PDA

View Full Version : New Thread: Which of these 9mm's would you pick for a first handgun?

Henry Hill
04-28-2010, 9:21 PM
Other thread I made I included the Smith and Wesson Revolver, which isn't an option anymore because its his only revolver and he loves it :43:

So my pops is giving me one of his 9mm's for my 21st. He gave me 3 to choose from:

1) Interarms Firestar 9mm
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1724/cimg3826k.jpg
2) Astra A-75 L
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7416/cimg3825.jpg
3) Kassnar MBK-9HP
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7999/cimg3824y.jpg

Number two is in the best condition. Both guns 1 and 2 feel kind of small in my hands but the Firestar def. feels a little tiny.

Just wondering what you experienced guys think I should pick, and why? Anyone have any of these and can comment on them? I understand the companies that make these are out of business but can I still get parts, especially magazines for them ? I'm more of a rifle/shotgun guy, I know nothing about handguns.

What I'm most interested in hearing about if anyone can chime in about any one of these is:

1) Reliability
2) Accuracy
3) Part Availability ( especially if /where I can purchase extra magazines specific for that gun, if the magazines have to gun-specific to function properly anyway ).

Thanks for any and all input!

Sam
04-28-2010, 9:24 PM
Are these possible gifts?

Evan III
04-28-2010, 10:01 PM
I used to have a firestar in .40. I really liked the gun, shot well and was reliable. Don't know about parts avail. but Then again I never needed them. I have never even shoot the other two so I can't comment. The firestar is a bit heavy though. If your looking to carry there are lighter options.

Henry Hill
04-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes these are possible gifts from my dad for my 21st. He asked which one I wanted.

From my research so far I'm leaning toward the ASTRA. Lots of people saying good stuff about them.

Anyone know where I would buy magazines for it if I decide to go with that one?

Legasat
04-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Sorry, none of those...

Henry Hill
04-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Will any 9mm magazine fit/work in it?

leelaw
04-28-2010, 10:10 PM
...buy a CZ75?

Henry Hill
04-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Sorry, none of those...

Yeah man, I am totally going to turn down a free gun. :rolleyes:

leelaw
04-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah man, I am totally going to turn down a free gun. :rolleyes:

It's not about turning down a free gun - it's about getting a good first handgun. Learning on junk is not a good way to start out.

Henry Hill
04-28-2010, 10:17 PM
I just realized the FEG is basically a variant of the Browning Hi - Power.

Henry Hill
04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
It's not about turning down a free gun - it's about getting a good first handgun. Learning on junk is not a good way to start out.

What makes any of those guns junk? I haven't read a single thing online so far that was negative about any of them.

gotshotgun?
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Dont listen to that guy, I;d take number 2 or 3 baaed on looks, I know nothing of those guns though. Not everyone can afford a $900 Sig right off the bat so I think constructive comments are best for the guy.

SixtyDashOne
04-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Hi Power clone without a doubt.

teflondog
04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
If it's a first gun then I'd choose #3 since it looks like a Hi Power (I suppose any gun is better than no gun). But that's only if I barely had enough money to make ends meet. I'd rather save up and buy one that I really like instead of settling on something that I never heard of. If my dad offered me one of those guns today for free, I'd decline the offer in a polite and respectful manner. It wouldn't be fair to him to take one of his belongings and not appreciate it. If it were a stranger that made the offer, I'd pick the third gun then sell it off right away and put the money towards another gun.

Henry Hill
04-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah well it really is those or nothing. I don't have/wont have enough money to buy a gun for a few YEARS ( a struggling college student ) . Will the Hi - Power clone take all Hi-Power mags?

Also, when I put it on SAFE, and I cock it, when the slide goes back forward, the hammer hits the firing pin instantly. Is that how it is supposed to work or is there somthing wrong with it? Seems like it would make a round go off if you cocked it while a round is chambered

Henry Hill
04-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Can anyone help me find more information on this 'FEG' Gun

On the sides it reads :

Imported by kassnar Imports, Inc
MOD.MBK-9HP 9mm Para

SixtyDashOne
04-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah well it really is those or nothing. I don't have/wont have enough money to buy a gun for a few YEARS ( a struggling college student ) . Will the Hi - Power clone take all Hi-Power mags?

Also, when I put it on SAFE, and I cock it, when the slide goes back forward, the hammer hits the firing pin instantly. Is that how it is supposed to work or is there somthing wrong with it? Seems like it would make a round go off if you cocked it while a round is chambered

Are you sure it's not just hitting the half-cock notch? I would think it should take all Hi Power mags but don't hold me to it.

freonr22
04-28-2010, 10:50 PM
i had an feg, we also had a hipower older 60'sish. the feg was nice. only $300 at the time 10 tears ago. dont have anymore. but we liked it.

teflondog
04-28-2010, 10:51 PM
I know how you feel. I was a struggling college student not too long ago.

You can see more info about the FEG Hi Power here. Scroll down to post #15: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?122302-Opinions-on-Hungarian-FEG-Hi-Power-Clone

jmzhwells
04-28-2010, 10:57 PM
#2 looks like a small sig!

rondre3000
04-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Neither. Ask him to go halves on a Glock 19 for your bday. If you decide you don't like it, you'll have no problems finding a buyer for it. Its a great gun, very reliable and there are parts a plenty for em out there.

SmokinMr2
04-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Firestar parts are available (even the hard to find stuff) but you will not need them.
Magazines are readily available. I have the same gun in 9mm and have put over 4000 rounds through it. Accurate, nice shooter, low recoil because it's HEAVY. I'd recommend it, but it can feel a bit small. Great for CCW.

I haven't heard any bad about that Astra, and have only heard good stuff about that High Power clone. Kasnar was running Charles Daly until they closed recently, but the forums are still up. You could do some research there. http://www.charlesdalyforum.com/index.php

Firestar info (and some Astra info) can be found here:
http://star-firearms.com/cgi-bin/gm1/index.shtml

killmime1234
04-28-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm currently on a college budget too and just bought my first 9mm and if price is the issue then I have a suggestion if you'll hear me out.

I'd look for a Ruger p95. VERY reliable; accuracy wise, it won't consistently hit a dime a 50 yards, but unless you're competition shooting, it should suit your needs just fine. It's msrp is like $350-$400.

Mine was like $410 after fees and everything.

Good luck!

bigian
04-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Funny that no one who has actually used these guns wants to call them junk and the one guy with experience has nothing but good things to say.

Why would anyone not take the gift? It's a free gun with sentimental value! If nothing else, it's a plinker with meaning.

I don't understand why people won't help the guy out with what he's asking. 400 isn't much to some but to others it's rent! This is a great informational forum with a lot of great people and information but some people need to get off their high horses and humble themselves. I ran into the same problem with a thread a started the other week, no one wanted to stick to the god damn topic at hand and everyone wanted to lend their moral opinion.

It sounds like smokinmr2 is the guy you want to listen to and I'd say your best bet is to take all 3 out with your pops for a day of shooting and decide at the end of the day what works best for you...
It sounds like s

Katana
04-28-2010, 11:27 PM
I would definitely choose the Astra. You said it's in the best condition and the 8 round mags are CA obtainable.

http://www.ammoclip.com/A/astra75.htm

Will the Hi - Power clone take all Hi-Power mags?

I don't believe BHP mags are compatible with the Kassnar.

railroader
04-29-2010, 4:47 AM
Go with the firestar they are good little guns. The Kassnar isn't a hi-power clone. It's double action It looks similar but internally it's more like a s&w auto. Mark

den888
04-29-2010, 6:55 AM
# 3...

johnny_22
04-29-2010, 7:06 AM
The safety on the slide can cause manipulation problems. I recommend the safety on the frame. #2 has the safety of a size and position I am used to, so, I pick the Astra.

However, I have never owned an Astra, and don't know about reliability and other important stuff. Lucky for you, you can try all three before accepting the gift.

Jim McCoin
04-29-2010, 7:28 AM
Hold out for a Sig, a Beretta or a Glock.

Jim

Hunter158
04-29-2010, 7:28 AM
None... What happened to the S&W revolver in the other thread?

cvgunright
04-29-2010, 10:45 AM
first thing congrats on the 21st!

second. cool that your dad is giving you a gun

third I would take them to the range and shoot each one...find the one you are most accurate comfortable with and go from there.

(#2 does look like a mini sig. it is DA (double action)) the astra 70 was SA

that's the extent of my knowledge