PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for anyone that use Sig forum

Rangda
04-28-2010, 8:58 AM
What kind of email service do I need? As now I only have gmail and yahoo so neither will work for them. And I don't think I will change my DSL service just for a forum. Where can I get an email service that will work for Sig forum and not require me to change my internet service?

Thanks guys.

Black Majik
04-28-2010, 9:02 AM
Good luck. I used AOL, but that was in 2003 so I was let in.

I have no idea the requirements now, but you're not alone in trying to register.

onikuma
04-28-2010, 9:16 AM
i think that you can email one of the mods/owners and explain the situation to them, they'll let you in with a gmail/hotmail/yahoo account, but it might take a while. the forum is very protective of its members.

i just used my work email then switched to my hotmail address once the account was created.

vietcious
04-28-2010, 9:36 AM
i think that you can email one of the mods/owners and explain the situation to them, they'll let you in with a gmail/hotmail/yahoo account, but it might take a while. the forum is very protective of its members.

i just used my work email then switched to my hotmail address once the account was created.

interesting... do you know why they don't allow those accounts?

Zomgie
04-28-2010, 9:42 AM

A lot of forums or sites that require email verification don't allow what they consider 'junk' accounts. Basically anything that you can just sign up for in a few minutes without verifying who you are or paying.

For example, Facebook used to require a college email address to sign up to prevent people pretending to be from somewhere they weren't.

i1800collect
04-28-2010, 9:43 AM

Some forums don't allow registration with email accounts from yahoo mail, gmail, and hotmail because they are very mainstream and free which would attract spammers.

Freagan
04-28-2010, 9:46 AM
I used a very old junk mail account from comcast

ChrisTKHarris
04-28-2010, 9:47 AM
Good luck, I contacted and administrator and never got an email back.

Forget it, CalGuns and GlockTalk are good enough for me.

9mmepiphany
04-28-2010, 9:52 AM
the easiest thing for many people has been to use a work e-mail account and then just switch your notification to your preferred account

Wondering Nomad
04-28-2010, 10:06 AM
It's been over a month and I haven't heard a word from the mods over there. I used a "proper" e-mail address and have yet to be approved. I've seen this same issue posted on ARFCOM and they responses would suggest that the owner of Sig Forum is not very responsive and somewhat eccentric.

BoomerX01
04-28-2010, 10:10 AM
I use GMAIL and it worked.

Rangda
04-28-2010, 10:33 AM
I use GMAIL and it worked.

When did you register if you don't mind me asking. I have tried gmail sometime last year and was never approved.

Rangda
04-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Good luck, I contacted and administrator and never got an email back.

Forget it, CalGuns and GlockTalk are good enough for me.

I want to, but sometime there just few detail questions the might be easier to get from a forum full of sig owners.

winnre
04-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Go to godaddy.com and register your own site. See if rangda.com is taken. Then have all emails to any address at rangda.com sent to your gmail.

Now register with the name sig@rangda.com. It will work. On top of that you can use the email for any sites you sign up for, with the username being the site name, that way if they sell your address you can instantly know who did it!

BoomerX01
04-28-2010, 10:43 AM
When did you register if you don't mind me asking. I have tried gmail sometime last year and was never approved.

About 1 week ago. But i used this trick - add a +1 right before the @ symbol. So it would be iloveguns+1@gmail.com - it still works for your gmail, but fools their system into thinking its a unique email address.

Rangda
04-28-2010, 10:49 AM
About 1 week ago. But i used this trick - add a +1 right before the @ symbol. So it would be iloveguns+1@gmail.com - it still works for your gmail, but fools their system into thinking its a unique email address.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Rangda
04-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Go to godaddy.com and register your own site. See if rangda.com is taken. Then have all emails to any address at rangda.com sent to your gmail.

Now register with the name sig@rangda.com. It will work. On top of that you can use the email for any sites you sign up for, with the username being the site name, that way if they sell your address you can instantly know who did it!

Thanks, I'll try with my school email, then the gmail trick if those don't work, I'll give godaddy a try.

uhmeebuh
04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Now that I'm a new sig owner, I submitted my info to sig forums using my comcast address. No response...

onikuma
04-28-2010, 12:20 PM
hrm.. for those of you that haven't gotten a response.. check your spam filter. my confirmation got tossed in there for some reason.

Cyc Wid It
04-28-2010, 1:10 PM
I've been waiting for a few weeks now too. I'm not holding my breath over it, but I did buy something I found through the marketplace by directly contacting the poster through e-mail.

advocatusdiaboli
04-28-2010, 1:27 PM
Strange--I applied back when I was looking at getting my first Sig and got approved in a day. Maybe they just know a Sig aficionado when they see one :D

I did use a "pay mail" account. But it is interesting some of you never got approval. Most of the forum members tend to be from all over the US and Canada and are pretty knowledgeable.

ChrisTKHarris
04-28-2010, 1:35 PM
I've been waiting for a few weeks now too. I'm not holding my breath over it, but I did buy something I found through the marketplace by directly contacting the poster through e-mail.

Yeah I that's what I did. I ended up contacting an OP directly via email in order to buy a .357SIG barrel. :)

bsg
04-28-2010, 7:40 PM
register with work email, and have communication directed to own personal email account; like 9mmepiphany said....

-Brady