PDA

View Full Version : Road to Nowhere: FBI probes links between state Sen. Don Perata and a $40M roadway...

bwiese
03-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Road To Nowhere
The FBI probes links between state Senator Don Perata and a $40 million roadway project designed to enrich Alameda developer Ron Cowan

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Issues/2006-03-01/news/feature.html

Teflon Don Employs Jacko's Dick
Don Perata's new private eye has helped the likes of Michael Jackson suss out grand jury witnesses and dig up dirt to discredit them.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Issues/2005-10-05/news/cityside.html

Stalking the Senator
As Don Perata snuck in and out through the kitchen door of the Oakland Airport Hilton, his stature seemed diminished.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Issues/2004-11-24/news/cityofwarts.html

ON THE SENATOR'S TRAIL
A timeline in the FBI probe of Don Perata.

September 2003
Following a nasty breakup, Frank Wishom, former boyfriend of Oakland powerhouse lobbyist Lily Hu, contacts the FBI and accuses Hu of accepting kickbacks from her clients. Hu is a former staffer of state Senate boss Don Perata who maintained a close relationship with the senator. Her clients include some of Perata's close friends and major campaign donors.

October 2004
The FBI searches Hu's home in Oakland's upscale Crocker Highlands neighborhood. Sources said the FBI was also looking for evidence as to whether Perata ever received kickbacks via Hu. ... The US Attorney's Office empanels a grand jury with Perata as the main target of the probe.

November 2004
Federal subpoenas are served on several private firms associated with Hu and/or Perata, including some of his biggest campaign contributors. BART also receives a federal subpoena demanding all documents and payment records for Perata and Hu; companies owned by Perata's son Nick and daughter Rebecca Perata-Rosati; consultant Sandra Polka; and Timothy Staples, Perata's college roommate and business partner. Perata and the others named in the subpoenas deny any wrongdoing. The Express breaks the story of the investigation.

December 15, 2004
The FBI searches the homes of Perata and his son Nick. Federal agents, including some from the IRS, carry away boxes of documents and two computers from the younger Perata's house. Oakland political insiders have quietly speculated for years as to whether Don Perata may have laundered campaign contributions through his son. Nick Perata and his companies, Exit Strategies and NRP Productions, have raked in nearly $1 million since 1998 for ill-defined consulting work on his father's campaigns and committees associated with him.

February 2005
The grand jury subpoenas Caltrans, demanding documents related to Perata, Polka, and Ezra Rapport, a longtime Perata ally and former aide. The Oakland Tribune cites sources who believed the feds were investigating a 2003 Perata transportation bill that was approved by voters the following year, authorizing a $1 toll increase on Bay Area bridges. Both Polka, a former aide to former state Senator John Burton, and Rapport, a former Oakland deputy city manager, worked on the bridge toll measure.

April 2005
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that "The FBI has expanded its investigation of state Senate leader Don Perata in recent weeks, interviewing current and former members of his staff as well as lawyers and lobbyists for Bay Area card clubs that hired Perata's business partner [Timothy Staples] at the senator's suggestion."

May 2005
The Sacramento Bee reports that the FBI has demanded "copies of all e-mails sent by the Oakland Democrat and eight legislative staffers during his first six years in the upper house."

June 2005
The feds send subpoenas to the Port of Oakland, the city of Alameda, and the Alameda County Transportation Authority demanding records pertaining to payments made years earlier to Dawson Mathis, a Washington lobbyist. Records obtained by the Express show that Perata steered lucrative work to Mathis to fast-track federal approval of what would later become the Ron Cowan Parkway. Some time after the subpoenas are issued, FBI agents contact several of the players involved, including Ron Cowan, a prominent Alameda developer and major campaign contributor to Don Perata.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/issues/2005-02-02/news/bottomfeeder_full.html

Save the Don

You know you've made it to the big time in politics these days when you have to form a legal defense fund. Bill Clinton had one. Lieutenant Governor Cruz Bustamante has one. Secretary of State Kevin Shelley started one last fall. And now our own beloved state Senator, Don Perata, has one. The Friends of Don Perata Legal Defense Fund was formed on January 13. "I'm surprised he hasn't done it before," says Bob Stern, president of Center for Government Studies, a Los Angeles-based nonprofit think tank. "I imagine he has a lot of legal defense fees."

But having waited until after the New Year, Perata won't have to reveal who has donated to the defense fund until several months from now, when the first public quarterly report is due. The Don is at the center of a public corruption probe by the FBI, which started mailing subpoenas in late October. Perata has hired Sacramento attorney George O'Connell to represent him.

Money raised for the defense fund must be used to pay for legal costs. Won't donors to the fund just be inviting unwanted scrutiny by federal investigators? Not necessarily, Stern says. And by giving to Perata's defense fund they can buy access to the Senate prez just as they do with regular donations.

It is, however, a risky investment. If the feds get an indictment and then a conviction, access to the Don will be limited to the correctional facility's visiting hours. ***

caduckgunner
03-02-2006, 11:20 AM
So if he gets convicted of a felony, he will lose his CCW privlages and his gun ......... ahh how sad:rolleyes:

6172crew
03-02-2006, 11:35 AM
best thing to happen to gun owners this year. between scott and this clown we have an out of control anti-gun state.

phish
03-02-2006, 12:34 PM
read it last night while waiting for take-out

I remember that story on the local news too when it broke out 2 years ago. I hope that hypocrite gets nailed for this, but there hasn't been and indictment handed down.

but you have to wonder why Perata has spent a considerable sum for his defense :rolleyes:

LOW2000
03-02-2006, 1:16 PM
The law says that you're not supposed to be able to have a gun if you're a felon, but that doesn't really apply to the rich and famous, there are plenty of stars who have felonies yet still have CCW permits.

xenophobe
03-02-2006, 2:10 PM
I sure hope he gets buried....

shopkeep
03-02-2006, 2:27 PM
read it last night while waiting for take-out

I remember that story on the local news too when it broke out 2 years ago. I hope that hypocrite gets nailed for this, but there hasn't been and indictment handed down.

but you have to wonder why Perata has spent a considerable sum for his defense :rolleyes:

As for indictments, they'll probably wait until after he's out of office in November and then nail him with one. Keeps it more quiet that way and reduces the amount of potential allies he has. Once he's out of office (he's about to term limit out) people aren't going to care about paying big bucks for his legal defense anymore because they won't be getting a return on their investment.

As for why he's now spent over $100 million on his defense and private investigator, that tells us that the Feds have a pretty solid case against him. We should be seeing something later this year.

Pablo
03-02-2006, 3:03 PM
I sure hope he gets buried....

Same here! I'm keeping my fingers crossed...:D

phish
03-02-2006, 3:40 PM
Upon further recollection, Perata even had a private investigator sniff around to find out what the FBI is doing.

If Perata is innocent, which is what he's claiming, why is he sinking all this money into his defense? mmmm hmmm ;)

he ought to move to Texas himself

I'll never forget his Texas comment, that just pissed me off to no end, fraking elitist. :mad:

grammaton76
03-02-2006, 4:18 PM
he ought to move to Texas himself

I'll never forget his Texas comment, that just pissed me off to no end, fraking elitist. :mad:

What comment was this - was he telling gun-owning Californians to go move to Texas? Sounds like what most American gun-owners keep telling us to do, to me...

Sgt Raven
03-02-2006, 4:35 PM
What comment was this - was he telling gun-owning Californians to go move to Texas? Sounds like what most American gun-owners keep telling us to do, to me...

I think that's what he told a Olympic jr. shooter when her pistol was outlawed.

phish
03-02-2006, 4:38 PM
^ correct

It was because of that comment that target pistols were placed on a list that exempts them from the "drop test". It's kind of a reverse Kasler list if you will: whatever goes on there gets the green light to be sold without undergoing testing.

dwtt
03-02-2006, 8:35 PM
Don Perata is walking in the footsteps of Willie "If you disagree with me you are a racist" Brown, except Willie was able to keep the feds off his trail. I hope Perata gets convicted. There has to be justice some time in his lifetime.

jdberger
03-02-2006, 10:36 PM
As for why he's now spent over $100 million on his defense and private investigator, that tells us that the Feds have a pretty solid case against him. We should be seeing something later this year.
Where did you get this $100 million number? That is a LOT of money for legal defense.

And for all of you who wish Perata ill, think for a minute who his successor might be. His destruction might be a Pyhrric victory.

bwiese
03-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Where did you get this $100 million number? That is a
LOT of money for legal defense.

I think we accidentally added some zeros: I believe it's really around $100K.

And for all of you who wish Perata ill, think for a minute who his successor might be. His destruction might be a Pyhrric victory.

Can't be any worse. Guns may be a lower focus for a replacement, given Perata's intensity on the issue.

Plus the new person would be in "junior standing" and with less legislative weight for awhile...

GW
03-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Where did you get this $100 million number? That is a LOT of money for legal defense.

Who be than the author

GW
03-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Who be worse than the author of SB-23?
Perata is a hypocrite of the worst order
CCW for him but not for you
Bah!

crs1
03-06-2006, 1:24 PM
I wonder how much range time he has, and where he goes to practice....After all, if you have the responsibility of carrying a gun, isn't it your responsibility to practice?

It always cracks me up that celebrities and politicians have the right to defend themselves, and we don't. I guess their lives are worth more than ours.

I hope the guy gets his fair share of justice, since "Duke" Cunningham seemingly just got nailed for lining pockets of his associates. At least it could be shown that the Libs are the worst offenders.