PDA

View Full Version : Need help with AK-47 in CA

Chris89002
04-27-2010, 9:44 PM
Hey guys, I have a question for anyone that can help. I have been searching but I am not very proficient with surfing the web so I hope I'm not asking a frequently asked question.
I have always wanted to get an AK-47 but after researching I decided that it was too much of a hassle. Well, now I have a buddy in Illinois that says he wants to ship an AK over to me here in CA.
He will install a Bullet Button before shipping but what else is there to look out for? Are certain AK's illegal like certain AR lowers?
Basically I would like to know if this is legal. There are so many different things that you hear about AK's in CA so I would like to hear from the ones who really know. (Thats why I'm posting on CalGuns only.) Thanks.

77bawls
04-27-2010, 9:53 PM
It has to be off the list.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Chris89002
04-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Hey thanks. I was looking at that and didn't see the little blue box for AK. Or, I was just being lazy and didn't care to look too hard.

So.........can anyone give me a suggestion on what type of AK to get thats off the list? Which one's are good or not? Thanks Guys.

vincentk
04-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Some of the most common ones are the Saiga rifle, which comes in a sporter configuration (no pistol grip) and WASR-10 (Romanian, and does not have the greatest reputation. Can be found typically for ~$500)

Chris89002
04-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks, but I don't want a Saiga and I have heard that those WASR's are pretty bad.

Josh3239
04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Look again, 2nd page and the box furthest to the right labeled Appendix C, that is the ban list.

Hey thanks. I was looking at that and didn't see the little blue box for AK. Or, I was just being lazy and didn't care to look too hard.

So.........can anyone give me a suggestion on what type of AK to get thats off the list? Which one's are good or not? Thanks Guys.

SxB
04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
I have a converted saiga .308 with ak 74 gas tube and some arsenal furiture raddlock houge grip. Also with a bunch of other stuff. Send me a message if your interested.

TURBOELKY
04-27-2010, 10:14 PM
If your trying to buy one here in Cali., your probably better off trying to find a home build on an NDS receiver, that has been tested and you KNOW works properly! GLW purchase.

77bawls
04-27-2010, 10:14 PM
I would love a converted saiga. I also would love an AK pistol.

Chris89002
04-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Oooo, an AK pistol........and it has to be Gold plated.

VeNoM
04-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I recently just purchased an AK-47 for my first rifle here in California and its a ton of fun to shoot. Go to peachstateguns they have a good selection of AKs for sale and with most of them you can get them CA compliant with the bullet button.

Also keep in mind since we can only have 10 round mags and the guns normally come with 30 round mags the unfortunate thing is they do not swap out the high cap mags for smaller ones so I recieved my gun with no mags with it. Fortunately I purchased 10 round mags from another online website so I could shoot the gun the same weekened I recieved it.

Oh they also have AK pistols there as far as I remember.

twinjetguy
04-28-2010, 7:33 AM
Turners Outdoorsman currently has I.O. Inc Casars (ak) on sale right now. I just purchased one on Saturday. Got it for $650 out the door. Add a grip and a bullet button and you have an AK. Just like any gun, you are going to have people that love it and people that knock it. I have read a bunch of both. I decided to give it a try. Turners has a pretty great warranty policy so I feel comfortable with my purchase.

PoofNoEyebrows
04-28-2010, 7:37 AM
Ammo Bros. in Cerritos usually has some AK's / RPK's in their racks. You can try giving them a call.

limitdown
04-28-2010, 7:37 AM
+1 on the magazines. Make sure he does NOT ship you any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

That would be considered illegally importing high capacity magazines.

xet
04-28-2010, 7:39 AM
I have heard that those WASR's are pretty bad.

You have heard the inaccurate and extremely blown out of proportion statements of a small group of people. If you order from a reputable place you don't have anything to worry about besides maybe some mag wobble which you can fix yourself.

Or you can spend 2x or more on a higher quality ak.

416stroker
04-28-2010, 5:02 PM
Buy a vepr. Whats your budget? Theres a lot of good options.

Id iether get a yugo or a vepr