PDA

View Full Version : First AR build....FOR THE GIRLFRIEND (update with video)

acheron800
04-27-2010, 9:06 PM
First AR build, never done it before, thought id give it a try. Although I own some EBRs, ive always bought them built.

Started a little while ago, only ended up with one knick on the bolt release pin. Those pins are a mother.

Anyways JD lower, everything else magpul, cmmg parts. Standard stuff, Im building it for my girlfriend for her birthday and graduation. She will get to do her first very own DROS soon. :eek:

Anyways, I am wondering what I should do for an upper? Im going carbine I know that because I bought the magpul MVG and handguard.

Right now I am looking at a complete Stag 2H 16" carbine length with the rear flip up and front post for $504 shipped. Includes BCG and CH.

Any other deals like this that are comparable? Again keeping it budget build but somewhat decent, IE no delcon or whatever that company is called.

Also I can get a Rock River complete 16" for $475 before tax local with BCG and CH. Should I go this route? And just pick up some overpriced BUIS :rolleyes:?

Also I think Im going to put that strikefire on it for her, seems like a good deal for the money.

Thanks

Noah3683
04-27-2010, 9:52 PM
Of those 2 options stag

77bawls
04-27-2010, 9:58 PM
We'll need pics of girlfriend to make an educated decision.

Started a little while ago, only ended up with one knick on the bolt release pin. Those pins are a mother.

I put electrical tape on one side and used channel locks.

karl9422
04-27-2010, 10:09 PM
you could check out parallax tactical. i went there the other day and they had good prices and where a big help since i am also staring my first build and i have never owned an ar so they got me on the right track. hope this helps and good luck with the build

IronColt
04-27-2010, 10:10 PM
get that LMT that's going for 370 shipped.

acheron800
We'll need pics of girlfriend to make an educated decision.

I put electrical tape on one side and used channel locks.

I used vice grips wrapped with tons of electrical tape, and still got a little knock, no biggie, nothing a sharpie cant take care of.

How did I know the picture subject would get brought up. haha.

jshoebot
I picked up a Spike's Tactical M4 LE 16" upper for 500 plus tax from Parallax Tactical and I love it. IMO it's a better value for what you get than RRA or Stag. Or you could always go with a JD upper for around 500 as well and keep it all one brand! JD makes good stuff.. www.parallaxtactical.com (http://www.parallaxtactical.com)go check them out! Good prices and great guys, and local to you and me in the Mira Mesa area. They helped me finish my first build last week.

acheron800
04-27-2010, 10:11 PM

Where is this? Is this with BCG and CH?

About parralax, does the JD they have come with the BCG and CH... NM found it, yes it does. Sweet, maybe Ill do that, and just throw some cheap magpul BUPS on it. LOL. And that one is 14.5" coool.

It just seems when you buy everything separately it costs more when it comes to the upper.

PS thanks for all the comments guys.

Any comments on the strikefire, Ive read some really good reviews.

jshoebot
04-27-2010, 10:13 PM
yeah the JD comes with everything. they had a few there when i bought my spike's, i just decided on the spike's because i liked the laser etching of the spike's emblem on the BCG.

acheron800
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
yeah the JD comes with everything. they had a few there when i bought my spike's, i just decided on the spike's because i liked the laser etching of the spike's emblem on the BCG.

Anything the spikes has that is significantly better than the JD? Now it is $20 more expensive. But if it is just the laser etched emblem I would rather go with JD and keep all the parts the same name.

jshoebot
04-27-2010, 10:28 PM
To me it looked like the JD's feed ramps were a little off. That's really the only difference i could discern. I have a JD lower as well and wanted to keep it all JD to support a local business, but decided on the Spike's due to the feed ramps.

karl9422
04-27-2010, 10:56 PM
i am going to go with the spikes but thats only due to them having one for a lefty

jshoebot
04-27-2010, 11:09 PM
I actually took my AR to the range yesterday for the first time and fired 300 rounds through the Spike's upper; performed flawlessly!

Richie Caketown
04-27-2010, 11:12 PM
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cat=161

or

http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/126/9

both of these guys have really good stuff

77bawls
04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
I keep checking this thread with hopes of girlfriend pics. :(

Richie Caketown
04-27-2010, 11:37 PM
I keep checking this thread with hopes of girlfriend pics. :(

im keeping my fingers crossed too

acheron800
04-27-2010, 11:52 PM
You guys are funny, I will get pics when the rifle is complete, for now here is one of her and her dad's 30-30

jshoebot
04-27-2010, 11:52 PM
You guys are funny, I will get pics when the rifle is complete, for now here is one of her and her dad's 30-30

what range is that at? is that here in SD?

acheron800
04-28-2010, 12:01 AM
what range is that at? is that here in SD?

A place to shoot, santa clarita, really cool range. I could only WISH we had one like theirs down here. 7 ranges, up to 400 yds on the rifle, friendly people too. AND cheap.

Is there anything like that down here? Ive been to pala and rainbow, but those cost membership, and in times like these, I dont go shooting nearly enough to justify yearly memberships.

jshoebot
04-28-2010, 12:05 AM
A place to shoot, santa clarita, really cool range. I could only WISH we had one like theirs down here. 7 ranges, up to 400 yds on the rifle, friendly people too. AND cheap.

Is there anything like that down here? Ive been to pala and rainbow, but those cost membership, and in times like these, I dont go shooting nearly enough to justify yearly memberships.

go check out the south bay rod & gun club. it's east of chula vista in a little town called dulzura. they have an up to 300 yard rifle range and they're pretty cool. just search for "south bay rod & gun club" on yahoo or google for the website.

goathead
04-28-2010, 12:05 AM
stag !!!

faust858
04-28-2010, 12:22 AM
I would go JD, they make Noveske uppers so there products can't be that wrong. If you have the chance you should tour the factory, a great bunch of guys working at JD.
Great gift you are giving your gf. Since I don't think it was asked yet, your gf have a sister or other friends that like to shoot? :D
I went JD for my 308 build, and waiting for the damn parts to put her together.

jshoebot
04-28-2010, 12:26 AM
Since I don't think it was asked yet, your gf have a sister or other friends that like to shoot? :D

damn i can't believe i forgot to ask that! =[

fliparch
04-28-2010, 6:06 AM
How I wish my wife would ask me to build her an AR. Ask your girlfriend if she could hang out with my wife?! ;-)

!@#$
04-28-2010, 8:08 AM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=486660&page=1

best deal around...

HK Dave
04-28-2010, 8:36 AM
I remember when i built my wife an AR... she said, "Light please but comfy"

Got her a an LMT Defender with SOPMOD stock and 14.5" barrel with a pinned vortex. DD 7" lite rail.

Comfy and light!

Great balance... :)

acheron800
05-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Bought the Spikes M4 LE upper 16", cant beat $475 with BCG and CH. 1:7 and all the goodies, comes with their T2 Buffer as well.

acheron800
06-19-2010, 4:55 PM
First time out.

GgnPEAcBFSc

Notblake
06-19-2010, 9:04 PM
First time out.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! !!!!!!!!!

This is the sound of me being jealous..................

thefinger
06-19-2010, 9:09 PM
What optic did you go with?

gunRfun
06-19-2010, 9:51 PM
Is that a Vortex on the AR?

acheron800
06-19-2010, 9:53 PM
Yes the vortex, was cheap and got it off a calgunner. It is a good optic for the money.

Finally got my burris ar332 dialed in on my sig 556...

All I got to say is the burris is a damn good optic for $300 no matter what the reviews say.

bjl333
06-19-2010, 9:53 PM

He sold out of them !!!

bjl333
06-19-2010, 10:02 PM
First AR build, never done it before, thought id give it a try. Although I own some EBRs, ive always bought them built.

Anyways JD lower, everything else magpul, cmmg parts. Standard stuff, Im building it for my girlfriend for her birthday and graduation. She will get to do her first very own DROS soon. :eek:

Anyways, I am wondering what I should do for an upper? Im going carbine I know that because I bought the magpul MVG and handguard.

Right now I am looking at a complete Stag 2H 16" carbine length with the rear flip up and front post for $504 shipped. Includes BCG and CH.

Any other deals like this that are comparable? Again keeping it budget build but somewhat decent, IE no delcon or whatever that company is called.

Also I can get a Rock River complete 16" for $475 before tax local with BCG and CH. Should I go this route? And just pick up some overpriced BUIS :rolleyes:?

Also I think Im going to put that strikefire on it for her, seems like a good deal for the money.

Thanks

I have built 3 JD's and the bolt catch pin hole gave me the most trouble. All 3 of them feels like the insides are not smooth. The rest of the lower is well built.
All the other lowers I've built didn't have any problems, including Stag, LAR Grizzly, YHM, Delaware Machine, Mega Gator, Mega Billet, Double Star.
If I had to do a JD again I would try the RRA lpk. The pin in those are great and the material looks like its thinner and it goes in real easy.

acheron800
06-19-2010, 10:53 PM
I have built 3 JD's and the bolt catch pin hole gave me the most trouble. All 3 of them feels like the insides are not smooth. The rest of the lower is well built.
All the other lowers I've built didn't have any problems, including Stag, LAR Grizzly, YHM, Delaware Machine, Mega Gator, Mega Billet, Double Star.
If I had to do a JD again I would try the RRA lpk. The pin in those are great and the material looks like its thinner and it goes in real easy.

Thanks for the info, will do RRA lpk with the next JD and see if it helps, I figured it was me being a noob and my first build.

Love the JD lower for $99 though.