PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' for "law/inf" about out of state students bringing in AW's for training in CA

lehn20
04-27-2010, 9:48 PM
Thx

Got what I needed

CCWFacts
04-27-2010, 9:51 PM
Hahaha.

I'm sure you'll get about 20 responses that all say, "don't do it!"

There's a competition exemption, I believe, but that's very limited and I don't think it applies to training at all. I wouldn't bring in anything that's a CA AW. If you're in doubt, leave it out. Any standard-configuration AR-15 is an AW in California. Most can be modified into a non-AW configuration but you have to really understand the law to do it safely. Many people who live here take the time to learn exactly what's legal and then they do it, but most non-residents probably don't have the time or desire to.

Quiet
04-27-2010, 10:11 PM
It's not legal.

There are no exemptions for importing "assault weapons" for training purposes.
There is also no exemptions for importing large capacity magazines for training or competition purposes.

In order to qualify for the competition exemption... [PC 12280(l)]
... it needs to be sponsored/conducted/approved by a law enforcement agency or a national shooting organization or state shooting oranization.
... needs to be at a target range.
... have to travel directly to and from the event. So, no stays or side trips, straight into CA for the event, then straight out of CA after the event is over.

Penal Code 12280
(l) Subdivisions (b) and (c) shall not apply to the possession of an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle by a person to whom an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is lent pursuant to subdivision (k).
(m) Subdivisions (a), and (b), and (c) shall not apply to the possession and importation of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle.
(2) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:
(A) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(B) A target range of a public or private club or organization that is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(4) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is transported in accordance with Section 12026.1 or 12026.2.
(5) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.

Sinixstar
04-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Short answer, if you are traveling directly to a specific type of competition/match, you can do it. Training does not give you an exemption.

Long answer is : http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

Real answer is - it's just not worth it. Even though the exemption exists - you have to think about whether or not it's worth it if you get pulled over while you're in CA. If some tragic course of events take place, and police find your AR or AK in the trunk, you WILL get arrested. You WILL go to jail, and you WILL find yourself in a world of hurt over it. You might be able to beat it in court, but not after you get a free ride in a cruiser. Seeing as even people with legal non-featured rifles get picked up on AW allegations from time to time - I'd say the answer there is no, it ain't worth it.

bwiese
04-28-2010, 9:54 AM
I think many out of state trainers do not understand this, and/or confuse Calif's AW laws with the expired Federal ban (i.e, think it's like NY's). Or,t they think they have a 'brass pass' because a couple of cops are in the class.