PDA

View Full Version : stag pre-ban upper legal in CA?

subroutine
03-01-2006, 8:18 PM
stag arms said they are shipping their uppers to CA (no lowers tho), but someone brought to my attention the fact that it might not be legal to build a pre-ban rifle in CA. all their uppers are considered pre-ban. i'm not sure what exactly the pre-ban applies to........the barrell, perhaps? i'm not sure.

legal? not legal? grey area?

SUB

blacklisted
03-01-2006, 8:21 PM
Expired Federal law. Pre-ban refers to one with a threaded barrel, flash suppressor, and/or bayonet lug.

You can get any of these, but if you are building with detachable mag and no pistol grip, you can't use a flash supressor.

1911_Mitch
03-01-2006, 8:25 PM
or the colapsable stock (on the lower of course), or any combination of features of PC12276.1.

xenophobe
03-01-2006, 8:26 PM
A complete pre-ban upper receiver would include the upper receiver, barrel, sights, etc... AND a threaded barrel, flash hider and/or bayonet lug. This is a Federal definition of the Federal AWB94, which has expired and doesn't mean a thing.

A 'preban' upper receiver is legal on any California registered AW, or on a rifle with a 10 round fixed magazine, for example.

Stag lower receivers are perfectly legal in California right now, they will just not ship lowers here. They will be added if the list is updated. That much is certain.

Gnote
03-01-2006, 8:27 PM
blacklisted is right. On a register AW or lower with FIXED 10 round mag, the Stag upper is COMPLETELY legal. We have the left-handed 2H upper on a fixed mag lower.

ohsmily
03-01-2006, 9:27 PM
I saw a preban garden hose (in tactical green) on gunbroker the other day.. It is a 15 inch garden hose. Can I import it into CA if it is a preban high pressure garden hose? Can I build it into a full tube with a pistol grip water regulator on the end? Is it an SBH (short barreled hose) since it is under 16 inches?

Legal?
Illegal?
Gray area?

Thanks.

PanzerAce
03-01-2006, 10:29 PM
hmmm, I think you are good to go so long as the end has less than 5 nozzle options. If more than that, you would need a special hose nozzle permit (sorry, lost the link *shrugs*)

Jicko
03-01-2006, 10:32 PM
1) 101% LEGAL

2) someone <- that someone is just not giving u the correct info

3) with the expiration of the Federal AWB, there is NO REASON to manufacture post-ban or "within ban period" uppers anymore... so everyone are just making new "pre-ban" uppers

4) I have a 1H, and I had put together a group-purchase for a WHOLE BUNCH of Stag uppers & LPKs & stock into the state....

stag arms said they are shipping their uppers to CA (no lowers tho), but someone brought to my attention the fact that it might not be legal to build a pre-ban rifle in CA. all their uppers are considered pre-ban. i'm not sure what exactly the pre-ban applies to........the barrell, perhaps? i'm not sure.

legal? not legal? grey area?

SUB

ohsmily
03-01-2006, 10:38 PM
hmmm, I think you are good to go so long as the end has less than 5 nozzle options. If more than that, you would need a special hose nozzle permit (sorry, lost the link *shrugs*)

I will be sure to stay with the less imposing 4 nozzle option head. I might be interested in suppressing the stream though which would require threading the end for an additional accessory and adding the "water can".

PanzerAce
03-01-2006, 11:08 PM
hmmm, that would be kick ***, except it would defeat the purpose of a high pressure hose, wouldnt it? but remember, you can have as many nozzle heads as you want, so long as none has 5 or more options.

Stanze
03-02-2006, 9:08 AM
3) with the expiration of the Federal AWB, there is NO REASON to manufacture post-ban or "within ban period" uppers anymore... so everyone are just making new "pre-ban" uppers

Actually, some states like New York passed legislation to permanently extend the Federal AWB on a state level, so pre-ban lowers, post-ban uppers, fixed stocks and mag limits still applies.:(

subroutine
03-02-2006, 11:13 AM
stag sent me this regarding the legality of pre-ban uppers -

"Pre-ban uppers have to be put onto registered pre-ban lowers only"

is this accurate then? i have a stag-15 lower that i would like to build up w/ their lefty model.

SUB

subroutine
03-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Actually, some states like New York passed legislation to permanently extend the Federal AWB on a state level, so pre-ban lowers, post-ban uppers, fixed stocks and mag limits still applies.:(

is this the case in california? (with regards to the pre/post-ban?)
i want a stagg upper lefty, but i don't want to get busted for bringing it into CA if it is not legal b/c it is "preban"

SUB

ohsmily
03-02-2006, 11:17 AM
stag sent me this regarding the legality of pre-ban uppers -

"Pre-ban uppers have to be put onto registered pre-ban lowers only"

is this accurate then? i have a stag-15 lower that i would like to build up w/ their lefty model.

SUB

this is innaccurate, and to be more precise, just plain F'ing WRONG.

As long as you are in compliance with SB-23, build your rifle however you like. "Pre" and "post" ban are moot terms but for the features they often represent when you refer to them.

ohsmily
03-02-2006, 11:19 AM
is this the case in california? (with regards to the pre/post-ban?)
i want a stagg upper lefty, but i don't want to get busted for bringing it into CA if it is not legal b/c it is "preban"

SUB

remove the terms preban and postban from your gun vocabulary and just refer to the upper receivers by what features are on them. flash suppressor? muzzle brake? forward pistol grip? etc.

the terms preban and postban themselves have no legal significance in CA when pertaining to upper receivers. I can't comment on what other states do (someone mentioned something about NY, etc).

xenophobe
03-02-2006, 2:13 PM
Even before 2004, CA DOJ told me on the telephone they don't care if a Colt Sporter had a collapsable stock and a flash hider... they said as long as it was registered you could do whatever you wanted with it. CA DOJ didn't enforce the federal AW ban.