PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 love it or leave it?

five.five-six
04-27-2010, 8:38 PM
just got a 7 machine, I am just getting used to it and like it thus far, seems stable an light weight.... could it be that Micro_hit has finally got a better OS than apple?

armygunsmith
04-27-2010, 8:44 PM
Keep it, unless you have legacy applications that only run on previous versions of Windows. These days that doesn't even matter much because you can run virtual machines to get past that issue.

2DoorImpala
04-27-2010, 8:45 PM
I hated vista, came new with my pc. Few weeks after i upgraded to Win7. Happy camper

i1800collect
04-27-2010, 8:51 PM
After using Vista for a week, I had to go back to XP Pro. After using 7, I stuck with it. I like the new taskbar and how it was much less annoying to use than Vista.

ATM I've got a MacBook Pro with OS X and a custom-built PC running 7. I wouldn't say one OS is really better than the other, they've both got their pros and cons.

bigmike82
04-27-2010, 9:16 PM
Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

Sajedene
04-27-2010, 9:17 PM
Love Windows 7. It was my idea you know.

Blackhawk556
04-27-2010, 9:22 PM
i like it, i've been using it since jan 2009 and i can't complain.

everything runs great, even on my netbook win7 professional runs fine

wjc
04-27-2010, 9:23 PM
I've been using it since beta (I test new operating systems for work). I think
it's much more user friendly and stable that Vista. That was just an awful product.

Windows 7 still has some issues with driver availability, but all in all I think it's a much better offering than Vista. Especially after turning off UAC. :chris:

Blackhawk556
04-27-2010, 10:09 PM
I've been using it since beta (I test new operating systems for work). I think
it's much more user friendly and stable that Vista. That was just an awful product.

Windows 7 still has some issues with driver availability, but all in all I think it's a much better offering than Vista. Especially after turning off UAC. :chris:

driver availability??? really?

I haven't had a single issue with that at all

Grumpyoldretiredcop
04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I have a PC running (if you can call it that) on Vista at work. I'd cheerfully migrate it to Windows 7 if I could. As for myself, I'm sticking with XP Pro on my home PC since it does what I need.

tacticalcity
04-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Could not live without media center. Got every tv in the place hooked up to it, 4TB worth of hard drive space filled with almost 3 TB of movies and TV shows. Works like TIVO with virtually unlimited hard drive space and then some.

nrvnqsrxk
04-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Love how Windows 7 is much more streamlined and FASTER than Vista.

Then again you couldn't get me to trade ANYTHING for a Mac.

Fantasma
04-28-2010, 1:41 AM
Love it!

Finally switched from XP after using it for 6 years.

JDay
04-28-2010, 1:43 AM
Keep it, unless you have legacy applications that only run on previous versions of Windows. These days that doesn't even matter much because you can run virtual machines to get past that issue.

Legacy apps wont run? There's an app for that. However I've yet to run into something that will not run in Windows 7, XP Mode was made so that companies don't have to worry about their in-house stuff breaking, i.e. intranet sites written for older versions of IE. XP Mode will not install on Home Premium.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

ETA: With XP Mode you install your apps in the VM and then you can launch them from your Windows 7 start menu on your main desktop, no need to boot the VM. You will need a CPU that supports virtualization for this functionality to work though.

five.five-six
04-28-2010, 2:16 PM
I do like the way it handles 4 GB of ram with 64 bit

Joe
04-28-2010, 2:19 PM
Windows 7 is awesome.

winnre
04-28-2010, 2:27 PM
Had Vista. Do I like W7? Well it is better than Vista. That does not mean I love it. I have a Mac too. My next computer will be a Mac and this is likely my last version of Windows.

gotime
04-28-2010, 3:07 PM
Microsoft really stepped it up with 7. I'm in the very small minority of people that actually left Macs to come back to PCs (still use the iPhone though). Remember folks, with Macintosh you are paying just that little extra bit to be part of the "cool crowd".

Mute
04-28-2010, 3:20 PM
Love it! Best Microsoft OS to date. Haven't tried any flavor of Mac OS, yet, that can hold a candle.

TWoods450
04-28-2010, 3:49 PM
I've used 'em all and can tell ya I like Windows 7 , I use the 64bit Enterprise edition all day at work, but at home I use OSX 10.6 on the computer I use the most, it also has win7x64 installed via bootcamp.

five.five-six
04-28-2010, 6:57 PM
I have considered a mac, but they are way too complicated for a simple guy like me to figure out

NSR500
04-28-2010, 7:13 PM
I like it a lot.

Johansenk
04-28-2010, 7:24 PM
Remember folks, with Macintosh you are paying just that little extra bit to be part of the "cool crowd".

Not really. I bought mine without the "cool crowd" mind set, and with the amount of crap I have downloaded via Limewire and other virus filled downloading engines...3 years later it still runs like a champ. I don't know if I could ever go back to a PC unless I went gaming. Sure you pay more with a Mac, but I was blowing up PC's at least once a year before the switch

Oh and to the OP, Macs are super simple once you get the hang of them. I used them in college so that helped. Everything just works together

patriot_man
04-28-2010, 7:27 PM
I love it. It's so fast and easy to move through

Saigon1965
04-28-2010, 7:38 PM
Been using it for awhile now and I like it -

JDay
04-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Not really. I bought mine without the "cool crowd" mind set, and with the amount of crap I have downloaded via Limewire and other virus filled downloading engines...3 years later it still runs like a champ. I don't know if I could ever go back to a PC unless I went gaming. Sure you pay more with a Mac, but I was blowing up PC's at least once a year before the switch

Oh and to the OP, Macs are super simple once you get the hang of them. I used them in college so that helped. Everything just works together

People still use Limewire? Just so you know the default settings in Limewire shares all your documents on the network. Its a major security risk. Torrents are a much better option.

fdbizzle
04-28-2010, 10:26 PM
People still use Limewire? Just so you know the default settings in Limewire shares all your documents on the network. Its a major security risk. Torrents are a much better option.

oh the irony...

gravedigger
04-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Just remember. With few exceptions, (ME, Vista, 98) Windows O/S work well at first. Once the brain dead hackers begin to figure out how to attack it with viruses, trojans and worms, and you are required to download critical updates every 4 hours just to keep it alive, it will just be another aggravating, bloated, undependable O/S.

Will someone PLEASE start from scratch, design a new o/s for PCs, keep it crisp and clean, and give me some alternative to all of the garbage that comes out of Microsoft? PLEASE!!???

Sajedene
04-28-2010, 11:01 PM

One of the biggest misconceptions that comes attached with the Mac is that it does not get viruses. This is also enabled by the company and thus plenty of users walk around thinking they are immune when in fact they are not. (iWork 2009 Botnet cough cough)

It all comes down to the fact that malicious people who make the viruses and trojans and what not will choose to make these with the greatest area of damage or effect. They will then choose to target the OS that is more widely used. This leaves everything up to the users to be smart and not be doing things that allow them to be attacked in such a malicious ways.

fdbizzle
04-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Just remember. With few exceptions, (ME, Vista, 98) Windows O/S work well at first. Once the brain dead hackers begin to figure out how to attack it with viruses, trojans and worms, and you are required to download critical updates every 4 hours just to keep it alive, it will just be another aggravating, bloated, undependable O/S.

Will someone PLEASE start from scratch, design a new o/s for PCs, keep it crisp and clean, and give me some alternative to all of the garbage that comes out of Microsoft? PLEASE!!???

http://www.publispain.com/posters/hackers.jpg

THEIR ONLY CRIME IS CURIOSITY

wjc
04-28-2010, 11:48 PM
driver availability??? really?

I haven't had a single issue with that at all

well, remember, I do this at work so I may be hitting some drivers and stuff that isn't generally used by general population.

I will admit it's been rare...I think M$ learned part of their lesson from Vista. (We couldn't get drivers for love or money...HP springs to mind)

phamkl
04-29-2010, 1:31 AM
Love it for sure.

MS for sure learned a lesson from Vista. Windows 7 has been by far the most stable Windows I've ever used. The main thing I don't like is the graphic heavy UI. It's too Apple for my taste. The pictures are cleaner but they tell me less at a glance than words. Overall though the execution of 7 has been clean and stable and reliable for me.

JDay
04-29-2010, 2:18 AM
Love it for sure.

MS for sure learned a lesson from Vista. Windows 7 has been by far the most stable Windows I've ever used. The main thing I don't like is the graphic heavy UI. It's too Apple for my taste. The pictures are cleaner but they tell me less at a glance than words. Overall though the execution of 7 has been clean and stable and reliable for me.

You can disable the Aero UI, your desktop wont look nearly as clean though.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-aero-on-windows-vista/

Thrasher416
04-29-2010, 3:15 AM

Not to mention Torrents aren't spam and adware infested like Limewire is every time you do a search. Plus before you download a torrent you can tell if it is really what it says it is by the comments left by previous downloaders.

I remember back in the day my friend tried downloading Revenge of the Sith with Limewire... and it didn't turn out to be a George Lucas movie. :rolleyes:

Of course I know that Calgunners would never violate Copyright protection laws.

Booshanky
04-29-2010, 6:39 AM
I was using the RC for a few months before it was released. when i stopped being able to use that, i actually went out and bought a copy of windows 7 ultimate. It's the only operating system I've ever paid for.

So yeah, it's really good.

2DoorImpala
04-29-2010, 8:56 AM
Private torrents > public torrents

winnre
04-29-2010, 9:13 AM
Wanna have fun with Limewire?

First, use Frostwire, it is as fast as the paid version of Limewire and it is free.

Second, search for documents, type in "resume" and you will be on people's PCs. Now click "browse Host" and viola, you are ON their computer.

Free voyeurism.

JDay
04-29-2010, 2:10 PM
I was using the RC for a few months before it was released. when i stopped being able to use that, i actually went out and bought a copy of windows 7 ultimate. It's the only operating system I've ever paid for.

Somehow I've managed to get XP Pro, Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate from Microsoft for free. The copy of Windows 7 I got is even signed by Steve Ballmer.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5378/img0454ql.jpg

JDay
04-29-2010, 2:12 PM
Wanna have fun with Limewire?

First, use Frostwire, it is as fast as the paid version of Limewire and it is free.

Limewire is free, the paid clone that was floating around was from a 3rd party and contained a ton of spyware.

Diablo
04-29-2010, 3:20 PM
Somehow I've managed to get XP Pro, Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate from Microsoft for free. The copy of Windows 7 I got is even signed by Steve Ballmer.

How did you do that?

JDay
04-29-2010, 4:17 PM
How did you do that?

I signed up for that house party promotion, had the final version of Windows 7 in my hands about 2 weeks before release. Although I already had it long before then thanks to MSDN. Got Vista Ultimate at a developers conference with a bunch of other stuff, don't remember how I got XP for free though.

Bug Splat
04-29-2010, 10:41 PM
I LOVE my Win 7 Machines. I personally own 3. My gaming machine still runs XP because of the light foot print. Its the only thing that machine does.

Win 7 just is so much better than any other OS out there. Super easy to use and still sleeping in the shadows hides the amazing networking and domain structure which is MS bread and butter. Every new machine I bring in for my company has Win 7. New users are confused for the first day, managing by the second day and loving it by the 3rd day.

Diablo
04-30-2010, 6:38 AM
I signed up for that house party promotion, had the final version of Windows 7 in my hands about 2 weeks before release. Although I already had it long before then thanks to MSDN. Got Vista Ultimate at a developers conference with a bunch of other stuff, don't remember how I got XP for free though.

Well, well, well....I see you hang around with the big people..:)

Theseus
05-03-2010, 8:14 PM
I love Win 7! As mentioned, the only OS I have ever been willing to pay for, not just once, but twice!

When reconstructing my living room HTPC Win 7 installed in about 30 min with all drivers loaded and firing on all cores!

I love it!

robcoe
05-03-2010, 8:42 PM
7 is the only OS I have ever liked enough to pay for.

Dangerpin
05-03-2010, 9:19 PM
There really needs to be an option between "Love it" and "Leave it". It is a marked improvement over Vista but can be a real pain in the rear trying to work with older hardware.

But for a home environment I would generally wholeheartedly recommend Win7.

JDay
05-03-2010, 9:32 PM
There really needs to be an option between "Love it" and "Leave it". It is a marked improvement over Vista but can be a real pain in the rear trying to work with older hardware.

But for a home environment I would generally wholeheartedly recommend Win7.

Its not Microsofts fault that the hardware manufacturers don't write Vista/7 drivers for old, unsupported hardware. If the hardware is that old its probably obsolete anyways. Besides, if you really need to use it just stick with XP/2000. You can usually install the driver under XP mode to get old hardware to work too. However if the system is so old that your hardware doesn't have drivers for Windows 7 then XP mode will probably run slow if at all on that machine.

Dr Rockso
05-03-2010, 9:50 PM
I've been a Mac user for ~7 years. The PowerBook G4 I had for 5 years was absolutely great...my current MacBook Pro that I've used for the past couple is just 'okay'. I really disliked Vista, but I built a Win7 desktop rig and I have to say I'm suitably impressed. It still feels like the OS gets in my way more than OS X does, but it's just as (if not more!) stable than the Mac.

Also for running dual 16:9 aspect ratio monitors the Win7 snap-to-half-screen features is AWESOME. I feel like I have four usable monitors, whereas at work I use a 30" Apple monitor and I usually have a ton of wasted pixels when using most applications (and my whole desktop machine plus dual 23" monitors still cost less than the 30" Apple display). I have to say that unless Apple comes out with something really impressive in the next release or two of OS X my next laptop will probably be a PC.

Al Norris
05-04-2010, 7:48 AM
They have.

My last WinBox was just before XP came out. I had dual partitions for 98SE and W2K. After using a couple of different linux distros, I settled on one and wiped WinEverything off my drives.

Wife got an XP box in 2004. I was always, and I mean always, scrubbing her system from various attacks. Her 'puter died in '09 and she used mine for a bit while I gathered stuff to make a new machine for her.

At her insistence, she is now running a linux box.

Granted, linux isn't for gamers (though they try - wine isn't ready yet). But for everyday home use and even for SOHO use, you can't beat it.

Is there a learning curve? Of course there is.

Best part of the whole linux thing? Most everything is free.

MonsterMan
05-04-2010, 8:12 AM
I really like Windows 7. Very stable and pretty fast too. I am happy I switched over from XP Pro (and I LOVED XP).

ScottB
05-04-2010, 9:12 AM
Beats the hell out of Vista, but for some reason, IE browser periodically freezes, shuts down and recovers. Kind of annoying. We are still running XP at my office, but its days are numbered.

Baconator
05-04-2010, 9:14 AM
I like that I can run it, very well, on my little HP netbook. That thing would have exploded if I had tried to put Vista on it.

JDay
05-04-2010, 3:21 PM
Beats the hell out of Vista, but for some reason, IE browser periodically freezes, shuts down and recovers. Kind of annoying. We are still running XP at my office, but its days are numbered.

Don't use IE, its junk.

www.getfirefox.com

Zomgie
05-04-2010, 3:30 PM
I run a Macbook Pro for work, Windows 7 64bit for games and Linux for servers. Taken in that regard, yes, I am very happy with Windows 7 (much more than Vista).

Would I use it for anything other than games? Not a chance.

fdbizzle
05-04-2010, 6:13 PM
Don't use IE, its junk.

www.getfirefox.com

don't use firefox, use chrome! i loves it so!

badandy
05-04-2010, 9:02 PM
Personally felt much better with 7, tested an RC candidate, for several months. Hated Vista, also highly recommend Linux, reality is that you will have to test with Linux to see what works best for you.... I use and prefer Sabayon, with Gnome desktop... each to his own.

davhed
05-05-2010, 1:45 PM

This must be the "chair throwing" edition!

On a serious note, as a 20 year Mac user I can happily say that Windows 7 is pretty freaking sweet. I'm glad to know that Micro$oft has found a glimmer of hope for their OS.

Cyclepath
05-05-2010, 3:33 PM
Windows 7 is by far the best OS MS has released. Next would be WinXP. I am glad the finally got things right after Vista. What a nightmare.

TabooAR
05-05-2010, 4:14 PM
Yes! Got a Dell Studio 17 with Vista about the same time I 'upgraded' my Alienware to Vista Ultimate. The AW didn't last more than a couple days before it went back to XP. The laptop went to the RC as soon as it became available. They are both on 7 enterprise - the AW on x64. SO happy with 7!

I have had some issues with apps supporting x64 but as previously stated VMWare solved that problem.

gunn
05-05-2010, 7:02 PM
Love it!

Finally switched from XP after using it for 6 years.

+1 I haven't upgraded my home PCs yet but I'm using windows on my latest work PC and it's much more stable than XP SP-whatever.

My only complaint was by default, Windows 7 kept dropping these annoying thumbnail system files which wrecked havoc with being able to delete remote directories and close remote connections. A quick registry fix solved that problem but I shouldn't have to look for the fix.

-g

JDay
05-06-2010, 6:48 AM
This must be the "chair throwing" edition!

On a serious note, as a 20 year Mac user I can happily say that Windows 7 is pretty freaking sweet. I'm glad to know that Micro$oft has found a glimmer of hope for their OS.

Its the "developers, developers, developers, developers" edition.

rRm0NDo1CiY

Barabas
05-06-2010, 8:04 AM
Win7U is the only OS from MS that I will install on any machine owned by me. It's the only one that I've decided to pay out of pocket for, instead of using a bulk license from work. The RC convinced me that I couldn't live without it.

My laptop has a valid Vista serial on it, but I wiped it before it first booted thanks to previous poor experience with that bloated junk. It runs various flavors of linux and has an RC partition on it. I'm seriously considering buying another copy of 7U, given how well the RC ran on the "Made for Vista" (lol) hunk of junk, since linux doesn't play well with the wireless card or microphone. My buddy and I bought these laptops together for a project, he did use the Vista install, but the laptop was one of the cheapy Compaq's that were involved in the "Made for Vista" flap several years ago. His machine was constantly rebooting due to overheats and he couldn't run aero. With the RC installed, I was running every option and the laptop was running just 2* warmer than linux.

MichaelKent
05-07-2010, 9:50 AM
From what I've heard, Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista in every category. I've barely used it personally, but people who have it seem to be consistently satisfied with it. So it sounds to me like a keeper.

One of the biggest misconceptions that comes attached with the Mac is that it does not get viruses. This is also enabled by the company and thus plenty of users walk around thinking they are immune when in fact they are not. (iWork 2009 Botnet cough cough)

It all comes down to the fact that malicious people who make the viruses and trojans and what not will choose to make these with the greatest area of damage or effect. They will then choose to target the OS that is more widely used. This leaves everything up to the users to be smart and not be doing things that allow them to be attacked in such a malicious ways.

Well, you're partially right. While there are less viral attacks on the Mac, there are still a whole lot. A girl I dated worked for the DoD Cyber Crimes Center (or something like that) and she only had Apple computers at home. There are apparently more than 60,000 attempted digital attacks on OS X each year, but none of them work. Hackers see it as an untapped, vulnerable market - millions of users who aren't careful online - they actively try to hack OS X, but consistently fail.

The reason, as she explained to me, is that Windows allows any file access to everything (including the system files) whereas OS X has things strictly walled off by category. In OS X a video file is not allowed to access system files wherein Windows XP it could (don't know about W7). Even the user isn't really allowed to mess with Mac system files. Ask a Mac user where their system files are and you'll get a blank, confused look. This security wall is why a Mac user has to input a password to make any tweaks to their preferences and why nothing can install (not even updates from Apple) without a user inputed password.

The reason iWork2009 botnet actually worked was because it tricked the user into allowing it to install. They downloaded pirated software and told OS X "Install this. Here's my password" giving the botnet permission. Even still, the iWork2009 botnet didn't do any real damage.

JDay
05-07-2010, 3:06 PM
The reason, as she explained to me, is that Windows allows any file access to everything (including the system files) whereas OS X has things strictly walled off by category.

This is not true, Windows has had full ACL support since the NTFS file system was introduced. The problem in the past was that the default user was an administrator (same as logging into Linux as root which is a security risk), this has been fixed since Vista with the introduction of UAC. With XP and 2000 all you had to do to fix this was create yourself a new account that had anything other than administrator privileges. Almost nobody ever did this though since it would require them to right click and select "Run As" and then enter an administrative login to get certain programs to run and software to install. This is no different from how Linux, BSD and Mac OS X restrict access, although the ACLs in NTFS are much better than what the other operating systems offer you out of the box.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

INJUNTOM
05-13-2010, 12:47 AM
What is involved in switching over from Vista to 7? DO you have to lose everything?

JDay
05-13-2010, 5:59 AM
What is involved in switching over from Vista to 7? DO you have to lose everything?

You can upgrade right over Vista unless you're trying to install 64bit over 32bit or the other way around. If you do this and have problems with it you should do a clean install.

INJUNTOM
05-13-2010, 9:40 AM
What about if a person were to want to go backwards and put XP on it?

I'm more familiar with XP, and like it better for pictures, etc. on my home computer.

The computer is a Gateway from about a year and a half ago...supposedly one of the better ones, and came with Vista originally..

t0kie
05-13-2010, 10:51 AM
I have 7 Pro in 64Bit & love it!
________
BBW Cam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/bbw/)

ivsamhell
05-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Legacy apps wont run? There's an app for that. However I've yet to run into something that will not run in Windows 7, XP Mode was made so that companies don't have to worry about their in-house stuff breaking, i.e. intranet sites written for older versions of IE. XP Mode will not install on Home Premium.

ETA: With XP Mode you install your apps in the VM and then you can launch them from your Windows 7 start menu on your main desktop, no need to boot the VM. You will need a CPU that supports virtualization for this functionality to work though.

motocross madness 2. I ended up crashing my computer trying to get it to run, took me all day to figure out how to fix it through command prompt. I also have problems with some mp3s as it won't show or allow me to edit the details(that still show up on xp), now I have a big pile of uneditable "unknown" files.

JDay
05-13-2010, 6:07 PM
What about if a person were to want to go backwards and put XP on it?

I'm more familiar with XP, and like it better for pictures, etc. on my home computer.

The computer is a Gateway from about a year and a half ago...supposedly one of the better ones, and came with Vista originally..

Why do that when you can just put XP Mode on there? This is a full copy of XP Pro running in a virtual machine. You can also run your XP apps on your Windows 7 Desktop.

RvUw17BE2A8

9BrhIkDjvQo

JDay
05-13-2010, 6:09 PM
I also have problems with some mp3s as it won't show or allow me to edit the details(that still show up on xp), now I have a big pile of uneditable "unknown" files.

That's because you didn't save the metadata in the files ID3 tag. Whatever program you can see that info in under XP has it saved in a separate database, iTunes does this too and its annoying.

ShootinMedic
05-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Windows 7 is to Vista as Windows XP was to Windows ME

POLICESTATE
05-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Huge improvement over Vista, but still not better than Mac OS, but then that depends on what you use it for.

Bug Splat
05-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Windows 7 is to Vista as Windows XP was to Windows ME

Please don't mention Win-ME. It just gives me the shivers. I'd take Vista any day of the week over a ME box. Now that was a bad OS. At my old company we were dropping hundreds guys back to 98 after nothing but problems with ME. They blue screened at least once a day and there was no fix. Add on the whole Y2K thing too around that time and you had an IT department about to commit mass suicide in the server room. 80 hour work weeks were the norm for many months.

Sinixstar
05-17-2010, 1:05 PM
well, remember, I do this at work so I may be hitting some drivers and stuff that isn't generally used by general population.

I will admit it's been rare...I think M$ learned part of their lesson from Vista. (We couldn't get drivers for love or money...HP springs to mind)

The bigger problem with Vista and Driver support was hardware vendors. None of the hardware vendors thought Microsoft was really going to drop a new OS on schedule, so none of them bothered to really work on new driver support. Microsoft kept saying "this is the day... this is when it's coming... better get your drivers ready...". Nobody did.

Vista is released, and hardware vendors the world over were caught with their pants down. What did they do? Everybody turned around and blamed microsoft.

Biggest bunch of BS I've ever seen. I'm not an MS Fanboy by any stretch of the imagination - but they stand there and take it on the chin for a lot of stuff that isn't their fault. Even the BSOD (blue screen of death) problems in Win98/2k - largely wasn't their fault. Most commonly it was caused by bad video card or audio drivers. Once MS instituted the Logo Testing program for hardware vendors - BSOD faults became a complete non-issue.

Even that became a huge controversy. The reason why the BSOD/Bad Driver problems were an issue in the first place, is Microsoft left the system more open for developers. Developers wrote crappy code that crashed the system - and microsoft gets blamed. Microsoft clamps down and provides a level of protection, and Microsoft gets blamed for trying to restrict developers.

It's a load of crap if you ask me.

But - back the topic at hand - I have no problems with Vista. I have no problems with Win7 either. If you like it, and it works - keep it. If not, look for something else.

As for Apple security....
Apple is built on a unix kernal. In fact, when OSX was first built - it was built on the original BSD kernal from the 70s. So original in fact, that apple didn't even bother to apply basic security patches from the last 30 or so years. The result is that the first OSX macs that were shipped were open to security exploits that had long been thought to be obsolete. Any 10 year old could go online, download a script and root your mac. Granted, apple learned their lesson, and have taken a closer look at security - but this idea that Macs are somehow "inherently immune" to security or virus attacks is downright silly.

Hell - even more recent macs are suspect:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9905095-37.html

2 minutes to hack a macbook air? Sounds like great security to me!

Sinixstar
05-17-2010, 1:13 PM
This is not true, Windows has had full ACL support since the NTFS file system was introduced. The problem in the past was that the default user was an administrator (same as logging into Linux as root which is a security risk), this has been fixed since Vista with the introduction of UAC. With XP and 2000 all you had to do to fix this was create yourself a new account that had anything other than administrator privileges. Almost nobody ever did this though since it would require them to right click and select "Run As" and then enter an administrative login to get certain programs to run and software to install. This is no different from how Linux, BSD and Mac OS X restrict access, although the ACLs in NTFS are much better than what the other operating systems offer you out of the box.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

This.

This is another one of those things that annoys me in criticism of companies as it relates to security. The capability is there for users to protect themselves if they choose to do so.
To tie this into the gun debate - we understand that it's up to the individual to act in a safe and responsible manner when it comes to guns. With that right, comes responsibility. We don't want someone (government) leaning over our shoulders "protecting us".

For me, it's the exact same concept with computers. Apple keeps you in the dark and does everything for you. It protects you from yourself. Microsoft has always tended to error on the side of leaving the system open, and giving the user the option and the power to restrict/control as the user sees fit. I'll take that over Apple's nanny'ing any day of the week.

JDay
05-17-2010, 5:10 PM
The bigger problem with Vista and Driver support was hardware vendors. None of the hardware vendors thought Microsoft was really going to drop a new OS on schedule, so none of them bothered to really work on new driver support. Microsoft kept saying "this is the day... this is when it's coming... better get your drivers ready...". Nobody did.

Vista is released, and hardware vendors the world over were caught with their pants down. What did they do? Everybody turned around and blamed microsoft.

Biggest bunch of BS I've ever seen.

Yep, one of the reasons people haven't had any issues with Windows 7 is because it uses the same driver model as Vista. This meant that if your hardware had Vista drivers it would already work in Windows 7.

CSDGuy
05-17-2010, 6:09 PM
I also use Win7 Ultimate at home. While I prefer Mac, I had to bow to SWMBO's wishes... she likes windows... so now all our machines at home run that. I did have Vista on the machines just prior to the upgrade, and I have to say, the upgrade was pretty easy, considering that it was Vista 32bit to Win7 32bit. Will I go 64 bit in the future? Yes. Next machine that I build from scratch. I stuck with 32bit simply because I didn't want to have to reinstall EVERYTHING on the computer.

I think I've had (quite literally) one BSOD and a few instances of the system being unresponsive, but it's a far cry from what XP did...

den888
05-21-2010, 5:11 PM
I'm still on XP and Vista on my machines, so no opinion of Windows 7 yet. If my OS are stable, I leave them.

groats
05-23-2010, 7:43 AM
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me 5 or 6 times, you must be Bill Gates.

Windows 7 is better than Vista, just like
getting beaten with a small stick is better than getting beaten with a big one.

Being willing to pay to get hit over the head repeatedly - well, what can one say about that?

TonyM
05-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Being willing to pay to get hit over the head repeatedly - well, what can one say about that?

Sounds like the Apple upgrade plan to me. :D

JDay
05-24-2010, 4:24 PM
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me 5 or 6 times, you must be Bill Gates.

Windows 7 is better than Vista, just like
getting beaten with a small stick is better than getting beaten with a big one.

The only real problem Vista had was a lack of hardware drivers, which is hardly the fault of Microsoft. Windows 7 uses the exact same driver model as Vista and since most newer hardware had Vista drivers by the time Windows 7 was released there was no problem. Then there were also all the OEMs that sold "Vista Capable" systems that you couldn't even install the OS onto. UAC was my only real gripe with Vista.

JDay
05-24-2010, 4:28 PM
Sounds like the Apple upgrade plan to me. :D

Its funny how the Apple fan boys are more than willing to pay money for what amounts an OS X service pack (e.g. 10.2 -> 10.3) but if Microsoft were to pull that crap everyone would be screaming bloody murder.

eXcision
05-24-2010, 6:26 PM
Windows 7 looks very VERY good. As far as it actually being reliable with programs and drivers etc. I'd say windows XP still > 7

I'm happy with my windows 7 though, A couple of nVidia crashes and Razer problems wouldn't make me go back to XP =D!

five.five-six
05-24-2010, 7:11 PM
Its funny how the Apple fan boys are more than willing to pay money for what amounts an OS X service pack (e.g. 10.2 -> 10.3) but if Microsoft were to pull that crap everyone would be screaming bloody murder.

snow leppard anyone?

LMMFAO

Sinixstar
05-25-2010, 10:25 AM
I also use Win7 Ultimate at home. While I prefer Mac, I had to bow to SWMBO's wishes... she likes windows... so now all our machines at home run that. I did have Vista on the machines just prior to the upgrade, and I have to say, the upgrade was pretty easy, considering that it was Vista 32bit to Win7 32bit. Will I go 64 bit in the future? Yes. Next machine that I build from scratch. I stuck with 32bit simply because I didn't want to have to reinstall EVERYTHING on the computer.

I think I've had (quite literally) one BSOD and a few instances of the system being unresponsive, but it's a far cry from what XP did...

If these are home built machines you're getting BSOD on - i'd take a real hard look at your hardware configuration. BSODs are extremely rare these days, and almost always tied to hardware compatibility issues. Even in XP they were pretty uncommon, and mostly had to do with badly written drivers...

doubledgarage
05-25-2010, 12:04 PM
The only Microsoft I hated was Windows Me. Been using Microsoft OS's since DOS 5.x (and 3.x, NT 4, etc...).

five.five-six
06-19-2010, 10:59 PM
OK, now I hate it, I can see all the puters and NAS on my network, but I can't get on the interweb... I get an error 651

Rhythm of Life
06-19-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't have any issues with 7, Vista would break every boot though...

don't use firefox, use chrome! i loves it so!

Google loves you too. Your giving them free market research.

bombadillo
06-20-2010, 10:48 PM

Wow, man back from the dead Huh?? I wondered if you got the ban hammer or where you'd been lately.

Sorry for the random thread interjection.

locosway
06-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Where's the Linux option in the poll?

Vash357
06-26-2010, 4:21 PM
The only real problem Vista had was a lack of hardware drivers, which is hardly the fault of Microsoft. Windows 7 uses the exact same driver model as Vista and since most newer hardware had Vista drivers by the time Windows 7 was released there was no problem. Then there were also all the OEMs that sold "Vista Capable" systems that you couldn't even install the OS onto. UAC was my only real gripe with Vista.

THIS! 90% of the problems I've seen with vista were in the first 6 months or so when no one had drivers for it. This problem has gone away a long time ago. I have 2 machines running vista, one 64 bit, the other 32 bit. I've had them for a little over 2 years, and I've had none of these "horrible problems" people seem to keep going on about. It had a really poor launch due to hardware vendors not having their **** together, and that reputation has caused people to blame any issues they have on the OS. Any issues people have that are legitimately a problem with the OS are more than likely going to have issues with Windows 7 as well because Win 7 is built from the same basic platform as Vista, in the same way that Win XP was built from a similar platform to Win 2000.

UAC is an annoying feature in Vista and it's still there in Win7.

There's also some networking concerns with Vista/Win7 and XP machines as well. Sometimes an XP machine trying to access files shared on a Vista or Win7 machine will get a permissions error no matter what the share permissions are, and the fix is the same for both operating systems. I'd been trying to figure it out on my own Vista machines for awhile and had given up on it till we sold a Win7 machine to a customer that was having this issue and I finally figured out what it was, fixed it on their win7 machine, came home and fixed my Vista machine. The two OSes are extremely similar in my experience.

Sorry for the rant, but I get asked about this daily, lol.

danito
07-13-2010, 9:39 PM
The more I use it, the more I like it. All our a new workstation deployments are Windows 7 professional

FluorideInMyWater
07-16-2010, 5:27 PM
i upgraded from vista about 1 year ago. other than taking a few weeks to see where everything was moved to for the normal location everything was cool. it is the most solid OS they have come out w/ since 98se

JDay
07-18-2010, 12:02 AM
i upgraded from vista about 1 year ago. other than taking a few weeks to see where everything was moved to for the normal location everything was cool.

Just type what you're looking for into the start menu, no need to look for anything.