PDA

View Full Version : Final go before purchasing a RAA Saiga 223

Wallabing
04-28-2010, 4:08 AM
I've been getting a lot of FUD regarding the legality of the Russian American Arms Saigain 223 being legal, or illegal in California. This comes from other people on forums, and the employees at gunshops saying it's 100% illegal, I was however assured by a private PM that RAA Saigas are legal in CA.

So , just checking to make sure, is it legal to own a RAA Saiga 223 in CA?

geeknow
04-28-2010, 4:57 AM
they are legal.

the only thing that this particular rifle has in common with a so-called 'black rifle' is the color. that is it.

go buy one and have fun.

in our store, we stock siaga's in .223, 7.62x39, and 7.62x51.

best,
g

gunRfun
04-28-2010, 6:49 AM
It is legal to own depending on how you purchase it.. HAHA!

lorax3
04-28-2010, 7:08 AM
Saiga's in general are often deemed illegal due to them being banned by "kalashnikov USA/SAIGA" on the list.

Many dealers and people alike see that it says 'Saiga' on the list and assume it is illegal. This is where Harrot comes in.

In a nutshell Harrot v. County of Kings (http://web.mit.edu/~joncox/www/docs/harrott_v_kings.shtml) says that in order for a firearm to be an assault weapon it must be banned be either both make and model, or characteristic. (12276 and 12276.1)

So as long as you get a Saiga that is not manufactured by kalashnikov and is not banned by feature you would be fine.

stix213
04-28-2010, 1:37 PM
RAA Saiga is legal

Kalishnikov USA Saiga is illegal because it is specified by "Make and Model" on the banned list, but Kalishnikov USA no longer imports them today

Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about, so don't believe anything else they say either :p

By the way, my RAA Saiga 7.62x39 is awesome :) Best gun I own by a mile

SideWinder11
04-29-2010, 9:57 PM
i can't wait to get mine. 9 more days!

limitdown
04-29-2010, 10:06 PM
I went with the 7.62x39 because it takes regular AK47 mags.
I use my pre-year2000 30round AK mags in them.
The mod was simple, I just shaved down one area of the mag catch/release.

nohuddle
04-30-2010, 8:34 AM
I have been told by Two of my local FFLs i have to have a 7.62 shipped as a fixed mag or they wont accept it. Even after i asked "Even though it doesnt have the banned features?" Both are OLL friendly so i assumed i could make the purchase and ship with no issues. Anyone know an FFL near Palm Springs who will accept one or a Gunstore closest to my area who carries them for about $350. Since the deal i found on the internet for one is $359 out the door including shipping i wanted to jump on it. I would appreciate any help on this

lmudave
04-30-2010, 8:42 AM
i have a brand new one for sale in san jose! totally legal, no matter what you've heard.

RAMCHARGER
04-30-2010, 9:28 AM
Coldwar shooters in Highland had some the last time I was there.
I got one and it's by far AWSOME

icefire
04-30-2010, 9:45 AM
I went with the 7.62x39 because it takes regular AK47 mags.
I use my pre-year2000 30round AK mags in them.
The mod was simple, I just shaved down one area of the mag catch/release.

You have to do more than just shave the catch to make a saiga feed regular AK mags reliably. You also have to install a bullet guide, or the rounds will hang up once in a while. However, it only takes about $20 and 20 minutes to do it. You drill one small hole in the trunnion right near the breach, thread it, and screw in the guide. You can get the guide form Dinzag Arms, also instructions with pictures.
A proud saiga owner in california.

And YES, RAA Saigas are perfectly legal as shipped in CA. 10 round mag stock doesnt need a bullet buttion in the sporting configuration. A lot of FFL folks are reluctant to deal with them, but a lot of them here do, and the FUD is riducoulous. Just find a FFL that will do it, and dont look back!

crazy
04-30-2010, 10:50 AM
i have a brand new one for sale in san jose! totally legal, no matter what you've heard.

Do you have a store? PM me with the price.

Themandalorian
05-02-2010, 2:57 PM
They had a bunch at the cow palace gun show. 329 dollars is just one I saw

Bizcuits
05-02-2010, 4:53 PM
They're legal, go for it!