PDA

View Full Version : Boresighter Lasers?? anyone use them?

accordingtoome
03-02-2006, 1:16 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat200006&navAction=jump&navCount=1&parentId=cat20712&parentType=category&cmCat=MainCatcat20712

Hey i was thinking about getting one of these today. Anyone use them and if so what brand is good? what should i look out for ? thanks i have a mini14, a 308 rifle and some 22's that i need sighted in bad.

thanks again:D

grammaton76
03-02-2006, 1:47 AM
I've got the AimSHOT system. Careful, the arbors dent real easy and get lodged quite nastily in your chamber. Mine still doesn't chamber correctly in 7.62x39mm.

The 223 is ok, but the light cuts on and off. Not sure why, could probably fix it with some solder in one location or another.

As for actually accurizing the rifle, it seems to be ok in a general sort of way. If your scope is *WAY* off, it lets you get it to the point where it'll be on the paper at 25 yards or so... overall, I'd say they're worth having but not by a huge margin.

tygerpaw
03-02-2006, 7:39 AM
It will save you ammo by getting you on paper, then you can fine tune at the range.

Cazach
03-02-2006, 7:51 AM
tygerpaw is right. I have the Cabelas universal kit ($50ish) and have used it on everything from .22 to .45, semi's and bolt's and it will save you some time and get you close enought to tune at the range.

TonyM
03-02-2006, 7:51 AM
I've got the AIMSHOT also, with the .223 and 30 Cal diodes and a few of the arbors.

I like it alot, gets you close enough to know where you are, and you can tune it in from there at the range.

Haven't had any issues with them at all, and never gotten one stuck in the chamber of any of my guns, I make sure the arbor or the diode is locked in behind the extractor and slowly move the bolt/slide forward until it locks. for removal all you need to do is slowly cycle the action.

Overall, I like it alot and would say they were worth the money. I'd rather pay a few bucks more for each arbor and get a good fit than use one of the ones you stick in the barrel of your gun. I used one of those once and was not happy.

Santa Cruz Armory
03-06-2006, 8:38 AM
I agree with the guys above. Pretty much all mine does is get me on the paper so I don't look like a complete knucklehead at the range. Mine fits from .17 to .55 cal. You can find em on Gunbroker pretty cheap.

Heres a link to the one I have. (I dindn't pay near that!)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=44704813

Good luck.

laabstract
03-06-2006, 5:51 PM
I have had a couple boresighters and the one i like the best is

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&id=0035625712123a&navCount=2&podId=0035625&parentId=cat200006&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat200006&hasJS=true

accordingtoome
03-06-2006, 10:50 PM
I have had a couple boresighters and the one i like the best is

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&id=0035625712123a&navCount=2&podId=0035625&parentId=cat200006&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat200006&hasJS=true

it looks like it would get stuck maybe.. or mess up the barrel?? how close will it get you on paper??

laabstract
03-07-2006, 5:18 PM
it looks like it would get stuck maybe.. or mess up the barrel?? how close will it get you on paper??

Well i have a k-31 that i sighted in and i put it on my k-31 to test the accuracy of the laser and it was dead on. I sighted in my FAL with the laser and i was able to hit a couple medium sized watermelon at 100 yards with out any adjustments to the sights.

bu-bye
03-07-2006, 5:38 PM
Never needed one personally. I just look through my scope/sight and pick a spot to hit on durt and fire. I then keep my rifle/gun steady on a bench and move the scope to that point where it hit. Then I fire again into the durt and adjust if needed till I'm around 6 inches. Then I move to the paper and fire a round. Adjust the scope/sight to that point and fire again and adjust till i'm dead center. Takes me less then 3 min and never more the 6 rounds at 100 yards.

laabstract
03-07-2006, 6:34 PM
Never needed one personally. I just look through my scope/sight and pick a spot to hit on durt and fire. I then keep my rifle/gun steady on a bench and move the scope to that point where it hit. Then I fire again into the durt and adjust if needed till I'm around 6 inches. Then I move to the paper and fire a round. Adjust the scope/sight to that point and fire again and adjust till i'm dead center. Takes me less then 3 min and never more the 6 rounds at 100 yards.

Put in a laser it will take you about 30 seconds and no rounds.

bu-bye
03-07-2006, 6:36 PM
Put in a laser it will take you about 30 seconds and no rounds.

But that laser costs more money then a few rounds ;)

laabstract
03-07-2006, 6:40 PM
But that laser costs more money then a few rounds ;)

Over the years the rounds and time add up to more than the 100 dollar price tag of the laser. Plus you can sight in your gun at home and save range time.

SI-guru
03-07-2006, 7:10 PM
I found the following gadget more useful than a laser boresight.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0031510712250a&navCount=0&cmCat=srchdx&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx&CM_REF=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fproducts%2FC cat200006.jsp

For the first time, you dial your scope to the cross mark. That should get you close enough to hit the paper on the range. Then you do your zero. After that, mark down your offset on the grid. For that point on, everytime you need to rezero, just dial the scope back to the marking. You should be close enough to within a few more clicks.

C.G.
03-07-2006, 7:29 PM
Over the years the rounds and time add up to more than the 100 dollar price tag of the laser. Plus you can sight in your gun at home and save range time.

Yeah, they are a great invetion!:rolleyes: Anybody want to buy mine, used twice?:D

Tommy_J_Trainer
03-08-2006, 12:24 PM
If you're looking to get your AR on paper, it may be worth it, but I have an FN DBM A3 Bolt action rifle, and it's worthless for that. I ordered the boresighter, and while I was waiting for it, I just decided to go to the range and do it myself. It doesn't take much to get a bolt gun on paper. You just pull out your bolt and look through. After I had my dope I used the laser for S&G's and it was way off. So, if you've got money to spend on fun little gadgets, it's a good way to get a semi-auto on paper, otherwise, don't waste your money.