PDA

View Full Version : How and why I pinned my AR collapsable stock

crackerman
04-28-2010, 11:10 PM
So I am changing my rifle slowly to featureless so I can run my high cap mags that I've had for years. When I started my build I actually wanted a fixed stock but Nordiclefs collapsible stocks here was to good to pass up. Now that I have a MAGPUL ASAP and like running a single point sling I didn't want to lose that.

I drilled 2 1/8" holes in the stock body through the buffer channel where the movable part locks into. So no problem with the buffer and spring still moving. I then drive 2 1/8" roll pins from trigger guards that were 2 bucks a piece at OC armory. The lock up is tight and there is no wiggle left in the stock. The nice thing is that with just a punch I can make the stock collapsable and you would never know it was fixed.

Total time 15 minutes, total cost $4. If you want a simple cheap mod that is totally reversible, its tough to beat. Pics below.

http://auxcoastie.smugmug.com/photos/851297257_oCXUM-XL.jpg
http://auxcoastie.smugmug.com/photos/851297419_VXRNc-XL.jpg

mofo74
04-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Very cool. :thumbsup:

I'm looking to start a featureless build. I'll probably end up doing the same.

shark92651
04-29-2010, 6:04 AM
Good job, although with the proper size punch you probably could have avoided dinging the stock like that (or was that from the drill?). Probably wouldn't have even noticed it if your macro abilities with the camera weren't so good :D That's pretty much the way we pin them, although we only use a single roll pin and the position depends on the type of stock - but through the rib is the way to go. I've pinned a Magpul ACS and the roll pin ends up completely hidden under the cheek piece/battery compartment.

Paratus et Vigilans
04-29-2010, 6:10 AM
What do you plan to do with the grip when you go featureless?

dpharley
04-29-2010, 7:41 AM
With Featureless can you not have a collapsible stock? Curious what the rules are on this setup.

Gio
04-29-2010, 7:45 AM
With Featureless can you not have a collapsible stock? Curious what the rules are on this setup.

That is correct, no collapsible stock, pistol grip or flash hider. Pinning a stock such as the ACS and CTR are easy, I figured out a way to do the CTR last July. Then my friend and I figured out how to do the ACS not too long ago, it takes a few minutes but can be undone if wanted later on.

Also from the looks of things he is still getting things ready to go featureless all the way. As long as he only uses a 10 round mag and still has a mag lock he is good to go. After he gets rid of the 3 evil features then he is good to go all the way and toss the mag lock and apply 10+ mags ;)

-Gio

CHS
04-29-2010, 8:57 AM

The "features" on a semi-automatic, centerfire rifle that would make an AW are:

Flash hider
Collapsible or folding stock
Thumbhole stock
Pistol grip
Vertical forward grip
Flare launcher or Grenade launcher.

If you want to have detachable magazines you cannot have *ANY* of those.

Omega13device
04-29-2010, 9:10 AM
Neat solution. I wouldn't have pinned it fully extended but maybe your arms are longer than mine. You could easily drill a second set of holes in the buffer tube farther up. Then it's as simple as removing the upper from the lower (so you don't make an features-based AW when you take the pins out), adjusting the stock up to the front pin holes, tapping the pins back in, and putting the upper back on.

The other way I've seen pinning done is to lock the adjustment lever by drilling a hole in the end (where you press it) and running a small bolt through there, locked with a nut. You can't depress the adjustment lever so the stock is locked.

crackerman
04-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, the rifle is still raddlocked and fully complies with the flowchart. No felonies make for a happier me.

Shark, there are defiantly ways of doing it a bit cleaner, and the marks are from the drill bit. I was using a hand drill on the living room floor about 10:30 last night before the wife went to bed so it had a to be a bit quick

I used two pins because I wanted it to lock up a bit tighter than I thought one would. It is also a little backup if one were to magically disappear. To make it look a little better I might take some black silicone and fill that little spot in so you donít even see the pins. That way I could take the silicone out if I wanted to move it.

Gio thanks for the PM about the CTR, I was going to get one but my budget has a little less budge right now so I had to use what I got.

Paratus, I think I am going to go with the hammer head or kydex grip wrap. I plan to get a .22 upper and want to be able to do back and forth without to much craziness.

Omega its actually at position 5 of the 6 that nordiclefs stocks go to. 5 just fits me right, but the stock could be pinned where it fits the primary shooter the best. I thought about just a bolt through the adjusting lever but I thought this way looked a little cleaner on the ultimate tinker toys we build.

Deadpool
04-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Omega- I had thought of pinning mine the way you mentioned, but then I realized that you can actually grab the spring loaded pin with your fingers and pull it out enough to allow you to adjust the stock without the lever. At least that's how it is on mine. Just a caution.

sreiter
04-29-2010, 10:33 AM
interesting, but...........wouldn't a hammer and punch in your house create a "constructive possession" situation?

after all, its not like these pins permanently fix the stock.

Chatterbox
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
interesting, but...........wouldn't a hammer and punch in your house create a "constructive possession" situation?

No more then having a hacksaw creates a "constructive possession" for a short barrel rifle.

ParallaxTactical.com
04-29-2010, 10:37 AM

Cal Rifle AW laws don't have constructive possession.

GMONEY
04-29-2010, 10:47 AM
should have just built another one...:)

Dirtbiker
04-29-2010, 10:47 AM
What are you going to replace the pistol grip with?

I run an A2 stock, muzzlebrake, and a solar tactical grip wrap.

Jicko
04-29-2010, 11:13 AM

Where in the PC did it call for stock being permanently fixed? It only called for telescoping stock being an evil feature.... the above stock is certainly NOT telescoping....

CHS
04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Where in the PC did it call for stock being permanently fixed? It only called for telescoping stock being an evil feature.... the above stock is certainly NOT telescoping....

^^^ this

Permanence is not required.

sreiter
04-29-2010, 8:47 PM

but, if you have the means readily at hand to change it to a evil feature, that = constructive possession.

CHS
04-29-2010, 9:10 PM
but, if you have the means readily at hand to change it to a evil feature, that = constructive possession.

Newp.

Constructive possession DOES NOT apply to the CA AWB.

Period.

shark92651
04-29-2010, 9:30 PM

If that were true than anyone with a prince50, Bullet Button, Raddlock, etc... and a screwdriver or allen wrench would also equal constructive possession. bdsmchs is right on this one - does not apply to CA AW laws.

joelogic
04-29-2010, 9:59 PM
It took me a while to get through my head that Constructive possession applies to federal stuff. Such as a pistol upper and no pistol lower but a rifle lower. full auto parts. threaded pistol barrel. 10/22 and a 2 liter bottle. ;)

Greg-Dawg
04-30-2010, 4:14 AM
Personally, that's a waste of a good stock. But hey, whatever floats your boat....or you can just build another AR.