PDA

View Full Version : Injured in the line of duty

chiefnpd
04-28-2010, 1:25 AM
Delete Please

Cali-Shooter
04-28-2010, 1:48 AM
Well, I'm happy that you're here, Welcome Chief. Theres so much wrong with this state that one doesn't know where to begin, literally. If it ain't the gun laws, it's the ultra-nannyness of everything (no using phones or holding it in your hand while driving, even if it's just to look at the time), as well as entrenched and stubborn establishments (CA DOJ) not granting 'x' to do 'y,' or 'z' to do 'a.'
Which state did you move from?

spddrcr
04-28-2010, 2:06 AM
why exactly did you call DOJ to get a discounted hunting pass and to ask permission to use a vehicle to get to hunting blinds?
usually these requests go through dept of fish and game and not DOJ. if you want the info on the discounted hunting passes send me a pm and i can do my best to get you the info i was given. I myself am handicapped and live with muscular dystrophy, there are some great discounts for state parks and a few federal programs as well.:)

rod
04-28-2010, 4:33 AM
Try DFG http://www.dfg.ca.gov/
I think only disabled licenses are issued to disabled vets. I could be wrong and may be worth the effort to call and find out. Don't ever call the DOJ and expect a straight answer on anything. Good luck.

chiefnpd
04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks so much for your comments.
I called the DOJ simply because I did not know any better.
Thanks again

CSACANNONEER
04-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Do not bother calling DFG, write them instead. That way, you'll get a responce from them in writting! I once spent an afternoon at the DFG commissioner's office in Sac. It scared the hell out of me that, as a 21 year old kid, I knew the DFG reg book better than those who I was asking to interpet the laws for me.

OleCuss
04-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree with the writing being valuable. OK to call first but writing will frequently get you a far more useful response.

Also, your first move might be to see a good physician who understands disability. It might be that they can justify writing a note saying that you need a powered mobility device or a wheelchair or such. If you explain the particular need to a sympathetic physician (as in one who is not an anti-gun/anti-hunting nut) there is a very good chance they would write a note saying that you are disabled and require a powered mobility device or ATV in order to be able to hunt. Then go to the government.

I think this one is fixable.

paul0660
04-28-2010, 11:23 AM
It scared the hell out of me that, as a 21 year old kid, I knew the DFG reg book better than those who I was asking to interpet the laws for me.

As with all public agencies, if they don't know a rule or law, they clock out at closing time and go home. If we don't, we get a fine or jail.

gun toting monkeyboy
04-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Ok, the Americans with Disabilities Act is your friend here. It is a Federal law with really big teeth. Conduct all of your interactions via email or letters, so that you have documentaion. Have your MD write you a note stating that you are unable walk more than X number of feet, and that you need reasonable accomodations to persue your activities of daily living. Hunting can and does count as an ADL. Pass that on to DFG. You should be able to get the accomodations you need with little difficulty. As for contacting DOJ, they couldn't find their own @$$ with both hands most days. Don't count on getting a real answer out of them for anything. They have no clue what the laws are.

-Mb, COTA, ATP

bluerider
04-28-2010, 5:39 PM
I think this might help:

(1) Applications: Applications for a Motor Vehicle Hunting License for mobility disabled persons shall be on a form supplied by the Department (Mobility Impaired Disabled Persons Motor Vehicle Hunting License Application, FG1460-10/95). The application shall include the applicant's name, address, physical description, a description of the qualifying disability, and a certified statement from a licensed physician describing the applicant's permanent disability. It shall be unlawful for any person to falsify an application for a Motor Vehicle Hunting License.

That will let you shoot from an ATV if the motor is turned off. There are some other conditions which are listed in the DFG regs. I could be wrong but I don't believe it is against the law to use an ATV to drive to where you want to shoot as long as you are not on the ATV when you shoot.

I have been told incorrect information in a face to face with a DFG officer in the field so it is wise to know the regs as they apply to you and to have a copy with you if you are doing anything out of the norm.

Shotgun Man
04-28-2010, 5:44 PM
Are you sure you can't drive your ATV to the blinds to hunt? How is that different from driving a truck to your hunting area?

CSACANNONEER
04-28-2010, 7:55 PM
As for contacting DOJ, they couldn't find their own @$$ with both hands most days.

Sure they can. All they have to do is try to touch their nose.:43:

chiefnpd
04-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Thank you all so very much. All good information that I will use.
Driving a truck to a hunting area does not get me into areas that the truck cannot go. One must also have a truck.
Thanks Again,

chuckdc
04-29-2010, 1:56 AM
I spent twenty six years in law enforcment. I was wounded back in 94 an injury the directlly effected my heart. I cannot walk for any distance at all. I loved to hunt, but now I cannot get to just a spot to hunt. I called the DOJ to ask if there was a way to not only get a disability hunting license but to also use my atv to get to blinds. I was denied on both accounts. You see if your not required to use a wheelchair, crutches etc. then you cannot hunt from a vehicle. However I just want to get to a blind and shoot from that. No way. Also I don't qualify for a special license, even though I have been declared handicapped. Folks I moved to this state in 2000. I regret making that move almost every day. I'm sorry I nearlly lost my life for another State but come on Ca. Have a Heart.

The Mendota state wildlife area has a set of special blinds for disabled hunters. They are really close (like <50 yards) from the parking area.

B Strong
04-29-2010, 5:48 AM
I spent twenty six years in law enforcment. I was wounded back in 94 an injury the directlly effected my heart. I cannot walk for any distance at all. I loved to hunt, but now I cannot get to just a spot to hunt. I called the DOJ to ask if there was a way to not only get a disability hunting license but to also use my atv to get to blinds. I was denied on both accounts. You see if your not required to use a wheelchair, crutches etc. then you cannot hunt from a vehicle. However I just want to get to a blind and shoot from that. No way. Also I don't qualify for a special license, even though I have been declared handicapped. Folks I moved to this state in 2000. I regret making that move almost every day. I'm sorry I nearlly lost my life for another State but come on Ca. Have a Heart.

Thank you for your service to all of us.

This may be an instance where you need the advice of competent attorney, and an help in making an appeal.