PDA

View Full Version : AWB legal?

Epeescott
03-01-2006, 5:37 PM
Hello, all - new guy here, though I have been around on other gun boards for a few years now.

In discussing that mythical beast, the Shrike; I found myself wondering if it would be legal here.

Since a) the CA AWB only restricts lowers, and b) a belt fed upper is not a "semiautomatic centerfire rifle with the ability to accept a detachable magazine".

Hmmmm.

What do you think? Buy a FAB-10 lower and a Shrike or MGI upper? I think it would be fine.

Charliegone
03-01-2006, 5:54 PM
Hmm well since the receiver is considered the lower portion the upper wouldn't be considered an aw. The problem seems to be (to me) putting it together. If I am not mistaken, a belt fed rifle is still considered an AW if it has the sb23 features. If you can some how remove the flash hider, pistol grip, and collapsible , in other words make it into a legal rifle, you should be fine. Other than that...I don't think "fixing" the mag would work.

C.G.
03-01-2006, 6:35 PM
Hmm well since the receiver is considered the lower portion the upper wouldn't be considered an aw. The problem seems to be (to me) putting it together. If I am not mistaken, a belt fed rifle is still considered an AW if it has the sb23 features. If you can some how remove the flash hider, pistol grip, and collapsible , in other words make it into a legal rifle, you should be fine. Other than that...I don't think "fixing" the mag would work.

But you can limit the links to 10 rounds.:D

383green
03-01-2006, 6:50 PM
I believe that the belt would be considered a detachable magazine, and thus the rifle would need to be configured without any of the restricted features that aren't allowed on centerfire rifles that have the capability to accept a detachable magazine.

Also, linking more than 10 rounds together would be considered manufacturing a "high capacity" magazine, unless the links were possessed in CA before the cutoff date.

Sigh.

If you really need some good ol' belt-fed fun, another good option is to build a semi-auto M1919A4 (http://1919a4.com). The 10-round belt limit still applies, of course.

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
03-01-2006, 7:06 PM
got a link for that shrike?

Dump1567
03-01-2006, 7:16 PM
I might be mistaken, but I don't think the Shrike ever got out of R&D. Do a search of AR15.com to be sure.

C.G.
03-01-2006, 7:22 PM
You don't have to go to ARF.com; the subject has been covered here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=25886&highlight=shrike

So if you have spare $5,000 . . .:p

xenophobe
03-01-2006, 8:28 PM
So if you have spare $5,000 . . .:p

... and a few years of waiting in line...

TKM
03-01-2006, 8:50 PM
IIRC it's a serial numbered part and considered a firearm.

I know, but I remember looking at this a few years ago. Now I've gotta go look again.

Charliegone
03-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Thats what I was wondering...since the belt feed is from the upper and not the lower I was thinking the upper would be considered a "firearm." Oh yeah 10rd links are ok. ;)