PDA

View Full Version : Does the Wife Know...???

jp.cherokee
03-02-2006, 7:24 AM
This should be interesting. How many of you good old gun folks tell your betterhalf/wife of all the firearms you buy? My wife knows I have a few, but not 11, and I tell her they are to protect the family...So she is pretty cool about it...

Fjold
03-02-2006, 7:28 AM
What firearms? Wifezilla doesn't know the combination to the safe or what's inside.

Harbinger
03-02-2006, 7:33 AM
Not the wife, yet.... but she's 100% OK with it. She's always been cool with my guns, and is happy that i'm able to get the toys I want!

I may need to buy a few Tumi bags for her, though. ;-)

Mike

JimAmentler
03-02-2006, 7:33 AM
I tell my wife about all of them. When I see a gun that I like and decide that I want it, she says "why don't you buy it". We always discuss outgoing money whether I am spending or her. Saves MANY problems later on.

badwolf
03-02-2006, 7:45 AM
My wife thinks every household should have guns and that husbands have an obligation to know firearms to protect the family.

you should see how when some gun controlling types talk to her about "aren't you worried about your husband having guns" and she replies this way how they just kind of sit there speechless.

C.G.
03-02-2006, 8:32 AM
Wife? What's that?:eek:

Charliegone
03-02-2006, 8:42 AM
Yeah, wheres the "I don't have a wife don't need one" tab?:D

rssslvr
03-02-2006, 9:25 AM
my wife is totally cool about it.i can buy anything i want as long as the bills get paid:D

GTKrockeTT
03-02-2006, 9:35 AM
she knows i have a good amount, but she really has no clue. i think she lost count at 2. ;)

PanzerAce
03-02-2006, 9:43 AM
heh, for me, its more like: Do the parents know yet, and that would be a no for me. I figure Ill let them know this summer, or once these are listed and I have to send in the AW reg...

Rumpled
03-02-2006, 10:39 AM
My wife doesn't know about this activity, but she knows about most of mine.
I do have one shotgun I call the Singer.
She didn't tell me about the new sewing machine, so she doesn't know about the new 20 ga.
She's half an anti, doesn't mind me having guns; but thinks I have enough.
Now my safe is essentially full, with about 5 receivers yet to be built.
Anyone know how to make a safe grow?

bbq_ribs
03-02-2006, 10:57 AM
My other half is actually warming up to the idea of a few more firearms in the house. Last weekend we went to Panoche Hills with a bunch of friends and she finally decided to try out my .22 against an old dead hard drive. Then she tried a friends Browning BLR, and finally the .357 magnum.

Now she's interested in taking some of the classes that the NRA has for women.

She even asked me "When are you going to finish the AR-15?" :-D

gmcem50
03-02-2006, 11:57 AM
All of my weapon purchases are classified as "need to know". She doesn't need to know how many or what type etc... she just knows I have a lot. She doesn't hassle me about it because I don't hassle her about how many Stampin' Up/Creative Memories/Pampered Chef/Party Lite/Home Decore/Racket-du jour (have I listed them all?:rolleyes:) things she buys. She is 100% pro 2A and even shoots a little as well. (She even gave me a Glock 19 for my birthday one year) She knows where the home defense weapon is and how to use it. God help the poor bastard who breaks in when I'm not there! She'd make swiss cheese out of him.:D

Mike-4
03-02-2006, 12:51 PM
My wife met me during the early days of my "sickness" so she accepts it. However, I was busted around 1994 when she found a factory Colt Lightweight Carbine box in the attic (reciept inside). It was a spur of the moment purchase at a gunshow just prior to the AW ban. Boy was she pissed because we really couldn't afford it back then. The Colt cost me $650 plus fees so it was well worth it. I still have the Colt (and wife) by the way.

Now, I'm becoming a "gear queer" and "gadget ***got". My wife gets mad everytime I buy "another backpack". Its ok, she is into shoes and clothes so it evens out.

Boarding-Team-Leader
03-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Wife knows about one lower and finished assembled rifle. Knows absolutely nothing about the second lower in hand and better NEVER find out about the third that CA DOJ is helping me hide....:D

NRAhighpowershooter
03-02-2006, 1:42 PM
Wife doen't know and doesn't need to know... otherwise I'd get the 'why do you need so many for?' I'm glad she works nights.. that way she is usually asleep when UPS or FedEx comes by around 11am. :D

Plus of she EVER finds out how many firearms I have.. I'm dead meat!!!!!!

Pablo
03-02-2006, 2:07 PM
My wife knows about my lower addiction but she really doesn't know how bad it's is! :o

grammaton76
03-02-2006, 2:08 PM
I have a gf moving in the direction of wife, and she's extremely gun-friendly.

When it's MORE dangerous to your wallet bringing the girlfriend to Pirate14's place than leaving her behind, you know you have a good one.

"Oh, I know that Aimpoint setup is $1500 - but it's SO COOL! You need to buy it!"

She STILL hassles me to get that Aimpoint. I tell her sooner or later... :)

menegt
03-02-2006, 2:13 PM
Wife wonders where I dissapear to when American Gaydol comes on...

(I'm in the garage putting #4 together....on first build, spent too much time looking for detent pin one night....f^%$^ shot across the garage. after 1 hour i found it....)

Inkman
03-02-2006, 3:19 PM
She knows all about the guns and is semi-interested. Tried taking her out shooting a few times, but she'd rather sleep in than go to the range early in the morn on the weekends. Guess i need to find a time to compromise with her about going, but late afternoon just doesn't cut it for me.

Al

grammaton76
03-02-2006, 3:28 PM
Guess i need to find a time to compromise with her about going, but late afternoon just doesn't cut it for me.

Do it at least once. The point is, if she becomes MORE interested, perhaps she'll even put up with your crazy range times.

My girlfriend and I have the same preferences - evening runs at an indoor range.

Black_Talon
03-02-2006, 4:33 PM
It's sort of "don't ask, don't tell" in our household. She doesn't really try and keep track of my various firearms comings-and-goings, and I don't keep track of her shoes, clothes and cosmetics purchases. As long as we can pay the bills, it's OK.

Charliegone
03-02-2006, 5:51 PM
heh, for me, its more like: Do the parents know yet, and that would be a no for me. I figure Ill let them know this summer, or once these are listed and I have to send in the AW reg...

My mom is pissed I have so many ak and ar type receivers.

Dude...
2ewbanks
1vulcanunder
3deerheads
2ptr91's
1featherat22
1armscorm1600

all I really need now is a fal and a garand.:D

oh yeah I forgot one global in 5.45 on the way.:D

BigMac
03-02-2006, 6:11 PM
My wife helped me purchase a gun store :D

jp.cherokee
03-02-2006, 9:21 PM
My wife helped me purchase a gun store :D
You are a lucky man... Good luck in your adventure... :)
PS. Do you sell Lowers...
:rolleyes:

Tang
03-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Wife knows all of the gun purchases, I think she figures that it keeps me busy and is better than drinking or chasing other women.

accordingtoome
03-02-2006, 10:51 PM
not a wife but a wife to be knows and is semi cool with it. All i know is that if go cheap on a present and then go buy a rifle... that would all change pretty fast.

phish
03-02-2006, 11:37 PM
heh, mine can't tell the difference between a lower and a hole in the ground.
:D

jp.cherokee
03-03-2006, 6:27 AM
heh, mine can't tell the difference between a lower and a hole in the ground.

That got me smiling this early Friday morning...:)

Jicko
03-03-2006, 7:30 AM
I've got 2, and she actually wants one of them!

Then she want it duracoat'ed.... either desert camo.... or underbrush... or maybe the new ACU... she just don't like it black....

Anyways... more excuse to buy more accessories... heh hee

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/images/cprpu_16.jpg

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/images/cprpu_09.jpg

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/images/cprpu_21.jpg

filefish
03-03-2006, 7:53 AM
hell my wife bought me an ar15 for valintines day then went out and got a job to pay for it...

filefish
03-03-2006, 7:58 AM
not a wife but a wife to be knows and is semi cool with it. All i know is that if go cheap on a present and then go buy a rifle... that would all change pretty fast.

ohhh boy... things sure change when she gets the RING OF POWER! you will find out the secret rules in a hurry:confused:

NRAhighpowershooter
03-03-2006, 8:02 AM
ring of power??!! ain't that the truth!!

trigger_play
03-06-2006, 6:51 PM
of course the wifey knows, shes my financier.... :D

marklbucla
03-06-2006, 6:58 PM
It's easy to keep stuff from the fiancee because I'm off across the country!

wayoutwest
03-06-2006, 9:40 PM
My wife knows about the whole lower thing, but kinda tunes me out when I try to explain why I was buying them, banned in 2000... DOJ... off list...

She is starting to get comfortable with guns in general, has has been out to the range with me and thinks we need a gun with "one of those spinnie wheel things" she also got me a nice 1951 Russian Tula SKS a couple years ago for Valentines day

Bling Bling 2.0
03-06-2006, 10:02 PM
My fiance was cool with my guns when we started going out. Now that she sees what my budget is, I get the questions "Why do you need 16 guns?" UGH! Why do you need 200 shoes??

Her issue is with the $ I spend and it's understandable since we are trying to afford a wedding and mortgage now.

marklbucla
03-06-2006, 10:10 PM
OMG! We're in the exact situation, right down to the count of my guns! Well, she doesn't have 200 pairs of shoes, just that she likes vacationing.

I haven't told her about the Taurus 905 and the Kahr MK9, nor the Colt MKIV 9mm i'm planning on getting this weekend...

50BMGBOB
03-06-2006, 10:15 PM
My wife knows I have a lot. She dosen't like it but still lets me get a new one once in a while. I don't tell her about every one I get, my safe is big enough and what is a few more? She would probably kill me if she knew exactally how much I spend, especially on ammo.

She wants to spend the same or more. That isn't all bad except if she gets something one month and I want to buy some thing the next month she doesn't count it and wants to spend agian. I don't out spend her but I don't tell her every time, it is easier that way.

xYourLocalAR15x
03-07-2006, 12:06 AM
dont have a wife... But, my girlfriend bought me my kimber custom II and one of my Lauer Lowers the same week :)

Senna
03-08-2006, 7:40 PM
My wife does not know about AR I'm building yet but is catching on. She keeps wondering about the parts comming in the mail, nor does she know about the beretta cougar thats on the way. The bad thing is were suposed to be lookig for a gun for her. she does like to go shooting:D

C.G.
03-08-2006, 8:33 PM
dont have a wife... But, my girlfriend bought me my kimber custom II and one of my Lauer Lowers the same week :)

She's a keeper, mate!:D

Santa Cruz Armory
03-08-2006, 9:13 PM
My wife kinda has an idea...

She has been REALLY cool about the whole lower thing. I've always been into guns but the last few months I kinda went overboard... a few guns (6), a new safe, lowers, parts, etc, etc.... Oh , did I mention shes almost 6 mos pregnant also? LOL! :eek: (first kid)

So anyway, my lower buying is slowing down for a while, but I am building one and gonna save a few lowers in the safe for later.

I'm pretty lucky, I have cool wife who puts up with all my hobbies.

11Z50
03-08-2006, 9:36 PM
Comrade wife knows of my avocation and at least doesn't object, and usually is supportive. Once you really get to know a woman, ie a 10-year plus relationship, that's as good as it gets.

I taught her to shoot when we first got together, and she can still pump rounds in the kill zone at 7 yards.

She understands I carry when I need to and even admits it makes her feel more secure at times. I don't pack every day, but a piece is always near by.

Luckily, we are both professionals and have the resources to pursue our interests without having to ask the other. That helps immensely!

filefish
03-08-2006, 11:31 PM
My fiance was cool with my guns when we started going out. Now that she sees what my budget is, I get the questions "Why do you need 16 guns?" UGH! Why do you need 200 shoes??

Her issue is with the $ I spend and it's understandable since we are trying to afford a wedding and mortgage now.

if you already have 2 or 3 lowers.. you can always buy more uppers for them. save your money and buy a house. at the rate the realestate is going up they might as well be banned. believe me she will never forgive you if you have a stash of lowers and she can not afford the $500 veil she wants :eek: :eek: :eek:

ivanimal
03-09-2006, 10:11 AM
She doesnt have a clue about what I have, buy, sell, or otherwise. She has never seen the inside of either of my safes and probably never will. She has absolutely no interest in my sport but supports my love of collecting. And I her love of jewlery.I dont give her grief about buying things she likes either. Should she find out how much I spend on this sport, I would have a lot of explaining to do. Neither of us put the family in jeopardy with our hobbies, we just get along and dont ask.:)

mltrading
03-09-2006, 3:34 PM
Of course wife knows what I am doing. She just has no idea how many guns I have.

When I am playing around Black Rifle stuff, she saw it and asked "Hey! That's cool. When will you make me a pink one?".:D

Brass Balls
03-09-2006, 4:29 PM
Funny poll. My wife is pretty much in the dark. She knows I have a collection of handguns and some hunting rifles, but has no clue regarding quantity or cost. She doesn't care either. I'm a good provider so there's no reason for her to be concerned.

-hanko
03-11-2006, 7:02 AM
I married a lady with horses...no issue with anything I buy:)

-hanko

kurac
03-11-2006, 7:59 AM
I stopped telling her, after you get about 20 guns they all start to look kind of the same and she doesn't even ask anymore, not like it would matter anyway.

wolfsong
03-11-2006, 7:51 PM
My wife just wants to know what she's supposed to do with all of them if she outlives me. I told her to give them away to a couple of my hunting and shooting buds instead of selling them. She has no idea what they are worth, and would most likely end up getting hoodwinked for pennies on the dollar. I'd rather have her give them away to other gun nuts. She gets the life insurance pay-out, after all. Wolfsong.

xYourLocalAR15x
03-12-2006, 11:00 AM
She's a keeper, mate!:D

For sure :D Now if i could only get her to come out to the range more. She doesnt really care for shooting lol

Pablo
03-12-2006, 10:33 PM
My wife just wants to know what she's supposed to do with all of them if she outlives me. I told her to give them away to a couple of my hunting and shooting buds instead of selling them. She has no idea what they are worth, and would most likely end up getting hoodwinked for pennies on the dollar. I'd rather have her give them away to other gun nuts. She gets the life insurance pay-out, after all. Wolfsong.

Yeap same here... I told my wife that when I die she can sell all the accessories i.e. night vision system, lasers, scopes. But the rifles and handguns those are going to go to my buddies as a post-mortem gift!:D