PDA

View Full Version : How much should I ask for it? Decision Made

PressCheck
04-28-2010, 4:27 PM
Do to physical problems I have to start selling off most of the contents of my safe. This is the first one, but I need to know what you think is a "FAIR" Price.

I'm thinkin $3,300?!

Custom Made .308 tactical Remington 700 short action. This rifle was built by a custom gunsmith in the KC. The rifle is built on a 700 BDL action with detachable magazine, the action had been blue printed and lugs have been lapped as required. The trigger has been tuned to a crisp 2.5 pounds. The barrel is a Pac-Nor Super Match in NBRHV contour. That is 1.230 at the receiver tapering down to .930 at the muzzle with fluting also. The barrel is set for the twist to handle the Sierra 168 and 175 grain Matchkings... Cost to build was about $1400.00 (Twelve Years ago). The rifle is in a Remington (HS Precision) Police stock that has been glass bedded too. Badger mount & rings with Night Force Extreme Glass 3/12-15x50 mil dot illuminated reticle($1500.00 Scope). Harris Bi-Pod. About 50 rounds thru it. "Zeroed" for 200 yds.

This is a Real "Tack Driver."

Barrel was broken in with "Love."

I'll throw in an alunimum locking Case, Dewey Cleaning Rod, and a 30cal. ammo box full of Mollied Custom Re-Loads using "Once Fired" Lake City Brass.

George at http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precis...om-rifles.html
built the Rifle.

SEEMS TO ME LIKE $2,700 IS A "SMOKIN' PRICE FOR THIS SET UP.

Bay area FTF. You can fondle the rifle first if you like.

jbooker9
04-28-2010, 5:13 PM
Nice rifle but I think you would have problems selling it at that price. It is hard to sell package deals like this and even if you are willing to seperate them I don't see you getting $3300 thats alot of money for a used Remington 700 and used glass.

PressCheck
04-28-2010, 5:30 PM
Nice rifle but I think you would have problems selling it at that price. It is hard to sell package deals like this and even if you are willing to seperate them I don't see you getting $3300 thats alot of money for a used Remington 700 and used glass.

Approx. 50 rounds to break in the barrel Properly. I wouldn't call that a "Used" Rifle & Scope.

Ok - What do You think It's worth? That was my question.

Sig556swat
04-28-2010, 5:46 PM
You've had the gun for 12 years and only shot 50 rounds ???

Fjold
04-28-2010, 5:46 PM
The bad thing about a custom rifle is that you will never get out what you put in to them.

To the average shooters they look at it as a Remington 700 that has been worked on and compare it to stock Remington prices with a custom barrel

For the hardcore precision shooters they are looking at it as a gun built by an unknown gunsmith and can't judge the quality of the work put into it. If it's built by a "name" smith that has a reputation in the field then it's easier to value.

I have custom built guns and if I was selling them I know that I'm not going to get half of what I put in to them.

jbooker9
04-28-2010, 6:02 PM
Approx. 50 rounds to break in the barrel Properly. I wouldn't call that a "Used" Rifle & Scope.

Ok - What do You think It's worth? That was my question.

What you have is a very nice setup, but if someone has the money to drop $3000 on a rifle and glass then more than likely they have the money to go out and buy it new for a little more. Thats just how I see it. I know what you have is more than likely in perfect condition but for me to drop that kind of money I better be getting a good deal for the used set up (and 50 rounds is used no matter how you look at it) otherwise i would just buy new.
If you need to sell it quick $2000-$2500 if you are willing to sit on it $2750 or more.

Just my 2 cents

!@#$
04-28-2010, 6:02 PM
about $2,000-2,500

Sharpasacrayon
04-28-2010, 6:06 PM
For a faster sale you may be better off if you were willing to split up your rifle package. You may be able to get close to what you paid to have the rifle built if you included the base and rings. The NightForce is a very nice scope, but you can pick up a 3 1/2-15x50 on a regular basis for around $1200.
The custom rifles with low round counts that hold close to the original cost are going to be be riffles that come from TacOps, TBA, and GAP.

jbooker9
04-28-2010, 6:08 PM
The bad thing about custom rifle is that you will never get out what you put in to them.

To the average shooters they look at it as a Remington 700 that has been worked on and compare it to stock remington prices with a custom barrel.

For the hardcore precision shooters they are looking at it as a gun built by an unknown gunsmith and can't judge the quality of the work put into it. If it's built by a "name" smith that has a reputation in the field then it's easier to value.

I have custom built guns and if I was selling them I know that I'm not going to get half of what I put in to them.

My thoughts exactly. I'm building a Rifle right now that I will more than likely have $3000 into once finished knowing that if I had to sell it I would maybe get 1800-2000. But i'm not building it for anyone but me and I don't plan on ever selling so spending that kind of money is justified.

X-NewYawker
04-28-2010, 6:11 PM
I thought the HS stocks had an aluminum bedding block so they didn't have to be glas bedded. This is tough. They package can be put together by most of the M700 gear-heads on this site for less than that, and on a new gun.

swerv512
04-28-2010, 6:30 PM
sell the NF for $1k and the rifle for $1.1K...
i'd consider these prices a "good deal"
you might be able to get $2.5 if you wait long enough, but you might be bumping the thread for quite a while.

AJAX22
04-28-2010, 6:32 PM
The glass will hold its value, the rifle you're going to loose your shirt on.

I'd just sell the glass and keep the rifle... my 2 cents anyway... I HATE loosing money on deals.

PressCheck
04-29-2010, 8:42 AM
The bad thing about a custom rifle is that you will never get out what you put in to them.

To the average shooters they look at it as a Remington 700 that has been worked on and compare it to stock Remington prices with a custom barrel

George at http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2010-custom-rifles.html
built the Rifle.

glockman19
04-29-2010, 8:59 AM
From the 28th edition of the Blue Book of guns values the rifle at:

700 BDL Custom Deluxe - $695 at 100% - .308 discontinued in 1995, $535 - 98%.
700 BDL Classic LTD - $600 @ 100% - $500 @ 98%.
700 BDL DM (Detachable Magazine) - $600 @ 100% .308 discontinued 1996, $480 @ 98%.
700 BDL Varmint - $480 @ 100% - MFG. 1992-2004.
700 BDL European - $445 @ 100% - Discontinued 1994.

The CDL would get you $775 @ 100%, $650 @ 98%.

Good luck in getting your price. I think a fair price would be $1,500 for the package and wouldn't ecpect much more.

I paid $700 for a 700 CDL in .30-06 added a $485 scope and harris bipod for $90. A new tac driving, hunting and target rifle for less than $1,400.

PressCheck
04-30-2010, 4:08 PM
If you re-read the title of my OP you'll see that I did not state that I wanted $3,300; I just asked a question.

Make me an offer. If you look at my posts you'll see "WHO" Build the Rifle!

i don't "need" to sell it, but do to a physical condition; I've decided to start selling off my "Babies."

If you have concerns about me; look at my previous posts.

I'm in San Ramon.