PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Gun Laws

LoadedM1A
04-28-2010, 4:21 PM
Do the ammo laws going into effect next year affect rifle ammo? Will it stop us from being able to order rifle ammo over the internet?

I know you have to get thumb printed for pistol ammo and you can't buy pistol ammo over the internet.

I was just curious, thanks.

pontiacpratt
04-28-2010, 5:05 PM
If I understand it correctly (sorry if I'm spreading FUD)
All on-line ammo sales will be banned
All ammo must be stored away from the customer
All "Handgun" ammo will require fingerprint and personal information to be collected.
Handgun is in quotes because there is a lot of confusion on what is a "Handgun caliber" .22LR might be included:confused:

anniepoks
04-28-2010, 5:28 PM
it will commence i believe february 2011? IIRC

KillZone45
04-28-2010, 5:31 PM
So will online reloading parts like shells, primers, cases and bullets be banned from internet sales into CA as well?

pontiacpratt
04-28-2010, 5:45 PM
So will online reloading parts like shells, primers, cases and bullets be banned from internet sales into CA as well?
No sir.:o
My Birthday I'm asking for reloading equipment:43:

IMC87
04-28-2010, 5:48 PM
good thing i got into reloading :D and now I shoot a lot more :gunsmilie:

God Bless The Mauser
04-28-2010, 6:20 PM
Online rifle ammo orders are not banned.

tileguy
04-28-2010, 6:28 PM
rifle ammo is fine but trying to find a vendor that will send it even though its legal might be hard just because they dont want to hassle with the Ca. laws.
i know it sounds silly but thats how it is now with some vendors because some countys in Ca. cant recieve bulk ammo so some vendors wont ship to Ca. at all. so i believe after feb. 2011 it might be worse if it doesnt get repealed

destro360
04-28-2010, 6:39 PM
rifle ammo is fine but trying to find a vendor that will send it even though its legal might be hard just because they dont want to hassle with the Ca. laws.
i know it sounds silly but thats how it is now with some vendors because some countys in Ca. cant recieve bulk ammo so some vendors wont ship to Ca. at all. so i believe after feb. 2011 it might be worse if it doesnt get repealed

very true on this one.... i swear to god if im not out of this wretched state by the time this goes into effect i will be packing my bags selling all my belongings and driving my happy *** out of here whether im ready or not.

Librarian
04-28-2010, 6:52 PM
AB 962 is an FAQ (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/2009_-_AB_962_De_Leon%2C_Ammunition).

Legasat
04-28-2010, 7:48 PM
If I remember correctly, handgun ammo only. No idea what they are going to consoder handgun ammo (like .22 long???), but only handgun ammo.

C.W.M.V.
04-28-2010, 9:51 PM
I already talked to sportsmans guide, they told me that if rifle ammo is still good to go they will sell it. Said they make too much money off of us to cut us off.

killshot44
04-28-2010, 10:10 PM
My girl at Cheaper Than Dirt says they're going to continue selling rifle ammo.

As to the .22 question; the wording of section 12323a says "Handgun ammunition" means ammunition principally for use in
pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12001, notwithstanding that the ammunition may also be used in some rifles.

The underlined implies that even though the round CAN be used in a rifle, if it is used in handguns it must conform to the new laws.
Ie: no more .22 ammo sold to us online.

Hey! Maybe everybody ought to cool it with the SBRs in .223? JK....

bigian
04-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Time to learn to reload :D

SickofSoCal
04-28-2010, 11:15 PM
I thought the fingerprinting was going into effect at the end of this June?

Josh3239
04-28-2010, 11:32 PM
IIRC, the original bill stated centerfire ammunition. It was later changed to pistol ammunition.

5150bronco
04-29-2010, 12:22 AM
you can have ammo shipped to private gun club shooting range.

Shrubmaster
04-29-2010, 12:47 AM
AB 962 is an FAQ (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/2009_-_AB_962_De_Leon%2C_Ammunition).

Is it just me or does that last few paragraphs conflict a bit?

winxp_man
04-29-2010, 2:30 AM
good thing i got all my reloading stuff ready to go :D these laws are just sad like really sad.......

like a guy told me a few months back the state couldnt even pass a there budget laws and there worrying about all these weapons laws

Librarian
04-29-2010, 3:27 AM
Is it just me or does that last few paragraphs conflict a bit?

I wrote it and I don't think so. What seems to conflict? I'll fix it, if I can.

Greg-Dawg
04-29-2010, 4:12 AM
CA gun laws are BS.

Juice5610
04-29-2010, 7:49 AM
you can have ammo shipped to private gun club shooting range.

say again?

robcoe
04-29-2010, 7:58 AM
I already talked to sportsmans guide, they told me that if rifle ammo is still good to go they will sell it. Said they make too much money off of us to cut us off.

I am glad to hear that, I buy all my 7.62x54 from them.

winnre
04-29-2010, 8:00 AM
Okay time to stock up then!

1. What is the shelf life of ammo? I know it will last longer than milk but is there an expiration date if stored properly?

2. How many rounds is a good number to have (for each firearm) without going overboard, assuming we have enough time to buy between now and then?

pacrimguru
04-29-2010, 8:08 AM

1. What is the shelf life of ammo? I know it will last longer than milk but is there an expiration date if stored properly?

2. How many rounds is a good number to have (for each firearm) without going overboard, assuming we have enough time to buy between now and then?

1. people are still shooting 60's era ammo with no problems. some people are even shooting wwii ammo still.

2. you're going to get varied answers to this. ammo consumption is dependent on your shooting habits. just buy as much as you can (or are willing to).

usctrojan
04-29-2010, 8:10 AM

Ever visit Nevada? Arizona? Oregon? Our neighbors are happy to sell you all you want when you visit... In fact... I'd encourage AZ right now!

winnre
04-29-2010, 8:17 AM
I'll buy from AZ in a heartbeat, but my issue now is that there are so many brands of ammo (.45 and .223) that I can hardly tell the good from the cheap.

usctrojan
04-29-2010, 8:27 AM
I'll buy from AZ in a heartbeat, but my issue now is that there are so many brands of ammo (.45 and .223) that I can hardly tell the good from the cheap.

There is many answers to that question... but that is another thread. Here is my short answer: For plinking I go with whatever is cheapest... Magtech/PMC... If I want to splurge for better hits I up it to Remington or Winchester. I am sure somebody who shoots competitively can give you the down and dirty on precision.

Scottsdale Gun Club always has good prices on .45 (their online store has the same prices as their structural location). I love to send this place business... they have redefined gun clubs in my mind. A great club at a price that even a cheapo like me can afford. .223 you can still have shipped to you so don't sweat that.

delisle
04-29-2010, 8:56 AM
Well the good news is I already reload for all the calibers I shoot, the nad news is for folks who cant do it like me.

I am glad they aren't restricting reloading items.

twinjetguy
04-29-2010, 9:08 AM
Just start stocking up on handgun ammo now. I buy most of my ammo through Sportsmans Guide myself. They have awesome deals if you have their club card. They will currently ship handgun ammo to you as well.

echo1
04-29-2010, 12:44 PM
My girl at Cheaper Than Dirt says they're going to continue selling rifle ammo.JK....

My March 2010 Cheaper than Dirt catalog #303 says at the top of all the ammo pages "As of January 2011 we will no longer sell or ship ammunition to residents of California".

stix213
04-29-2010, 3:19 PM
My girl at Cheaper Than Dirt says they're going to continue selling rifle ammo.

As to the .22 question; the wording of section 12323a says "Handgun ammunition" means ammunition principally for use in
pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12001, notwithstanding that the ammunition may also be used in some rifles.

The underlined implies that even though the round CAN be used in a rifle, if it is used in handguns it must conform to the new laws.
Ie: no more .22 ammo sold to us online.

Hey! Maybe everybody ought to cool it with the SBRs in .223? JK....

That's not what is being implied at all. The key phrase is "principally for use in pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed." If the ammo is typically used in rifles, even though it is sometimes used in pistols, it is not pistol ammo per that definition due to the use of the word "principally."

killshot44
04-29-2010, 3:48 PM
That's not what is being implied at all. The key phrase is "principally for use in pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed." If the ammo is typically used in rifles, even though it is sometimes used in pistols, it is not pistol ammo per that definition due to the use of the word "principally."

The magic word there is Notwithstanding, not Principally...