PDA

View Full Version : Which Rail Covers, Foregrips? Need Suggestions

Noah3683
04-28-2010, 6:01 PM
So I am just about done messing with my BCM. I switched out the aimpoint to an eotech 555 USMC, and I have the bcm lower on order. I still haven't decided on rail covers, or fully decided on foregrip either. I'm thinking Magpul ladder covers? the Magpul xt covers? Troy? A combination, or others? Need ideas here. As for the foregrip, I am looking for more of a short one and I'm probably gonna hang out and wait for the Magpul RVG in FDE. I looked at the afg, and I'm just not sure how comfortable it would be. The tango down is nice too, my favorite design of them all, but I'm not really into spending $60 on such a small detail that I could live without. Anyway, here she is:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/noah3683/P4270321.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/noah3683/P4270320.jpg

tomd1584
04-28-2010, 6:08 PM
i use XTM panels.

I have FDE ladder covers for sale, and a Daniel Defense VFG if you're interested.

jasonnorcal
04-28-2010, 6:42 PM
Umm....a Larue VFG, wait that's more than the Tangodown:D I like the KAC VFG, but it's not short. As for rail covers, I have no idea since I have don't have any. I never saw a need for them myself. I'm sure someone will correct me about that.

Nice rifle BTW

oogabooga
04-28-2010, 6:45 PM
Check these product points for your answers to the questions you asked:

UTG Rubber Rail / RIS Covers / Guards

1. Great combat quality and high tech design
2. Designed for use with Picatinny rail to provide maximum protection of the rails and safe guard hands
3. Intensively tested under extreme heat and sub-zero temperature with great performance
4. Ultimate tactical solution to enhance weapon handling and shooting performance under toughest environments
5. Comes with 12 to a pack
6. Available in Tactical Black or OD Green

But seriously, the Magpul rail covers lock on tight and will match your stock and grip the best. The ladders are made by ergo, so the color isn't a perfect match, but it's pretty close, if aesthetics are important to you. I still use the old XT's and they don't even budge.

SandBlastedSkin
04-28-2010, 6:47 PM
Well, since were on the subject. If anyone has any Knights Armament covers they wanna get rid of for less than $21 a piece let me know. :cool:

tomd1584
04-28-2010, 6:50 PM

2. Designed for use with Picatinny rail to provide maximum protection of the rails and safe guard hands
3. Intensively tested under extreme heat and sub-zero temperature with great performance
4. Ultimate tactical solution to enhance weapon handling and shooting performance under toughest environments

But seriously, the Magpul rail covers lock on tight and will match your stock and grip the best. The ladders are made by ergo, so the color isn't a perfect match, but it's pretty close, if aesthetics are important to you. I still use the old XT's and they don't even budge.

:rofl:

Noah3683
04-28-2010, 6:50 PM

Lol I started reading and thought is this guy on drugs? then I got to the bottom. I don't really need the rail covers, I just want to break up the black a little more. That's why I considered the ladder style. Maybe I will get some black/fde xtm sets and mix them up. Good to know the xt's are solid though if I go that route

djleisure
04-28-2010, 6:57 PM
Umm....a Larue VFG, wait that's more than the Tangodown:D I like the KAC VFG, but it's not short. As for rail covers, I have no idea since I have don't have any. I never saw a need for them myself. I'm sure someone will correct me about that.

Nice rifle BTW
I definitely agree with Larue all the way! ...but yeah, pretty spendy. Tangodown is second in line... and you can also check out Troy for a VFG - they make a nice, modular VFG. The Magpul RVG is getting good reviews as well and it's definitely priced to sell!

As far as rail covers go, jasonnorcal, I don't know if you've ever taken a carbine course or shot a couple hundred rounds out of your AR (in a very short amount of time,) but in both of those situations it is very practical to have rail covers for heat protection and comfort. If you just bench shoot, then yeah, no reason for rail covers (and I'm not saying that's all you do, it is HIGHLY likely that your hands are tougher than mine :D )

I suggest the Troy battle rails, Magpul XTM's or just rail ladders. Pic for Troy/ladder rail combo illustration!

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/dj_leisure/IMG_8541.jpg

Noah3683
04-28-2010, 7:01 PM
I definitely agree with Larue all the way! ...but yeah, pretty spendy. Tangodown is second in line... and you can also check out Troy for a VFG - they make a nice, modular VFG. The Magpul RVG is getting good reviews as well and it's definitely priced to sell!

As far as rail covers go, jasonnorcal, I don't know if you've ever taken a carbine course or shot a couple hundred rounds out of your AR (in a very short amount of time,) but in both of those situations it is very practical to have rail covers for heat protection and comfort. If you just bench shoot, then yeah, no reason for rail covers (and I'm not saying that's all you do, it is HIGHLY likely that your hands are tougher than mine :D )

I suggest the Troy battle rails, Magpul XTM's or just rail ladders. Pic for Troy/ladder rail combo illustration!

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/dj_leisure/IMG_8541.jpg

Yeah I really like the troy. Maybe I will Just get those in black, then do an fde grip an pmags

jasonnorcal
04-28-2010, 9:23 PM
Ahh......yes I had not considered heat. Alas I have never taken a carbine course and am confined to my local range where I spread 100 rnds over about 2 hrs, but I digress..............

pacrimguru
04-28-2010, 11:05 PM
may i suggest?...

Stippled Magpul XTM Rail Panels from Valkyrie Tactical?

http://www.valkyrietactical.com/images/vtcs01-1.jpg (http://www.valkyrietactical.com/product_info.php?products_id=1633)

http://www.valkyrietactical.com/images/vtcs01-3.jpg (http://www.valkyrietactical.com/product_info.php?products_id=1633)

Increase your grip with stippled rail panels!

IsaacGlass
04-28-2010, 11:24 PM

For a minute there I was thinking Oh No! :no: not another UTG thread. Stick with the Magpul ladder.

Omega13device
04-29-2010, 9:25 AM
If you're just going to the range, anything will do.

If you're going to take a carbine class then heat will definitely be an issue and you'll want rail covers, not ladders, in any place you may hold the handguard. Ladders are still handy for places where you don't hold the rail but want it protected from bumps and scrapes.

KAC: I'm using these right now and they get +1 for cool factor but even when locked on the rail they have a little fore/aft movement which I find really annoying, so eventually I'll get rid of them.

XTMs: the only downside is they take a bit more effort to remove than most others. I use them, I just don't put them anywhere I might need the rail space for something else, such as on the bottom front where I might mount a bipod.

I haven't tried the Tango Down or Magpul XT covers yet but just bought some.

till44
04-29-2010, 9:29 AM
I use a combination of KAC rail covers and Larue's Index Clips. I really like the index clips as they are still have a low profile, but add more insallation form heat than the ladders do.

And definately stiple the covers, it really makes a huge difference.