be better to get a cheapy to start off with so you at least have something to shoot the rifle with while you are saving up for a better optic.

Use a solid ring and base setup too. There are MANY options these days.

Jicko
03-05-2006, 5:58 PM
How about Leupold Precision Rifle 3-9x40 Mil-dot? This is their Tactical series.... altho.... $489....

ohsmily
03-05-2006, 6:12 PM
Nothing wrong with that scope. Great choice. Go for it. (that is a good magnification too, so many people go for MONSTER magnification when that is usually far more than what is needed and will be detrimental in practical situations). 3-9 is great.

LOW2000
03-05-2006, 7:44 PM
From what I understand, the mildots only "work" at one power in a variable scope. So it a 4-10x40, the mildots are only accurate at 10x. Dunno if you'll be actually using them to range targets or not, but if you do, thats somewhat important.

I need to get a mildot master to help me cheat at using my SS 10x42.

triaged
03-05-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm not too into all the tactical stuff so I don't see the need for mil-dots and target knobs...

I have one of these.
http://natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=BU200162PKG&src=ba240
...but I payed about that without the spotting scope:o

Burris are good USA made scopes with a transferable 'forever' warranty.

maxicon
03-06-2006, 7:32 AM
That Burris has had good reviews over at http://www.opticstalk.com/. I've only got one Burris scope - a 1.5-4x EER pistol scope - and I haven't used it a lot, but it's been good so far.

Some folks over there like the FFII better than the VXI, or even the VXII series, but it's the topic of many holy wars...

max

6172crew
03-06-2006, 5:26 PM
When I was looking for a scope in the 200-400 range I ran across alot of good stuff and it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

200-300 range you should look at the Burris diamond, bushnell elite, SS,
4-500 look into the Loopys, Ziess conquest, busnell elite.
5-700 look into loopys, ziess and that new SWFA thing thats new. (us exotic I think)

C.G.
03-06-2006, 5:28 PM
5-700 look into loopys, ziess and that new SWFA thing thats new. (us exotic I think)

Xotic scope, I like it. At the moment they are out; a new version is supposed to be coming out "soon".

Jicko
03-06-2006, 6:21 PM
How about Leupold Precision Rifle 3-9x40 Mil-dot? This is their Tactical series.... altho.... $489....

http://www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/Mark_4_3-9x40mm_PR.htm

Anyone have one of these and can comment on which magnification do the Mil-dot work at?

And do this scope have target knobs?

I *may* be willing to shell out the money....

GTKrockeTT
03-06-2006, 6:47 PM
my recommendation for your price point:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=123471

and, it's on sale too...now factor in the Midway discount = the winner!

This offer will absolutely expire at 11:59 PM CT on March 12 - no exceptions.
From now until March 12, buy any IN-STOCK, regular or sale priced, scope, red
dot sight or laser sight priced $250.00 or over and save an additional $25.00!
This includes all brands of in-stock merchandise! Order today for best
selection!

To receive your $25 off, enter the promotion code SCOPE250 in the box entitled
"Promotion Code" on the shopping cart page. You will see the discount on the
confirmation page before placing your order. Remember, this promotion code is
valid for orders placed on MidwayUSA.com and limited to one per customer.
Hurry, this special offer ends March 12, 2006.

Jicko
03-06-2006, 7:15 PM
Is it better than Leupold? Despite the fact that this one does 24x... which I doubt I'll need....

my recommendation for your price point:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=123471

and, it's on sale too...now factor in the Midway discount = the winner!

GTKrockeTT
03-06-2006, 7:39 PM
i doubt you'll find too many people that will bad mouth sightrons. obviously, it won't compare to the higher echelon scopes, but the quality vs economy ratio is arguably one of the highest among scopes.

ohsmily
03-06-2006, 9:14 PM
http://www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/Mark_4_3-9x40mm_PR.htm

Anyone have one of these and can comment on which magnification do the Mil-dot work at?

And do this scope have target knobs?

I *may* be willing to shell out the money....

Uh, you can see the target knobs right there in the picture. Non-target knobs are very low profile and can't usually be turned with the fingers and require a coin or tool to adjust.

And to the guy who says he doesn't use "tactical" stuff or target knobs for optics doesn't change distance very frequently or shoot in the types of matches that require target acquisition at varying ranges. If all you do is punch paper at 100, then you don't need target knobs.

Jicko
03-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks everyone one..... I ordered the Leupold Mark 4 PR 3-9x40mm Mil-dot.... and I hope I will be happy with that decision!!

I also ordered its 4" sunshade, the 2 Leupold Flip-up lens cover and the rubber eye-piece....

Now, I need to go hunt for some rings... to mount this onto my AR!

Damn, this thing cost almost as much as the rifle.... it only cost'ed me $575 to build the rifle.... $330 DPMS 24" top, $100 lowers, $60 LPK, $85 Ace FX stock..... the scope costed me just above $500!!!!!!

GTKrockeTT
03-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks everyone one..... I ordered the Leupold Mark 4 PR 3-9x40mm Mil-dot.... and I hope I will be happy with that decision!!

I also ordered its 4" sunshade, the 2 Leupold Flip-up lens cover and the rubber eye-piece....

Now, I need to go hunt for some rings... to mount this onto my AR!

Damn, this thing cost almost as much as the rifle.... it only cost'ed me $575 to build the rifle.... $330 DPMS 24" top, $100 lowers, $60 LPK, $85 Ace FX stock..... the scope costed me just above $500!!!!!!

that's the way it goes...as cheap as the rifle was to build, it could have easily cost you double the amount on the optics.

Jicko
03-15-2006, 3:04 PM
Anyone know of any 1-piece rings and mount that will work with this 1" Leupold and the AR flat-top?

GTKrockeTT
03-15-2006, 3:16 PM
since it's a flat top, all you would need are rings.

of course, you could get the larue spr or armalite mounts w/rings if you want to elevate and further adjustment on the eye relief.

you may also want to decide if you want quick release rings, or if more permanent ones are sufficient. that said, there's been a ton of recent posts/threads on this subject....leupold PRW/QRW, badger ordnance, even burris signatures may work. there are many, MANY more choices.

just don't skimp on the rings since you have a fairly decent scope.

maxicon
03-15-2006, 3:46 PM
The Armalite 1 piece mount is popular - a good value at $89:

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/mounts_rings.htm - at the bottom of the page.

They're semi-quick release (coin slot/thumb nuts), solid as a rock, and give a good bit of height. They also avoid any ring alignment issues, and move the scope a bit forward if you need more eye relief like I do.

On the downside, they're not very flexible - if they don't fit your scope well, or if you want the scope further back, you don't have the adjustments a pair of separate rings will give you.

They're a bit heavy at 211 grams (7.5 oz), and maybe a bit of overkill for a sporting AR.

If it were me, I'd probably buy a pair of Leupold QRWs in high or extra-high, depending on your iron sights choices. They're a little less expensive and weigh less (my mediums are 162g (5.8 oz), and I love the quick release levers.

Jicko
03-15-2006, 4:33 PM
This is where the ARMS SWAN Sleeve came in handy........ you can put it anywhere....

Jicko
03-18-2006, 7:16 PM
My Leupold QRW rings came in today....

And according to UPS tracking, my Mark 4 will get in Monday!!

I got a GREAT deal on my Leupold Mark 4 PR 3-9x40mm Mil-dot Scope (Model: 56870) from SWFA (here) (http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU56870/leupold_3-9x40_mark_4_pr_riflescope.htm), I did a price match from Budsgunshop (here) (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/37810), and ended up getting that Mark 4 for $420 (vs $489 MSRP)!!!! But then at the end, after also getting the sunshade, and the 2 Leupold Alumina Flip-up lens covers.... it is back up to way over $500.... :p

Then all I need is some good weather.... :(

Jicko
03-20-2006, 3:01 PM
JUST the QRW HIGH rings are NOT GOOD ENOUGH.... :mad:

It mounted TOO LOW.... i had to push my cheek into my ACEFX stock until it HURTS before I can see the sight pic...

I guess... I need to go hunt for a GG&G scout rail....

My Leupold QRW rings came in today....

And according to UPS tracking, my Mark 4 will get in Monday!!

I got a GREAT deal on my Leupold Mark 4 PR 3-9x40mm Mil-dot Scope (Model: 56870) from SWFA (here) (http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU56870/leupold_3-9x40_mark_4_pr_riflescope.htm), I did a price match from Budsgunshop (here) (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/37810), and ended up getting that Mark 4 for $420 (vs $489 MSRP)!!!! But then at the end, after also getting the sunshade, and the 2 Leupold Alumina Flip-up lens covers.... it is back up to way over $500.... :p

Then all I need is some good weather.... :(

GTKrockeTT
03-20-2006, 3:18 PM
don't be a puss, just shave some cheek material until you have a nice fit.:D

maxicon
03-20-2006, 4:07 PM
Other good rails worth checking out are:

ARMS 36 or 36EX (or 38 with an ARMS 40 built in, but this can give scope clearance problems)
http://www.armsmounts.com/catalog.php?action=110&cat_id=1&offset=20

YHM scope riser or rail riser - less expensive than many of the other guys
http://www.yhm.net/store/rails.html

RRA extended scout rail
http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0134&storeid=1&image=mnts3.gif&CFID=9182315&CFTOKEN=27863101&jsessionid=c0308466787e$3Dmz$3F

Yep, it's a jungle out there.

max

Jicko
03-20-2006, 4:16 PM
YHM scope riser or rail riser - less expensive than many of the other guys
http://www.yhm.net/store/rails.html

"YHM Scope Riser - YHM-227A"
Anyone have any experience with this particular one? It is only $24! from eaglefirearms.net

or will "YHM 5" Rail Extension YHM-9474" works?

maxicon
03-20-2006, 9:58 PM
I don't have either one, but did a good bit of research on them. I did get the GG&G scout rail, ARMS 38EX, and RRA scout rail.

The YHM-9474 rail extension is designed to go at the front of the rail and provide a scout-style extension, as seen in this pic:
http://www.bushmasterfirearms.com/shopping/bmas/yhm-9474.asp

It's going to to provide extra eye relief, but not as much flexibility. It's a fairly specialized piece of gear, IMO.

The YHM-227A scope riser is to elevate the existing rail and provide a little extra length. If your eye relief is good with the existing rail, but you need more height, this is the one to go with.

It looks like a lighter weight, non-quick-detach version of their standard rail extenders, partway between the short and medium lengths. The rail risers appear to have more support along the entire length.

cornholio1
09-15-2007, 10:31 PM
whats the warranty on the Nikon stuff?