PDA

View Full Version : SIG P220 OR HK USP .45? I can't make up my mind any input would help.

DAVEYPOPPINS
04-28-2010, 1:19 PM
I'm sure I can't go wrong either way but I would like to know other peoples opinions.

Rhatical
04-28-2010, 2:17 PM
Both excellent options, can't go wrong with either. Find a range where you can shoot them and that will determine the best for you.

speedemon415
04-28-2010, 4:54 PM
HK makes a fine gun. Sig makes a great gun as well. I would say the deciding factor would be which one fits your hand best. The Full Size USP45 is a little chunkier in the grip than the P220 since the P220 is a single stack. I prefer the slimmer P220 grip as it feels great in MY hand. I would decide based on the fit and feel in your hand as a comfortable gun tends to give you better accuracy than a gun you can't get a good grip on.

bobnfloyd
04-28-2010, 5:06 PM
The stock trigger on a Sig is much better than the HK. The difference include:

Pro HK
Safety
Higher Mag Capacity

Pro Sig
Better Trigger
Alloy Frame
Changeable Grips

I like my Sig P220 more than my USP. Both are excellent, but barring the need for a Safety or the +2 rounds (and +4 for High Caps), I prefer the Sig.

teflondog
04-28-2010, 6:14 PM
I like both but prefer the USP for the extra 2 rounds. They make extended 10 round mags for the P220 but they protrude rather far from the bottom. If it's strictly a range gun then it's a wash between the two.

bsg
04-28-2010, 6:27 PM
i have not owned the HK. i do own a w german Sig P220 .45 ACP and would never part with it. the example i own was born in 1992 and imo it's as good as it gets....

-Brady

bsg
04-28-2010, 6:31 PM
oh, DAVEYPOPPINS welcome to the forum....

-Brady

Miltiades
04-28-2010, 6:39 PM
I have both of these guns, and have a hard time choosing between them. I think I can shoot them both with equal accuracy, and both have been very reliable. The Sig has a somewhat more comfortable grip and better DA trigger pull, while the USP is lighter weight and holds at least 2 more rounds.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/Two45s01.jpg

RT13
04-28-2010, 7:09 PM
Both great and I own both but Sigs are better shooters than Hk's with more comfortable hold and less felt recoil.

Snapping Twig
04-28-2010, 11:01 PM
I bought a P 220 in '87 and it has never once failed to feed or fire in all these years.

I feed it various loads from 185g to 245g, light, medium and +P in SWC, RNFP and ball. Only one box of 50 factory rounds has gone down the barrel since I've owned it - for comparison only.

Fits my hand like a glove, which is one of the reasons I bought it.

Firing pin safety with decocker is a plus over a traditional safety IMO, but I started with revolvers, so I'm biased.

The HK has a grip that doesn't fit me right and looks too industrial for my taste, so on the few occasions I've needed to CCW, the Sig was just right and the HK would have been bulky.

So, my vote obviously is for the Sig.

WaR_ClouD-VII
04-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Both are great choices but I like the P220 a little bit better for the same reasons the everyone has listed already.

Hunter158
04-29-2010, 8:47 AM
Depending on use and your hand size...
If it were the HK45 or HK45c, my answer would be different. (I've shot all four)

Buy the 220. Get the light trigger conversion from Sig. Drop-in parts make the double action pull even better.

Personally I do not like the USP series. Don't like the huge checkering on the front and back straps. The HK45 series are MUCH better ergonomically. If you can get them.

The 220 is a great gun. Good ergonomics, and is a very good carry choice.

civilsnake
04-29-2010, 9:33 AM
The 220 has a much thinner profile, especially in the grip. If you don't have big, Teutonic hands the USP can feel bulky. But that bulk buys you a staggered magazine for higher capacity. Functionally, neither holds a performance advantage. If you're used to condition 1 carry, the USP can do that. Of course, so can a SAO P220.

Personally I like both but own a P220.

Black Majik
04-29-2010, 9:49 AM
Head to head, I prefer the P220. The gun fits me better, I find the fullsize USPf .45 to be too large for my hands. I'm a USP45 owner. The trigger on the P220 is also going to be better than the USP.

However, I should note that some of the P220s with internal extractors had problems. Most likely just internet hubbub, but it's enough for SIG to start making their P220 models with external extractors. Not only that, some of the new P220 extractors seem to be made of MIM. If it doesn't work out, Grayguns can fix it for you.

NorCal_Jumper
04-29-2010, 9:54 AM
I also own both of these pistols. Its a hard choice but I would say start with the sig. Don't get me wrong HK USB is a great gun and I'll never part with it but the cost of replacement parts/magazines is real high. The double stack mags work great but they're also about $60 a piece.

My .02

DAVEYPOPPINS
04-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the advice! I think I've decided the P220 Combat is the one for me. Can't wait til its actually mine.

himurax13
04-29-2010, 10:37 AM
I had both, I ended up selling the HK. Here are my Pros and Cons.

Pro HK USP 45
Barrel Coating stayed black and is fairly rugged.
Slide coating is extremely tough.
Higher Magazine Capacity.
Could be carried locked and cocked or be used as DA/SA.
Promag makes a ridiculous 20 round mag for it.
It is a sidearm on Call of Duty.

Anti-HK USP .45
Aggressive Stripling, could hurt people with sensitive skin
Did not like where the size of the slide release or its location
Did not like the captured recoil spring assembly (harder to tune)
You have to be careful about shooting lead through the barrel
Horrible Stock trigger pull

Pro- Sig P220
Grip is for better for people who have smaller non squarish German hands.
Better trigger pull
Drop in trigger kits from Gray Guns is easy to install and eliminates stacking
Easier to take make follow up shots due to higher weight.
Has several grips available for it.
Barrel has standard rifling so shooting lead is fine.
Does not have a captured recoil spring so changing out springs is easy.

Anti-Sig P220
Single stack magazine, 10 round sticks out but still looks cool.

All in all, the P220 is much easier to shoot. It also fits my hands perfectly. In the end, its all up depends if it feels comfortable and if you can shoot is well.

kazman
04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
I recommend the P220. I've shot the USP. Just got a P220 Carry with slim grips and installed the short trigger (not SRT) because I have medium hands. Still getting used to the DA/SA transition but it's getting better and the recoil is surprisingly good even compared to my fullsize 1911 (although my 1911 does have a scandium frame).

HkFan416
04-29-2010, 11:08 AM
I'd go with a Hi-point 9mm, you can't go wrong.

DAVEYPOPPINS
04-29-2010, 11:33 AM
LOL dude I can just shoot one of yours

rumblebee
04-29-2010, 11:36 AM
P220 Combat ;)