PDA

View Full Version : New Glock Owner

badreligion
04-27-2010, 8:39 PM
I am almost a Glock 21 owner. A few more days and it will be home. It seams that everytime I went into buy a G21 something else caught my eye and took my money. First it was a Kimber Custom. Then it was a Bushmaster AR. Then a Mossberg 590A1. Then a Sig P220 Combat. Then a M1A Supermatch. Alot of other things and guns jumped in the mix also over the last few years. Well I finally did it.

Picking up my Glock 21 OD on the 4th. Now to make it my own. There are a few things I have been looking to change to make it my own. I am planning on adding the Glock extended slide release, Night Sights, LWD or Ghost 3.5 connector and an extended mag release.

I am interested in hearing peoples opinions so feedback is welcome.

BMWguy206
04-27-2010, 8:51 PM
A lot of people don't like the Glock extended mag release because it sticks too far out and recommend getting the Vickers Glock Extended Mag Release because it's somewhere between the standard and Glock extended mag release. http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-products/glock-mag-catch/

I don't have any experience with the Ghost 3.5 connector since I have a Glock 35 and already came with the 3.5lb connector but I replaced my whole trigger assembly with a Glockworx ultimate trigger setup. www.glockworx.com.

As for the sights I bought and installed Sevigny competition sights with fiber optic front.

bsg
04-27-2010, 9:09 PM
i can only add that my son loves his Glock 21....

-Brady

badreligion
04-27-2010, 9:14 PM
Was thinking of either the JP or T.H.E. mag release to give it a different look and larger button. I have heard they can stick out further from the slide possibly dropping mags unexpectedly. I may have to mod the undersides of the buttons to make them sit closer to the frame.

I don't think I want a light race trigger for a carry gun. The stock trigger on my gun sux. Thinking that a 3.5 connector and a light polish job on the trigger parts to lighten ans smooth it out.

Wanting to stick with traditional night nights. Anyone have a recommendation.

Also planning to use the Nowlin Tactical Laynard Plug.

gh916
04-27-2010, 9:20 PM
congrats!... i know the feeling, waiting those last few days. it's like being a kid waiting for the countdown to christmas morning. enjoy!

goathead
04-27-2010, 9:29 PM
i love glock

karl9422
04-27-2010, 9:35 PM
i know i got 2 more days before i can pick up my glock 26. cant wait will be my first one also. glad to hear you finally got one seems like a solid gun to me will find out here soon.

Preacher
04-27-2010, 10:26 PM
I will soon be part of this club.....very soon...:D

Chester
04-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Just brought my new Glock 22 home last night and between then and now, I've been to the range twice.

I LOVE this weapon. Especially since I learned how not to shoot my targets in the nuts when I'm aiming center of mass anymore...

Be careful not to oil it too much. I did when I cleaned it earlier tonight and had CLP dripping down the damn trigger and had to go back in to soak it up. They're not lying when they say you only have to put a little on the 4 slide points.

As to your question, I like keeping things stock. Iron sights and no optics, flashlights, lasers, or any of that goofy stuff (AR's just got a carrying handle and M4 handguards) The ONLY thing I'm considering putting on my Glock though are the night sights considering the stock sights are useless in a dark room, which is kind of the reason I have it around in the first place.

Still, I haven't looked at it, but I'm assuming the night sights are typical glow in the dark that won't illuminate at 3 in the morning anyway, so who knows.

BlackViper
04-28-2010, 9:47 AM
So I have a 17 and a 21 so here are my thoughts...

Just shoot the gun as-is for a couple hundred rounds to establish a baseline before you go swapping things out.

For me, the stock mag release is too short. If you're standing in a range booth then its no big deal, but as soon as you do any real training with it with reloads on the move or what not I found it a little too short for really fast operation. I will second the Vickers extended mag release - it is just a few millimeters longer but the same profile and to me its perfect. I wouldn't want anything bigger (longer or bigger button).

For the extended slide catch - I'm 50/50. I have one on my 21 but not on my 17. The extended one certainly is easy to operate with just your thumb, but its also one of those things that's a bit meaningless. In a high-stress situation you operate the slide by racking it - more gross motor skills versus the fine motor skills of working the slide catch with your thumb. It just makes it a tad easier to clear your gun and lock the slide to the rear IMO.

As for the trigger - it's a glock - meaning its a plastic beater gun and the stock trigger is good enough to get going with. For a carry gun I wouldn't change anything I don't think, except maybe a little polish job to smooth things out a little.

Lastly, just go shoot it!

biofire
04-28-2010, 10:06 AM
I have a Glock 21 and 19, and love them both. Since this is your first Glock, put 500-1,000 rounds through it before you take it apart so you can get a feel for the gun. After that, polish the friction points on the trigger assembly and you're good to go. If it becomes your home defense gun, then spend some money on good night sights.

jmv7000
04-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I pick up my 23 today. I purchased it from a friend who had the 3.5 trigger put on it and the trigger / pin reset was shortened to allow for easier rapid fire. The result between factory and upgrade is like transitioning from driving on a dirt road to a newly paved highway. I also put the rubber decal grips on it which helps A LOT, especially if your hand sweats or higher humidity. I'm sure you've seen nutnfancy's youtube glock mod video. He recommends some good stuff.

Oldnoob
04-28-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm very interesting to pick up a 21sf. I have tried a G21 before but the grip just a tap too fat for me.

Southpaw45
04-28-2010, 4:23 PM
Good pick for a handgun. I love Glocks to. I like everything you want to add on except the 3.5lb connector. I just feel that there is nothing wrong with the 5.5 that comes stock. I have heard many comments about the 3.5 and lots of experianced shooters of Glocks learn the function of the 5.5 and its also recomended to leave a slightly heavier trigger pull for carry and self defence. One Buddy of mine changed his connector to a 3.5 on his G30 and you can barely tell the difference. It only took about 1/2lb off the pull. I would not do the extended mag release if your left handed or you will holster the Glock. Congrats on your purchase....

Greg-Dawg
04-28-2010, 4:34 PM
Just keep it stock and spend money on ammo or training.

I loves my Glock Fotays!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/40SW31rounder002jpg.jpg

bsg
04-28-2010, 5:34 PM
Greg-Dawg only you can make the glock look sexy; great photography....

-Brady

GunLover
04-30-2010, 7:40 AM
Congrats. You will be very happy. Get the 30 next.

Turbinator
04-30-2010, 10:15 AM
I personally like the Glock extended slide lock / release. I didn't like the factory one. I'd recommend the extended version from Glock, because I don't think it sticks out too far.

Turby

coq
04-30-2010, 10:21 AM
I agree with Greg-Dawg on this one...keep the Glock stock. Put your accessories money toward ammo, mags, training and your next gun.

OMGofWar
04-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I personally like the Glock extended slide lock / release. I didn't like the factory one. I'd recommend the extended version from Glock, because I don't think it sticks out too far.

x2.

i bought one each for my G19 and G22. it doesn't look like much in the bag, but once you put it on you realize just how much your finger can really get on it. great mod.