PDA

View Full Version : Can you change Your Mind after the 10 Days?

Themandalorian
04-28-2010, 2:53 PM
I bought a Wasr recently and I can pick up on the 29th, but I have been reading about saiga's and they seem a bit more appealing, is there a way to swap which gun you want, or is that impossible to do. I also could buy more ammo that day if I went with the saiga.

OleCuss
04-28-2010, 3:04 PM
As I understand it, that is a question you need to ask your dealer. I think you'll have to DROS and wait your 10 days again. . .

winnre
04-28-2010, 3:07 PM
Trader Joe's charges you a 30% fee for doing so.

barthel
04-28-2010, 3:14 PM
Same with Turner's. On Turners DROS paperwork it tells you how much your "restocking" charge is if you change your mind.

sfpcservice
04-28-2010, 3:17 PM
Aren't restocking fees illegal in CA?

schnellfeuer300
04-28-2010, 3:18 PM

Trader Joe's sells guns? That gives me three things to love about California.

dirtyJ
04-28-2010, 3:18 PM
It's entirely legal, most places will do it with minor fees tacked on. Really depends on what shop you're with and whatnot.

Ding126
04-28-2010, 3:20 PM
you can add another rifle to the exisiting dros..pick up both and then sell the unwanted rifle here..at best you will break even or have to lose a little money...but much better than restocking fee and having to dros another weapon and wait another 10 days. Good Luck

winnre
04-28-2010, 3:25 PM
Trader Joe's sells guns? That gives me three things to love about California.

Sorry I meant Turner's. But that would be wonderful now wouldn't it.

Aleksandr Mravinsky
04-28-2010, 3:43 PM
you can add another rifle to the exisiting dros.

Would the DROS have to be recent? Seems like it would be illegal to add another rifle to a three year-old DROS so that you can avoid the 10 day waiting period.

darkest2000
04-28-2010, 3:44 PM
I don't see why not. The dealer just needs to scrap the 4473 and fill out a new one with the new gun info on it. Whether he'll charge you for a restocking fee or not is up to the dealer.

darkest2000
04-28-2010, 3:45 PM
Would the DROS have to be recent? Seems like it would be illegal to add another rifle to a three year-old DROS so that you can avoid the 10 day waiting period.

You have to do it within 30 days and only if you haven't picked up the firearm yet.

Ding126
04-28-2010, 3:56 PM

I missed the 3yr old dros? It has to be a current / pending dros...additional rifles can be added the day of pick up

ke6guj
04-28-2010, 6:02 PM
I don't see why not. The dealer just needs to scrap the 4473 and fill out a new one with the new gun info on it. Whether he'll charge you for a restocking fee or not is up to the dealer.as long as the 4473 hasn't been finally signed by the FFL and the firearms delivered to the customer, they can add/remove firearms as they wish, per federal law.

RoyGilds
04-28-2010, 8:29 PM
Aren't restocking fees illegal in CA?
What have you been smoking????:43:

bruss01
04-29-2010, 8:04 AM
I think when you pay for it, the gun becomes yours, as in, it is now your property. However, like a car in the impound lot, you may not be allowed to take possession of it until certain conditions are met. You could turn around and sell it, and the dealer would dros it to the new customer or ship it out to the other FFL who is purchasing it.

Suppose you bought a gun on gunbroker from a guy in Ohio. He ships the pistol to your FFL, but the FFL realizes it is not on the Safe Handgun Roster. You call the guy in Ohio who says "Sorry, all sales final, enjoy your gun Mac". You paid for it, so the gun is your property, in the custody of an FFL who cannot legally release it to you. Your choice would be to sell it to someone who CAN take possession, either an LEO or an out-of-state resident.

So yes, you can change your mind - or have it changed FOR you due to circumstances. How each FFL handles these situations is a matter of their discretion within the limits of the law. As mentioned above, most charge a restocking fee of some sort at the very least.

CHS
04-29-2010, 9:32 AM
It's easy to change your mind. The FFL just takes the gun back into inventory and modifies the existing 4473 before it's signed and finalized.

The DROS doesn't need anything changed.

Keep in mind that as soon as you walk out the door with your shiny new rifle, the whole thing starts over again. If you get it home and realize you don't like it, you have to convince the shop to take it back and you will have to start a new set of paperwork, DROS, and 10-day wait cycle for the new gun.

But if you change your mind inside the 10-day wait, it's very easy. It's just that most FFL's, especially bigger retailers like Turners refuse to do it, or refuse to do it unless you pay huge restocking fees.

winnre
04-29-2010, 9:38 AM
Wow maybe I need to buy from you!

It's easy to change your mind. The FFL just takes the gun back into inventory and modifies the existing 4473 before it's signed and finalized.

The DROS doesn't need anything changed.

Keep in mind that as soon as you walk out the door with your shiny new rifle, the whole thing starts over again. If you get it home and realize you don't like it, you have to convince the shop to take it back and you will have to start a new set of paperwork, DROS, and 10-day wait cycle for the new gun.

But if you change your mind inside the 10-day wait, it's very easy. It's just that most FFL's, especially bigger retailers like Turners refuse to do it, or refuse to do it unless you pay huge restocking fees.

CHS
04-29-2010, 9:51 AM
Wow maybe I need to buy from you!

I don't mind if you change your mind :)

It's a bigger pain with handguns though. But it can be done.

Oldnoob
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM

Will it be organic? Cause, you know, I'm on this diet, that I only shoot organic pistol that's good for my local shooting range and friendly to our environment.

:rofl2:

Sinixstar
04-29-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't see why not. The dealer just needs to scrap the 4473 and fill out a new one with the new gun info on it. Whether he'll charge you for a restocking fee or not is up to the dealer.

edit: nevermind - i misread the question.

CSACANNONEER
04-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Man, for a minute, I thought there was a new shop in town.

The guy selling guns, out of his trunk, in the alley behind Trader Joe's, does not really work for TJs.;)

Themandalorian
04-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Alright then I guess I'll go with a saiga from them. I've already bought plenty of other things from them so I'll be happy. I was thinking of buying some ammo to so I hope they'd be fine to just alter the paperwork, have me buy ammo from them, and get a saiga