PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an issue with an ACOG on a Carry Handle

Mr_Monkeywrench
04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I took a buddy of mine shooting my 20" A2 and I have my ACOG mounted on my carry handle. He hated it saying it was uncomfortable. I personally like the look of it and I have no issue with it being awkward. How do you all feel about it?

alpalwal
04-28-2010, 10:23 PM
meh.. if it works for you, go for it. I think one of the mounts that puts it more forward and down on the carry handle might be better for cheek weld.

brando
04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Nope. That's how we ran them before 1913s became pretty standardized. For a lot of guys it was more natural vs low on a rail.

Personal preference.

Sharpasacrayon
04-28-2010, 10:36 PM
It's all what works for you. If your buddy doesn't like it, tell him to get his own rifle. Personally I do not care for how high the ACOG sits on top of the carry handle. I like it lower for a better check weld.

bodyarmorguy27
04-29-2010, 10:21 AM
I ran it like that on an M16A1 that I used at work. It worked ok but was difficult getting a consistent cheek weld. The other thing you have to look at is the height over bore issue on close in shots.

You have to take this into account when shooting under, over, and around barricades, as well. So for me to hit targets in urban prone, I had to aim off target to hit it. You still have to do this with optics mounted on the rail, but even more so with the optic on the carry handle.

There was an incident where I work, where an officer took a shot at a suspect with a gun. Had him in his ACOG TA01 but didn't see the rescue ambulance mirror that was obstructing his bore. He hit the mirror and the suspect retreated.

But if it works for you, you should stick with it.

In a pinch, you can still look through the irons on the carry handle with the TA01 mounted.

SuperSet
04-29-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't care for it either due to the 'chin' weld and height over bore. Plus, having an A2 setup dramatically shrinks your available optic choices.

bwiese
04-29-2010, 11:18 AM
As I recall, those have only one screw to mount it on the carry handle.

If the screw comes loose just enough it can't be detected manually, the scope will bounce a bit on the springy lockwasher and you'll lose zero (mostly on vertical axis). You may get 3" - 5" vertical stringing @ 100yd target and start blaming your ammo, stance or grip ;) --- so whale down on that screw.

PIRATE14
04-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Still a good set-up an if it works for you.....shouldn't be an issue....

Flat tops rule the roost for now though....;)

Centurion_D
04-29-2010, 5:00 PM
I tried it on a friends AR but it just didn't work for me. Like some others pointed out it's difficult (impossible) to get a good cheek weld. It's more like a chin weld.

tiger222
04-29-2010, 5:13 PM
The IDF ran that set up in the late 90's with a Delta cheek piece, #2 arms mount and the ACOG on an additional #19 throw mount, it was their DMR.

My C7 clone is set up that way, I find it very satisfying. If he doesn't like the cheek weld, make sure he never shoots an HK with a claw mount - it's even worse! Or he can take a page from the IDF and get a QR delta cheek piece, and he'd get perfect (sorta) sight picture everytime.

bubbapug1
04-29-2010, 5:30 PM
I have one on an A2 also, and I don't like it that much...

1 screw connection...kind of wimpy

Too high for a good cheek weld

The iron sights are still usable, which is a plus.

Big variance in the lower ranges due to the high angles from the almost 3.5" sight height....but its a compromise mounting right??

The solution...buy two acogs and two ARs, on a flat-top...perfect!

Maltese Falcon
04-29-2010, 5:32 PM
I have one...As others have mentioned getting good cheek weld is an issue. The one screw mounting is poor yes, but my ACOG mount wedges into the upper carry handle channel so it is not as flimsy as it sounds. It holds okay zero.

I fixed that by getting a CAA 6 position stock with the adjustable cheek rest piece...Works fine with that. My intended use is <100 yds CQB. YMMV

http://www.lapolicegear.com/caaadchre.html

Omega13device
04-29-2010, 6:05 PM
If you are just doing recreational shooting, set it up however you like it. It doesn't really matter.

But as others have described there are a lot of potential issues if you were to use the rifle for a carbine class or self-defense. Back in the day people did it that way because there was no other way, not because it was better than what we have now.

anniepoks
04-29-2010, 6:41 PM
nothing really.....
my i$$ue i$ getting one actually.:)

Mr_Monkeywrench
04-29-2010, 7:07 PM
I ran it like that on an M16A1 that I used at work. It worked ok but was difficult getting a consistent cheek weld. The other thing you have to look at is the height over bore issue on close in shots.

You have to take this into account when shooting under, over, and around barricades, as well. So for me to hit targets in urban prone, I had to aim off target to hit it. You still have to do this with optics mounted on the rail, but even more so with the optic on the carry handle.

There was an incident where I work, where an officer took a shot at a suspect with a gun. Had him in his ACOG TA01 but didn't see the rescue ambulance mirror that was obstructing his bore. He hit the mirror and the suspect retreated.

But if it works for you, you should stick with it.

In a pinch, you can still look through the irons on the carry handle with the TA01 mounted.

You bring up some good Points. I hadn't really thought about those things.

Mr_Monkeywrench
04-29-2010, 7:10 PM
http://www.lapolicegear.com/caaadchre.html

.[/QUOTE]

Its outta stock (like everything else I like):rolleyes:

ArkinDomino
04-29-2010, 7:23 PM
Does anyone have an issue with an ACOG on a Carry Handle

Yes.

blackfalcon
04-29-2010, 11:35 PM
I actually like it on my carry handle. The cheek weld doesn't really bother me especially since I don't look through the scope that long. I shoot rather quick. The one thing I do like about the set up is that my ear protectors don't get in the way. With the flattop my ear protectors get in the way of getting a good cheek weld. Guess it would be easier to just use the foam ear plugs.

Mac
04-30-2010, 12:48 AM
If it works for YOU then you are good to go.
After all, this is The United States of America and you are a Free man. Enjoy it.