PDA

View Full Version : home invasions in the SFV

Shady
04-27-2010, 7:38 PM
my wife called me yesterday ,
she told me a rough looking african american man knocked on
the door , she smartly grabbed my bersa 380 and answered the door
he told her he was selling something (even tho he had nothing with him)
and asked her if anyone else was home that would maybe want to buy it .
and then asked for water and where he could find something to eat
she told him she was armed and pointed out the security cameras around my house

he left nervously.

today I called the local police station today and told them about it
they said that they wanted a copy of my security tapes

he then told me a group of 4 african americans have been doing home invasions all over woodland hills , northridge and porter ranch
brazenly during the day mostly ignoring people watching
they have hit some houses repeatedly

I put a no soliciting sign on my door and told my wife to
grab my 1911 next time someone knocks , not the 380

anyway I just wanted to warn any local calgunners

Paul E
04-27-2010, 7:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Ding126
04-27-2010, 7:43 PM
Thanks for the info..but would / might be better in the general section and not here

Peter W Bush
04-27-2010, 7:47 PM
Wow I live in woodland hills. I think me and the AR15 will be answering the door more often.

wjc
04-27-2010, 7:53 PM
wow, your description threw up a whole bunch red flags for me! I hope the
cops get them.

Silverlake223
04-27-2010, 7:55 PM
Actually, I have been more and more concerned about crime in the LA area lately. Daylight shootings, hot prowl robberies etc The thin blue line is getting thinner around here, and I think the bad guys know that!

SkyStorm82
04-27-2010, 7:59 PM
Think about having your wife tell them to kick rocks through the locked door instead of opening the door to tell them that.

Kendo671
04-27-2010, 8:18 PM
Hey i'm glad your wife and family is okay. Greatjob shaddyjeff's wife for being cognizant. Yes 1911 would be a great choice, grabbing the 380 on her behalf is better than nothing.

CCWFacts
04-27-2010, 8:55 PM
Wow, that's scary.

This pattern of going to the door as a "salesman" is a well-known "interview" method. They go in the daytime when it's more likely that there's a single woman by herself at home. They'll also try things like "let me clean your carpet" and so on.

If anything seems wrong, don't answer, and have a "warm welcome" ready.

I live in a good area of town and even so they have daytime robberies sometimes with some regularity. My area here has a fantastically awesome police force but it also has a lot of totally unarmed, unprepared houses with nice things in them and with no man around during the daytime, so I guess it's a mixed bag for would-be robbers.

Blackhawk556
04-27-2010, 8:59 PM
glad she grabbed the hardware

I doubt you'll get anymore "sales" pitches from him anymore :)

1 SIG fan
04-27-2010, 9:17 PM
I'm in Encino. My house was broken into about 8 weeks ago, WHILE I was home. Heard the blinds rustle from the Sanata Anas... Then realized it wasn't windy. Walked around the corner, 1 mexican guy standing in my kitchen opening the slider to let another in. less then 10' away, we had a 60sec stand off before I yelled and they took off and scaled a 6' ally fece like it was a curb. They had pulled out a window screen. If I handn't of surprised them they might of cornered me... No time to grab a pistol as they were between me and my normal spot scared the **** out of me. No time to grab a pistol as they were between me and my normal spot. Cops took 150min to respond. I called 911 3times. .

Cops said it's happenig SO MUCH right now. In a small area between 405 to reseda, Ventura to Sherman Way they're seeing 45+ break-ins a month.

The black guys (same group) are knocking on doors to see if anyones home. If not, they go around back. The mexicans just seem to go for it; I had cars in the driveway, they don't bother to check.

I'm not racist. There are groups and this is their MO.

House is now alarmed 24x7 +.... it SUCKS ***, I can't get out of the valley fast enough!

gazzavc
04-27-2010, 9:24 PM
Can you give us the approximate cross streets where this happened. We're in Woodland Hills, and I'd like to get this info to my neighbourhood watch group,

Gary

bernieb90
04-27-2010, 9:26 PM
But, but, but crime is at an all time low according to LAPD. Seriously though thanks for the heads up as well. I tell my wife that whatever they are selling we don't need it, and to never open the door unless it is someone we know. You can never be to careful.

Some people also make the mistake of leaving their blinds open for all the world to see what goodies they have inside. Happened a few houses over from my inlaws in North Hills. The guy had a plasma TV stolen and a bunch of other stuff. They pulled in during the day with a van looking like repair guys. I hate to say it, but layered security is still your best bet. Gates, bars, alarms, big dogs, and finally fireams. It makes you feel like a prisoner in your own home, but there is not much you can do other than move. Be safe guys.

762MikeMike
04-27-2010, 9:59 PM
I am glad that your wife isn't afraid to grab a firearm to defend herself, but she should still be cautious about opening the door even with a firearm (assuming this because you said she pointed to the camera for him). Since you mentioned having a security cam good job to both of you for creating more layers of security for your home and family.

Falstaff
04-27-2010, 10:07 PM
While an undergrad at UCSD, this ole N. Cal farm boy just outta the Army brought his Browning A5 (for the dove season in AZ) and a couple other crappy guns with me. When I moved off campus to a 4 bedroom condo in La Jolla (with 5 other guys) I thought, "great, I can keep my guns at home now!" ehhh wrong, some of my roomates were anti-gun and didnt feel safe with weapons in the house. OK, fine, back to the storage place... Until, the home invasion robbery next door! 4 students were tied up with electrical cord, beaten and robbed. I **it you not, all my roomates then decided it was ok for me to go ahead and bring my guns back after that.. Funny thing is- our place shared a party wall with the unit that was robbed, I was home and didnt hear a thing....

This was 1987. I wouldnt even consider being unarmed anywhere in socal now...

My next door neighbor's a cop in a big SF Bay Area town, he says things are getting "bad, real bad out there"... Watch yer six people and get those women trained if they're gonna be armed. FWIW, I was AMAZED at the proficiency competence and comfort gained by women at Front Sight...Well worth it IMO....

LA Copper
04-27-2010, 11:19 PM
This is my first post, just joined today. I am an actual LAPD cop and work the SF Valley in some of the areas mentioned in this thread.

To the person who noted that it took LAPD 150 minutes to respond...yeah that sounds about right. It stinks, but it's the reality. The fact is if the people who broke into your home are no longer there, there isn't a whole lot we can do as far as catching them, and your call gets bumped down on the priority list. I'd love to be able to tell you that we send every car in the area and conduct a grid search, but if they're in the wind, they're in the wind. We don't have the resources to do that sort of tracking. Of course we call for print investigators, but with budget cuts it may be a while before they can get to you. When you call 911, it unfortunately isn't first come, first served. Available units are dispatched by priority, and a burglary report isn't going to get an immediate response unless it's currently in progress.

HOWEVER, if you call and say that someone is OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE RIGHT NOW, you'll likely get a code 3 (lights and sirens) response from one or more patrol units. If someone is INSIDE your house RIGHT NOW, the whole goddang division is going to show up and try to catch the creeps.

Here's some friendly advice. If you keep a firearm for personal defense, good for you! Make sure you have proper training, blah blah blah, you know the drill. If you call the police and choose to remain armed, let the dispatcher know who you are and what you look like. We coppers tend to get very antsy when we see strangers with guns, and we don't want to shoot the good guy.

graniteob
04-28-2010, 12:49 AM
I had a guy like this come to my door a couple weeks back. A total dirtbag tweeker with a weak story about selling magazines. Told him to read my no solicitors sign and that it was time to move along. He tried to get an attitude until I said I was going to call the sheriff. You never open the door if you feel weird about the person on the other side. Even if you are armed. My dad taught us to stand away from the door with our weapon ready in case they tried to kick it in. You really have no idea what this person is capable of or what their state of mind is.

goathead
04-28-2010, 1:06 AM
good looking out for sure and good heads up by your wife

Big Jake
04-28-2010, 6:26 AM
Glad it worked out and your wife is ok. Good lesson learned here!

amd64
04-28-2010, 6:51 AM
You never open the door if you feel weird about the person on the other side. Even if you are armed. My dad taught us to stand away from the door with our weapon ready in case they tried to kick it in. You really have no idea what this person is capable of or what their state of mind is.

This. And where there's one visible dirtbag, there usually are more that aren't visible.

No one in my household is permitted to respond to strangers at the door.

Untamed1972
04-28-2010, 7:07 AM
My question......why did she answer the door at all. At most I would have spoken to the person THRU the door.

You should never let the having of a gun to allow you to feel free/safe to do something you wouldn't think of doing w/o it.

Since your wife was kind enough to inform them there are guns in the house. They might just decide to come back sometime when you're not there and see about helping themselves to your weapons.

97F1504RAD
04-28-2010, 7:11 AM
Glad things worked out OK.

But I have some advise. Do Not open the door to anyone you do not know.

You can knock and ring the bell at my home all you want, but if I do not know you I am not answering the door period.

limitdown
04-28-2010, 7:11 AM
More people need to know about the realities.

My wife is now proficient with my Glock 19 and 1911
She's good with them at the range.......but not sure if she's ready to actually shoot a person....

Packy14
04-28-2010, 7:24 AM
About once a week suspicious people show up @ my house to sell various garbage... I usually make like i'm not home, but if I answer I do so through the door, and am prepared to stop them if they decide my house is a good house to break into.

Full Clip
04-28-2010, 7:39 AM
I live in Burbank and work at home, so I'm pretty in-tune with the amount of foot traffic on my street on an average day.
Over the past few months I've notices a distinct rise in the number of door-to-door-type "sales" people. Some are clearly legit, just trying to make a living. But I suspect some are bad guys either looking for an empty house or probing to see "what's up."
Fortunately for me I'm 6', 210, and I keep my XD45 pretty damn close.
I really hope nobody makes the mistake of thinking they want to make an unannounced visit, because they won't like what they find here.
As for LAPD response times ("when seconds count, they'll be there in minutes"), I'm just glad the Burbank PD doesn't have as much to do on any given day.

Snaps
04-28-2010, 7:43 AM
I live in Winnetka and the same thing happened at my house about a month ago. A young African American knocked on my door trying to sell magazines, but my dog went nuts and I answered the door holding his collar.

The guy asked "Is he nice?" to which I replied "He can be..." to which the kid got nervous and ended up leaving. Less then a week later my next door neighbor's house was ransacked completely. From paperwork in cabinets to the garage, everything was flipped.

Their teenage daughter came home from school with her friend to find the house wrecked and came over crying and wondering if I heard anything. I was flabbergasted that I hadn't. My stepfather had been home all day and I came home before he left, neither of us heard them ransacking the house and apparently from the damage they had been at it for hours.

It's been about a month now and they have since installed a home security system, but I feel your anxiety about the current situation and have been on high alert for a bit now.

Serpentine
04-28-2010, 7:51 AM
We don't answer the door to anyone unless we know they are coming by invitation or request.

A few good deterrents stopped solicitors from coming to our door completely. I've seen them come up the walkway from my upstairs office, then never knock, then go to my neighbors house instead. Why?

1. I put the largest dog food bowls on my front and back porch and make them look like they get used regularly.

2. I went to my local surplus store and bought several pairs of the oldest, largest used USGI boots and placed several pair on the front and back porch.

These solicitors ignore alarm systems and signs because they know the cops won't be there for at least 30 minutes (on Saturday nights they may not come at all!). What 'solicitors' don't like is anything to do with on-site large breed dogs or anything military looking.

If you are expecting visitors, just put the dog bowls and boots away in the garage until your guest have left.

Note: Many of these solicitors come from inner city parolee/rehabilitation 'work furlough programs.' It's very likely they know how to take your gun away from you faster than you can react and then use it on you!

GoodEyeSniper
04-28-2010, 8:42 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to train my parents to not be so nice and trusting, haha. At our old place, both neighbors on either side of us were involved with home invasions, both times they were home and the group of guys didn't care. They were all quite old, though.

Basically a couple Mexican guys at the door, asking if they needed any work done in their yard or the house, speaking broken english. Then they slowly try to weasel their way inside, once inside they just started grabbing jewelry, electronics, and basically ignored the terrified neighbors.

My parents are only a few years away from being those defenseless old people, heh. We've since moved to another, nicer neighborhood, but the old one was nice too.

daveinwoodland
04-28-2010, 8:48 AM
This thread reminds me of that quote "When seconds count on your life and the Police are only minutes away"

CSACANNONEER
04-28-2010, 9:13 AM
At my old place in Thousand Oaks, there were a couple of times that I saw dirtbags going door to door. The ones that were legit, had ID around their necks. The ones I knew were trouble would not even stop at my house if they saw me outside. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about that anymore. If I get a door to door salesman where I am now, the first thing he will se is a muzzle and he won't be allowed to leave until the LASD shows up. That would be at least an hour of waiting face down, in the hot sun.

winnre
04-28-2010, 9:29 AM
Same thing in Westminster. A teenage boy goes door to door selling stuff that he does not have in hand. My friend wanted to figure this out so she followed him. He skipped the houses and went to a parked car and got in with an adult driver present. They drove off but she got the license number.

She called the cops to report it, they said someone would be right out, no one ever came out.

winnre
04-28-2010, 9:30 AM
ID around necks? Anyone with a computer can do that! Also don't fall for them having a hardhat and a clipboard.

nick
04-28-2010, 9:43 AM
Same thing in Westminster. A teenage boy goes door to door selling stuff that he does not have in hand. My friend wanted to figure this out so she followed him. He skipped the houses and went to a parked car and got in with an adult driver present. They drove off but she got the license number.

She called the cops to report it, they said someone would be right out, no one ever came out.

Had something like that in Santa Monica, only it was a "school charity". Called SMPD, they sent a car to look around for the boy (about 10-11), and asked me to call them sooner next time, and possibly delay him, so that they can get there on time next time. Good response.

Serpentine
04-28-2010, 9:55 AM
ID around necks? Anyone with a computer can do that! Also don't fall for them having a hardhat and a clipboard.

The Mexican drug cartels can and have cloned the US Border Patrol vehicles and have driven right through the US heavily guarded entry checkpoints with guns, drugs, cash, etc.

More and more you are hearing about bad guys dressed in police uniforms, mail delivery and courier uniforms, and badges that can be purchased over the Internet. It makes good sense to be on the alert more than ever. One can always pick up their packages at the local post office or UPS depot with the door tag and ID.

One time when I was in college, a guy came to my door in the middle of the night yelling to open the door or he'll kick it in. I said nothing, called 911, got my handgun, and took cover where I could see the whole living room and front door. The guy climbed over the stair well and on to my deck where I had some of those big cinder blocks supporting my BBQ stand. He grabbed one and threatened to smash through the sliding glass door and "kill" me. I yelled at him and said "if you smash through that window, you'll meet me with my gun inside." He jumped off the balcony and ran into the carport area. It was later discovered he was high on drugs and alcohol, had been to a party with his girlfriend, and some other guy left with his girlfriend. He had the right apartment number, but the wrong building!

I answer the door for no one unless I am expecting a visitor. Even then, my boxer is by my side at the least, and 90% of the time there's a handgun in my holster.

CSACANNONEER
04-28-2010, 10:07 AM

Sure they can. But, most BGs are too lazy to even find out what kind of permits are involved in each city. Why should they even worry about it. Most people don't look for those details anyways.

I do all sorts of things just wearing a safety vest and carrying a radio and clipboard. It amazes me how much I can do without being questioned.

ojisan
04-28-2010, 10:14 AM
A "magazine salesman" (looked like a gang-banger) came to my house mid-week / daytime about two months ago, I was working in my front yard.
I saw him before he saw me, I could tell he was not from our area, he realized I was watching him walking our street and looking at the houses, so he came over to me.
He had a crumpled up, folded and very used piece of glossy colored paper in his hand that looked like it had been torn out of a magazine.
He said he was selling magazine subscriptions for school and would I like to buy any?
I played the game and said "Sure, I'm always happy to help out, where's the order form?"
He started going duhhhhh....
I asked him for his school ID.
He said he "didn't have it with him".
I asked him for his personal ID so I would know who I gave magazine money to.
He "didn't have that with me" either.
I looked him in the eyes and asked him why I would give money to someone with no ID or order forms.
He got very nervous at my questioning, perhaps added to because many people tell me I look like a cop, and I was playing it up.
He then said he had to leave right away to catch a ride.
He hurried away down the street and out of sight around the corner.

Yup, the bad guys are going to the nicer neighborhoods where the pickings are better.

Keep your eyes open and your guard up.

Fate
04-28-2010, 10:14 AM
This is my first post, just joined today. I am an actual LAPD cop and work the SF Valley in some of the areas mentioned in this thread.

To the person who noted that it took LAPD 150 minutes to respond...yeah that sounds about right. It stinks, but it's the reality. The fact is if the people who broke into your home are no longer there, there isn't a whole lot we can do as far as catching them, and your call gets bumped down on the priority list. I'd love to be able to tell you that we send every car in the area and conduct a grid search, but if they're in the wind, they're in the wind. We don't have the resources to do that sort of tracking. Of course we call for print investigators, but with budget cuts it may be a while before they can get to you. When you call 911, it unfortunately isn't first come, first served. Available units are dispatched by priority, and a burglary report isn't going to get an immediate response unless it's currently in progress.

HOWEVER, if you call and say that someone is OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE RIGHT NOW, you'll likely get a code 3 (lights and sirens) response from one or more patrol units. If someone is INSIDE your house RIGHT NOW, the whole goddang division is going to show up and try to catch the creeps.

Here's some friendly advice. If you keep a firearm for personal defense, good for you! Make sure you have proper training, blah blah blah, you know the drill. If you call the police and choose to remain armed, let the dispatcher know who you are and what you look like. We coppers tend to get very antsy when we see strangers with guns, and we don't want to shoot the good guy.

Nice first post. Welcome to CalGuns!

Dr Rockso
04-28-2010, 10:19 AM

Welcome to Calguns. I'm of the opinion that we'd have a lot fewer anti-gun folks in urban areas if they spent a couple evenings listening to the police radio traffic in their city. SJPD stays plenty busy most nights, and I'll bet LA is a lot worse.

rod
04-28-2010, 10:20 AM

Welcome to Calguns. Thank you for your honest reply. I think most people realize the reasons you can't get an immedient response from the police, but it's still frustrating. Thank you for what you do and stay safe out there.

Decoligny
04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm in Encino. My house was broken into about 8 weeks ago, WHILE I was home. Heard the blinds rustle from the Sanata Anas... Then realized it wasn't windy. Walked around the corner, 1 mexican guy standing in my kitchen opening the slider to let another in. less then 10' away, we had a 60sec stand off before I yelled and they took off and scaled a 6' ally fece like it was a curb. They had pulled out a window screen. If I handn't of surprised them they might of cornered me... No time to grab a pistol as they were between me and my normal spot scared the **** out of me. No time to grab a pistol as they were between me and my normal spot. Cops took 150min to respond. I called 911 3times.

Cops said it's happenig SO MUCH right now. In a small area between 405 to reseda, Ventura to Sherman Way they're seeing 45+ break-ins a month.

The black guys (same group) are knocking on doors to see if anyones home. If not, they go around back. The mexicans just seem to go for it; I had cars in the driveway, they don't bother to check.

House is now alarmed 24x7 +.... it SUCKS ***, I can't get out of the valley fast enough!

No way anyone breaking into my house is going to get between by hip and my gun. Not enough room, and I would see them coming.

Another good reason to CARRY a gun at home.

GuyW
04-28-2010, 10:34 AM

Welcome.

bodger
04-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Welcome to CalGuns. Thanks for the info. I'm down in Hollywood and friendly with the LAPD officers around here. They too are stretched thin these days.

Be safe Bro'.

rysmithjr
04-28-2010, 11:32 AM
My dog in the front yard alerted me about some suspicious behaviour 2 nights ago. I went out to see what was bothering her and found 2 guys at the passenger door of a car across the street and another guy circling the street on a bicycle. I went inside and called LAPD, 2 cars arrived in 10 minutes and caught 2 of the guys. Turns out the bike one was riding had been stolen a couple hours previous from a girl on the street a couple miles away.

My dog got a big meaty bone yesterday.

Glock22Fan
04-28-2010, 12:17 PM
No way anyone breaking into my house is going to get between by hip and my gun. Not enough room, and I would see them coming.

Another good reason to CARRY a gun at home.

Me too. Either my G22 is on my hip, in my hand (bootlegger draw) or I'm in bed or the shower with it within reach.

Out here we are pretty rural. Five or ten acre lots, many of them undeveloped. Nearest neighbor several hundred yards away. We have heard there is a group of three or four adolescents going around in the daytime looking for unoccupied houses. They killed one dog with a shovel.

1 SIG fan
04-28-2010, 12:18 PM

Perps were in the house with me. I called 911 as I was chasing them out. Give desc. and direction of travel while on the phone. The dispatch F'd up. it should of been code 3. Responding officers were VERY nice and appologitic. they bailed on my call for a house alarm then finally made it to me. Dispatch F'd it up.

911 is VERY frustrating. as I'm giving the info to them, they transfer me to ( i assume) a local PD dispatch while I'll have to give them all info again. It's hard to give once, even harder to give twice under distress.

Btw, Welcome to the Forums. Thanks for what you do. PLEASE catch those SOB's. :)

Rock_Islander
04-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm within arms reach of my trusty ol' 1911 every night when I come home.

And if you live in a nice area, I think you're even MORE subject to being targeted for your goods. I've always said, what are people going to find if they break into a house in the ghetto? A dirty microwave and ripped up couch. A TV from the 80s, and the nastiest dirtiest carpets you'll ever walk on.

If you go to a house in a nice area, what do you find? Flat screen plasmas and LCD TVs, electronics that are worth lots of cash, important documents, jewelry, cash laying around, THINGS OF WORTH BASICALLY.

If you live in a nice area, you better be aware that your home is your castle, but some marauding goon(s) may be able to breach your castle. At which point you must draw your sword(s) and defend it.

Shady
04-28-2010, 12:34 PM
why is it that GB lets people sell police badges
I would think that they would be something that is a nono to sell

IGOTDIRT4U
04-28-2010, 12:40 PM

he left nervously.

he then told me a group of 4 african americans have been doing home invasions all over woodland hills , northridge and porter ranch

Saw a quick blurb about the SFV increase in home robberies on the news. This type of thing happens everytime the economy gets bad, and even though it is less common in better times, seems to run in batches.

HotRails
04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm within arms reach of my trusty ol' 1911 every night when I come home.

And if you live in a nice area, I think you're even MORE subject to being targeted for your goods. I've always said, what are people going to find if they break into a house in the ghetto? A dirty microwave and ripped up couch. A TV from the 80s, and the nastiest dirtiest carpets you'll ever walk on.

If you go to a house in a nice area, what do you find? Flat screen plasmas and LCD TVs, electronics that are worth lots of cash, important documents, jewelry, cash laying around, THINGS OF WORTH BASICALLY.

If you live in a nice area, you better be aware that your home is your castle, but some marauding goon(s) may be able to breach your castle. At which point you must draw your sword(s) and defend it.

Exactly. Was jumped by gang members very close to Beverly Hills Area. These people have cars and will travel.

winnre
04-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Wanna keep the guy out of your area? Pick up your cell phone and take a picture of the twerp!

xbolt338
04-28-2010, 1:18 PM
one lazy Sunday morning at a friend's house in San Jose, guy come's to the door saying he is selling pizzas. he didn't have any pizza to sell., left real quick with my buddy and I standing at the door.

$P-Ritch$
04-28-2010, 1:21 PM
Wow, that's scary.

This pattern of going to the door as a "salesman" is a well-known "interview" method. They go in the daytime when it's more likely that there's a single woman by herself at home. They'll also try things like "let me clean your carpet" and so on.

If anything seems wrong, don't answer, and have a "warm welcome" ready.

I live in a good area of town and even so they have daytime robberies sometimes with some regularity. My area here has a fantastically awesome police force but it also has a lot of totally unarmed, unprepared houses with nice things in them and with no man around during the daytime, so I guess it's a mixed bag for would-be robbers.

This happened at my apartment just two days ago. Some younger girl said she would like to clean the carpet for free for some type of school credits or something like that. She claimed it would only take 20 mins. It seemed really strange so I declined. Then I went to take the garbage out about an 1 hour later and saw her and two guys just hanging out in a van in the parking lot. I didn't think much of it until I read that, I guess you can never be too cautious.

btw, usually I'll have my G19 in hand if I'm not expecting any company, didn't this time though (shame on me). Also, if I do answer the door for a stranger I only open it a crack to talk through. I then keep my foot planted firmly behind the door as well in case they try to rush in. This also helps conceal that you have a firearm in your free hand.

Shady
04-28-2010, 1:23 PM
we have 12 IR security cameras on our property
and there is always someone home and lots of cars

POLICESTATE
04-28-2010, 1:29 PM
I applaud your honesty, I wish more of LEO leadership would be more forthcoming with the realities, challenges and limitations of crime and policing in our current times. :thumbsup:

odysseus
04-28-2010, 1:35 PM
Also, if I do answer the door for a stranger I only open it a crack to talk through. I then keep my foot planted firmly behind the door as well in case they try to rush in. This also helps conceal that you have a firearm in your free hand.

Still less than optimal. If I and also wife are not expecting the person, the door is never opened, period. I will talk from behind the door through a window slot. Sometimes, I might not even talk and they will just see an obscured person standing there watching them. Sometimes, that sends a much better message. We very rarely get any door-to-door calls anyway. It is very unusual in nature and sets the dog agitated.

I would have actually sectioned off and gated even the access to the door so you can't even walk up there, but my wife is strongly opposed to it as a hassle and not the "look" she wants for curb appeal. :o Married life. :)

At multiple places in the house are panic buttons, and of course access to arms. Just press, get armed, and get into the "safe zone". It's just a fact of life, I am not paranoid, just prepared - gives me better peace of mind for the family too.

Don't open the door for anyone untrusted.

Also - keep your situational awareness UP when coming to and from home. "Home invasions" also happen when you are weak. A lot of people simply go into a zone and are not paying attention, and some criminals take advantage of that.

Baxter
04-28-2010, 1:35 PM
I am glad I live in crappy neighborhood. Nothing like un trimmed lawn , barking dogs and a 60s truck in the driveway that says a gun lives here.

beerup949
04-28-2010, 1:39 PM
+ 1 on the carpet cleaning people. Young black female and she left with 2 black males in a beat up van. I'm nervous for my wife being home alone with 2 kids.

socalblue
Wanna keep the guy out of your area? Pick up your cell phone and take a picture of the twerp!

Careful with that. With bangers or taggers that can result in an instant escalation of violence.

Havoc70
When I got out of the air force in the '90s I was staying with my grandmother while finishing school. We were in the back room when I heard someone banging on the door. I grabbed my Glock and got to the front room right when someone kicked it in.

His first sight was my 6'10" 300 pound self presenting the business end of a Glock. He beat a hasty retreat. My grandma really didn't like me having guns in the house, but after that she was more than OK with it.

Now, living in Vallejo my girl gets a chuckle as when we get home, I disarm the alarm, go to the lock box, pull out my Sig and keep it near me at all times.

$P-Ritch$
04-28-2010, 1:41 PM
Still less than optimal. If I and also wife are not expecting the person, the door is never opened, period. I will talk from behind the door through a window slot. Sometimes, I might not even talk and they will just see an obscured person standing there watching them. Sometimes, that sends a much better message.

I would have actually sectioned off and gated even the access to the door so you can't even walk up there, but my wife is strongly opposed to it as a hassle and not the "look" she wants for curb appeal. :o Married life. :)

At multiple places in the house are panic buttons, and of course access to arms. Just press, get armed, and get into the "safe zone". It's just a fact of life, I am not paranoid, just prepared - gives me better peace of mind for the family too.

Don't open the door for anyone untrusted.

Also - keep your situational awareness UP when coming to and from home. "Home invasions" also happen when you are weak. A lot of people simply go into a zone and are not paying attention, and some criminals take advantage of that.

+1 good points, I honestly never thought too much about it until now. Will definitely be doing things differently in the event of future occurences.

odysseus
04-28-2010, 1:42 PM
+ 1 on the carpet cleaning people. Young black female and she left with 2 black males in a beat up van. I'm nervous for my wife being home alone with 2 kids.

I assume you didn't intend it, but don't let race fool you, plenty of strong armed robberies committed by caucasians too.

$P-Ritch$
04-28-2010, 1:43 PM
When I got out of the air force in the '90s I was staying with my grandmother while finishing school. We were in the back room when I heard someone banging on the door. I grabbed my Glock and got to the front room right when someone kicked it in.

His first sight was my 6'10" 300 pound self presenting the business end of a Glock. He beat a hasty retreat. My grandma really didn't like me having guns in the house, but after that she was more than OK with it.

Now, living in Vallejo my girl gets a chuckle as when we get home, I disarm the alarm, go to the lock box, pull out my Sig and keep it near me at all times.

6'10" 300lbs! You wouldn't even need the glock to scare my 5'7" 150 lbs self.:o

Decoligny
04-28-2010, 1:44 PM
This happened at my apartment just two days ago. Some younger girl said she would like to clean the carpet for free for some type of school credits or something like that. She claimed it would only take 20 mins. It seemed really strange so I declined. Then I went to take the garbage out about an 1 hour later and saw her and two guys just hanging out in a van in the parking lot. I didn't think much of it until I read that, I guess you can never be too cautious.

btw, usually I'll have my G19 in hand if I'm not expecting any company, didn't this time though (shame on me). Also, if I do answer the door for a stranger I only open it a crack to talk through. I then keep my foot planted firmly behind the door as well in case they try to rush in. This also helps conceal that you have a firearm in your free hand.

If someone wants to do a home invasion, they don't have to wait until the door is opened. They wait until they see the doorknob being turned. Then they kick the door just as the door is ready to be opened. The person on the other side will be hit by the door and may be knocked down by the force of the door hitting them.

winnre
04-28-2010, 1:47 PM
My grandma really didn't like me having guns in the house, but after that she was more than OK with it.

What is it they say... "a liberal is a conservative who hasn't been robbed yet."

Spyduh
04-28-2010, 1:50 PM
This reminds me a few months ago when a young kid (14) came by my door (around 3pm). Said he was selling something for school to raise funds. He was at the other end of the fence and I was at my door (20 feet away). Didn't have my gun in close reach, but the situation just seemed off and I noticed he didn't have anything in his hands to sell. He took off pretty quick when I said not interested. After he left, I went to get my pistol and kept it by my side the whole day. I live in a decent area and you just never know who's going to drop by at any time. Things like that make me want to have a pistol in my hand the whole time around the house, but then I feel like i'm at a level 1 threat level. I want to be able to relax and not have to feel like that at home. What can you do...

apes
04-28-2010, 1:53 PM
It is a sad state of affairs when you have to pack a gun from room to room in your own house. I suspect some white body outline paint in the front driveway might be a deterant....

$P-Ritch$
04-28-2010, 1:54 PM
If someone wants to do a home invasion, they don't have to wait until the door is opened. They wait until they see the doorknob being turned. Then they kick the door just as the door is ready to be opened. The person on the other side will be hit by the door and may be knocked down by the force of the door hitting them.

Once again, good point. I am as of now changing my stranger at the door sops;).

nick
04-28-2010, 1:55 PM
Perps were in the house with me. I called 911 as I was chasing them out. Give desc. and direction of travel while on the phone. The dispatch F'd up. it should of been code 3. Responding officers were VERY nice and appologitic. they bailed on my call for a house alarm then finally made it to me. Dispatch F'd it up.

911 is VERY frustrating. as I'm giving the info to them, they transfer me to ( i assume) a local PD dispatch while I'll have to give them all info again. It's hard to give once, even harder to give twice under distress.

Btw, Welcome to the Forums. Thanks for what you do. PLEASE catch those SOB's. :)

I have the local PD number (SMPD and LASD) on speeddial. It's a good idea to have, anyway, better than calling 911.

Havoc70
04-28-2010, 1:59 PM
6'10" 300lbs! You wouldn't even need the glock to scare my 5'7" 150 lbs self.:o

155+ grains of lead will drop my @$$ just as quick :).

beerup949
04-28-2010, 2:00 PM
I assume you didn't intend it, but don't let race fool you, plenty of strong armed robberies committed by caucasians too.

Absolutely! I was just describing my experience.

Walker
04-28-2010, 2:04 PM
There are a group of thugs around here that would go around mugging people. But over the last few months they have moved up to breaking an entering while people are at work and now robbing people at gun point around the elementary school (I am shocked the gun free zone doesn't work). It is only a matter of time before they but the b&e and gun together for home invasions.

N6ATF
04-28-2010, 2:11 PM
There are a group of thugs around here that would go around mugging people. But over the last few months they have moved up to breaking an entering while people are at work and now robbing people at gun point around the elementary school (I am shocked the gun free zone doesn't work). It is only a matter of time before they but the b&e and gun together for home invasions.

The gun free zone works perfectly, exactly as designed. The victims are gun free, and the criminals have absolute power and safety!

POLICESTATE
04-28-2010, 2:12 PM
The gun free zone works perfectly, exactly as designed. The victims are gun free, and the criminals have absolute power and safety!

^ This :thumbsup:

ltspongebob
04-28-2010, 2:16 PM
A Sad "State" of affairs we live in. Fortunately I live in a neighborhood where I know nearly all of the kids and the parents always escort their kids during the fund raiser season. I won't disclose my personal SOP for door answering, but I'm sure it is not too much different than many of you. My wife will almost never answer the door. We have a place where we can see who is at the front door from nearly behind them without them knowing we can see them and we see all of the corners that additional people may try to stay out of the line of sight of the door; that comes in very handy.

It is funny that every Halloween when we are at home I am a soldier with my old Army BDU's and "toy gun" strapped to my hip. Most of the neighbors know the truth but they don't mind, and the kids are looking for the candy.

Serpentine
04-28-2010, 2:21 PM
Most of us have routines that are easily identified. Besides what has been discussed in this thread, consider checking the 180 degree area as you leave and enter your domicile.

Also consider that when you drive into your garage and remotely close it behind you, a perpetrator can come into your garage cloaked behind your blind spot, low and unnoticed. As Aldo Raine said " who's bright idea was it to have a gunfight in a basement!"

Spyduh
04-28-2010, 2:38 PM
Also consider that when you drive into your garage and remotely close it behind you, a perpetrator can come into your garage cloaked behind your blind spot, low and unnoticed. As Aldo Raine said " who's bright idea was it to have a gunfight in a basement!"

That's why you always BACK in your car. Makes it easier and safer (less likely to run over pedestrian's on the way out). Also a quick get away if you ever needed to leave ASAP.

POLICESTATE
04-28-2010, 2:42 PM
That's why you always BACK in your car. Makes it easier and safer (less likely to run over pedestrian's on the way out). Also a quick get away if you ever needed to leave ASAP.

:thumbsup:

vietcious
04-28-2010, 2:48 PM
I live in Winnetka and the same thing happened at my house about a month ago. A young African American knocked on my door trying to sell magazines, but my dog went nuts and I answered the door holding his collar.

The guy asked "Is he nice?" to which I replied "He can be..." to which the kid got nervous and ended up leaving. Less then a week later my next door neighbor's house was ransacked completely. From paperwork in cabinets to the garage, everything was flipped.

Their teenage daughter came home from school with her friend to find the house wrecked and came over crying and wondering if I heard anything. I was flabbergasted that I hadn't. My stepfather had been home all day and I came home before he left, neither of us heard them ransacking the house and apparently from the damage they had been at it for hours.

It's been about a month now and they have since installed a home security system, but I feel your anxiety about the current situation and have been on high alert for a bit now.

Very Disturbing... whereabouts in Winnetka did this occur? We have a neighborhood watch where I live and this would be very useful information.

Thanks for sharing and thanks to OP for keeping us alert... sometimes we do drop our guard and can easily become victim to this.

Midian
04-28-2010, 2:52 PM
Are there any legal issues about you answering the door with a pistol in your hand? Not pointing it at anyone, mind you.

I'm sure it's visibility in a holster would be deterrent enough, and that has to be perfectly legal since you are in your own residence.

POLICESTATE
04-28-2010, 2:58 PM
It's best to play with your cards close to the vest. Why advertise you have a firearm? Maybe they come back when no one is home because you've got something worth stealing now.

Better to keep it in hand out of sight, like behind the wall or something, let's assume your front door swings to your left when you open. You keep right gun in your right-hand out of sight, like your holding the wall (and blocking entry) while you open the door a little with your left.

They push in through the door? You step back and fire. Simple. Because at that point they are intruding into your home and in the "hot zone"

Reverse hand/gun positions for a door opening to the right.

TBH I wouldn't even open the door for someone I strongly suspected might try and force their way in. For others, I'd keep the gun in a holster or tucked in a waistband concealed, after all, I'm in my own home.

winnre
04-28-2010, 3:00 PM
Are there any legal issues about you answering the door with a pistol in your hand? Not pointing it at anyone, mind you.

I'm sure it's visibility in a holster would be deterrent enough, and that has to be perfectly legal since you are in your own residence.

No one ever visits me except one friend who shows up with beer in his hand. Anyone may not even get my attention. I'd have no problem answering with a gun in my hand and the hammer cocked back.

odysseus
04-28-2010, 3:15 PM

Not recommended for a casual encounter. Not only for as others mentioned it brings attention to yourself of what you have, but it can be used against you for someone to just lie that you brandished at them. It's too easy for them to play that on you. You shouldn't even open the damn door to someone that you feel you need to be armed at that level of presentation to just talk to them. Does that makes sense?

Once case I know of happened to an elderly well to do couple, business owner. The were embroiled in a bad lawsuit and being harassed. A guy came to serve them papers and knocked on the door early in the morning. Because the owner had been being threatened in this struggle with the person the lawsuit was involved in, he showed up with a shotgun, but it was not pointed just leaned on the wall by the door when he answered. He told the process server to shove off and slammed the door. The processor called and lied to the PD and said the man "brandished" the shotgun at him. PD showed up, wife answered the door that time and their pet dog tried to run out the door. She went to grab the dog and a LEO too "ON" grabbed the +70 year old woman and threw her on the ground and sat on her, injuring her too. Big debacle, no charges filed - but big hassle because one asshat lied about brandishing to have their little revenge.

Serpentine
04-28-2010, 3:15 PM
It's best to play with your cards close to the vest. Why advertise you have a firearm? Maybe they come back when no one is home because you've got something worth stealing now.

Better to keep it in hand out of sight, like behind the wall or something, let's assume your front door swings to your left when you open. You keep right gun in your right-hand out of sight, like your holding the wall (and blocking entry) while you open the door a little with your left.

They push in through the door? You step back and fire. Simple. Because at that point they are intruding into your home and in the "hot zone"

Reverse hand/gun positions for a door opening to the right.

TBH I wouldn't even open the door for someone I strongly suspected might try and force their way in. For others, I'd keep the gun in a holster or tucked in a waistband concealed, after all, I'm in my own home.

The covert position is probably the best if you must answer the door or dare to. Then rapidly put distance from the threat, go to retention, IDENTIFY, target acquisition, trigger control, and follow through. The holstered position is not always the best. Someone with training can grab that gun or your strong arm, and have you on the ground with your gun to the back of your head faster than you would think possible.

Good well accredited training is worth every penny.

Glock22Fan
04-28-2010, 3:49 PM
If I think I need to have my G22 out, I hold it in the bootlegger draw position, arm hanging down naturally, gun pointed at the ground and hidden from sight behind my thigh. The intruder won't even see it until after I have decided to pull the trigger. I think this has only ever happened (the bootlegger position, not the deciding to pull the trigger) about twice in my life; both times the visitor was genuine. and never saw the gun.

Someone with training can grab that gun or your strong arm, and have you on the ground with your gun to the back of your head faster than you would think possible.

If he's close enough to touch your gun, he is close enough to take it off you. Even if you have the gun stuck in his ribs or in the small of his back. However, he has to know you have it and where it is in relation to him.

And, if you are both armed in a kind of standoff position, and you wait for him to make the first move, he will (if he wants to) get the first shot off. Even if your gun is pointing at him and his is down by his side. Always amuses me when I see these situations portrayed on TV.

"DROP THE GUN! I SAID DROP THE GUN! Oh, I have a hole in my chest."

Serpentine
04-28-2010, 4:24 PM
If I think I need to have my G22 out, I hold it in the bootlegger draw position, arm hanging down naturally, gun pointed at the ground and hidden from sight behind my thigh. The intruder won't even see it until after I have decided to pull the trigger. I think this has only ever happened (the bootlegger position, not the deciding to pull the trigger) about twice in my life; both times the visitor was genuine. and never saw the gun.

If he's close enough to touch your gun, he is close enough to take it off you. Even if you have the gun stuck in his ribs or in the small of his back. However, he has to know you have it and where it is in relation to him.

And, if you are both armed in a kind of standoff position, and you wait for him to make the first move, he will (if he wants to) get the first shot off. Even if your gun is pointing at him and his is down by his side. Always amuses me when I see these situations portrayed on TV.

"DROP THE GUN! I SAID DROP THE GUN! Oh, I have a hole in my chest."

Yep, this is why people need good accredited training. Simply having a gun means absolutely nothing against a trained attacker. If you've had proper accredited training, then you probably know the terms like "covert, retention, retention firing positions, distancing, MOVE off the X, cover, concealment, target identification, target acquisition, trigger control, follow-through, most effective firing positions, ballistics, malfunction drills, tactical reloads, administrative reloads, emergency reloads, press-check, etc., etc.

1 SIG fan
04-28-2010, 4:41 PM

Just askin, what type of glock does a 6'10" guy have? please oh please say G26 (subcompact 9mm) although i imagne a 10mm looks like a G26 in your hands :)

Havoc70
04-28-2010, 4:42 PM
Just askin, what type of glock does a 6'10" guy have? please oh please say G26 (subcompact 9mm) although i imagne a 10mm looks like a G26 in your hands :)

It was a 24P, .40 S&W. It was BIG. My avatar picture is my Sig 226 in holster. A friend of mine saw that and asked why I bought a compact. Heh, on me, ANYTHING looks compact.

Rock_Islander
04-28-2010, 4:50 PM
Yeah you know, I've got to TOTALLY agree with the guys that are saying to keep your weapons concealed on you IF and when you are answering the door to your OWN HOME.

It does not pay to advertise to outsiders, or even your neighbors that there are guns in the house.

Guns are valuable, expensive, and highly sought after items. Once people know that you've got "goods" in the home, they will return when you're not aware.

The safest way would basically be to pack your pistol in an inside-waist-band holster (in your home).

It seems a little overparanoid, but in the event where every split second counts, and you've been caught off guard and someone armed is in your house 15 feet or less from you... Then I bet my bank account you'd be glad you can grab it from that IWB holster.

I just walk around my house and take it wherever I'm at with me. Bathroom, watching TV and its on the couch next to me, in the garage with me while I'm reloading my .45 casings, in the kitchen while I'm heating up leftovers, you catch my drift. Let me tell you, I feel safe 100% of those times, even if there were some goon trying to invade my home.

POLICESTATE
04-28-2010, 4:52 PM
It was a 24P, .40 S&W. It was BIG. My avatar picture is my Sig 226 in holster. A friend of mine saw that and asked why I bought a compact. Heh, on me, ANYTHING looks compact.

I always thought that was a Sig P228/229 in your avatar :)

bodger
04-28-2010, 5:24 PM

....so....fighter pilot in the USAF, were you?
Just kidding. :)

nitrofc
04-28-2010, 5:37 PM
"I put a no soliciting sign on my door and told my wife to
grab my 1911 next time someone knocks , not the 380"

Good idea.

Havoc70
04-28-2010, 5:44 PM
....so....fighter pilot in the USAF, were you?
Just kidding. :)

Nope, too tall. I was a gunner on a B-52. Enlisted didn't have height requirements. I'm paying for it now, though, my neck is completely jacked up from the headrest being at my shoulder blades and not being able to support the helmet.

Big Jake
04-28-2010, 6:21 PM
I saw this story on the the local news web site last night. I am currently living with my friend in Porter Ranch and I am now locked and loaded. Just in case!

advocatusdiaboli
04-28-2010, 7:04 PM
This. And where there's one visible dirtbag, there usually are more that aren't visible.

Yep. My daughters and wife know this well by now. We also have two loud barking medium weight dogs who even scare the postal folks when they bark at the window. Dogs are man's best friend in discouraging break-ins.

"Can we get in down there?" -- Bulwyf
"Maybe...they don't keep dogs" -- another Viking

--from the film The Thirteenth Warrior

sen24
04-28-2010, 7:17 PM
Id liked to thank everyone for telling their stories and what to look out for ..

id just like to note that the girls selling the vacuum/cleaning is usually legit. they work for Kirby and sometimes hire inner city girls. not that we shouldnt be diligent... its a shame that these days you never know who to trust.

wheels
04-28-2010, 8:12 PM
Id liked to thank everyone for telling their stories and what to look out for ..

id just like to note that the girls selling the vacuum/cleaning is usually legit. they work for Kirby and sometimes hire inner city girls. not that we shouldnt be diligent... its a shame that these days you never know who to trust.

These days - don't trust anyone I don't know. It's a shame, when/where I grew up if you saw someone on the side of the road you pulled over and helped out, now days it's probably about a 1 in 10 odds that's the last thing you will ever do.

Makes me wonder what an anti would do if you pulled over to help them open carrying...

The scumbags have figured out that they can effectively use females as bait for guys, and maybe girls too...

mastadonn
04-28-2010, 9:06 PM
Three weeks ago, we had a similar situation here in Bakersfield. It ended unfortunately for the elderly homeowner. 3 African-American teen-agers, who were apparently runaways from a group home, were going around a neighborhood in East Bakersfield, knocking on doors. If anyone answered the door they claimed to be looking for someone.

The house they picked had no one answering the door, so they went around to the back door and entered the home. The 87 year woman in the home, finally noticed them and began making noise. The male intruder says he hit her to try to keep her quiet, while his two female accomplices were ransacking the house.

The elderly lady died of the injuries sustained. At least the 3 murderers were in back in jail within the week.

Very sad.

I have security doors on all my outside doors to prevent them from being kicked in. I have found out that they will not stop someone intent on getting in.

A little over a year ago the local SWAT/Narcotics enforcement team had my security door and front door down in less than 5 seconds, and had me spreadeagled on the floor at 7 am in the morning.

They were "very" apologetic when they realized their warrant was for the house across the street.

Luckily I heard them yell "Police! Search Warrant!" just prior to breaking down the doors. I just had time to drop the 9 mm pistol back into the front entry wall safe before they came in. Could have been unfortunate.

Scratch705
04-28-2010, 9:10 PM
well swat entry vs home invasion entry is different. doubt the typical criminal will have the skills to take down a security door and wood door in seconds.

Snarky
04-28-2010, 9:18 PM
I'm in Encino. My house was broken into about 8 weeks ago, WHILE I was home. Heard the blinds rustle from the Sanata Anas... Then realized it wasn't windy. Walked around the corner, 1 mexican guy standing in my kitchen opening the slider to let another in. less then 10' away, we had a 60sec stand off before I yelled and they took off and scaled a 6' ally fece like it was a curb. They had pulled out a window screen. If I handn't of surprised them they might of cornered me... No time to grab a pistol as they were between me and my normal spot scared the **** out of me. No time to grab a pistol as they were between me and my normal spot. Cops took 150min to respond. I called 911 3times. .

I'm not a coward or anything like that but this post scared me.

JDay
04-28-2010, 9:29 PM
I hate to say it, but layered security is still your best bet. Gates, bars, alarms, big dogs, and finally fireams. It makes you feel like a prisoner in your own home, but there is not much you can do other than move. Be safe guys.

If you put ballistic laminate on your windows you'll get the benefits of having window bars without feeling like a prisoner. Some of this stuff is even bulletproof.

http://www.pimall.com/nais/bulletprooffilm.html

Bulletproof film 336- is a human life protection agent from planned attacks such as terrorism, explosion or assassinations. It stops bullet and explosion from glass penetration and protects human life or property. Resistance capability depends much on type of armor, bullet, thickness of glass and number of layer.

http://www.pimall.com/nais/images/bullletproofshop.jpg

glockwise2000
04-28-2010, 9:44 PM
ShadyJeff,

Thanks for the heads up. I live in Northridge and that was one of the areas you have mentioned. That is now a red flag to us and my family.

G2000

Shady
04-28-2010, 9:47 PM
ya im in northridge too sketchy ****

1 SIG fan
04-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Ahhh crap... Love the valley. Ghetto bird overhead, lightinup 2 houses for about 15min. Sounds like atleast 20 Black and whites rollin up code3. TWENTY minutes ago.:eek: I'm posted at the window covering my backyard. I live'D' in a good area. Really, tonights antics and these posts... I'm gonna turn and burn. F the equity :mad:

1 SIG fan
04-29-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm not a coward or anything like that but this post scared me.

You should been there. I coulda used the backup

the_donald_
04-29-2010, 12:20 AM
this...

http://www.screamforsecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/barking-dog.jpg

Had a guy come to my door, just hours after I read the OP's post, clipboard in hand. My pup nearly jumped through the window after his sorry @ss. I didn't even bother talking to him, she did all the talking for me.:cool:

darkjedi351
04-29-2010, 12:29 AM
This is exactly why i carry when home. somebody comes to the door or through a window i may not have time to go the lock box.

sad times we live in but it's something we need to do to protect ourselves. Lots of crap going on with the economy and job cuts.

johnthomas
04-29-2010, 12:55 AM
http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/Fake-Security-Cameras-c=28
I have real ones hidden and fake ones in plain site.

bedan86
04-29-2010, 1:43 AM
I think the county let go of some inmates in a local jail due to over crowding. Inmates are spoiled here in CA. who cares if they are over crowded. Now we have to catch them in the act again and put them back in jail and those soft in crime politicians will release them again.

mhho
04-29-2010, 6:02 AM

Here's some friendly advice...

Welcome LA Copper.

Thanks for the inside scoop and the friendly tips. Great advices.

Snarky
04-29-2010, 6:48 AM
this...

http://www.screamforsecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/barking-dog.jpg

Had a guy come to my door, just hours after I read the OP's post, clipboard in hand. My pup nearly jumped through the window after his sorry @ss. I didn't even bother talking to him, she did all the talking for me.:cool:

I've got a couple of those too. For some reasons the females are particularly protective. There is a little more drama in the house than with males but they really do offer alot of protection.

Its amazing how bad guys fear dogs. I personally just don't fear dogs but I grew up on a street where every house had a hostile dog or two that would come out to the street and test you. People would carry a stick or ski pole when walking up my street back then.

Anyway, nice looking pup. She looks friendly. :) :eek:

CCWFacts
04-29-2010, 6:49 AM
Ahhh crap... Love the valley. Ghetto bird overhead,

I'm in a great area of town and the ghetto bird is circling around overhead RIGHT NOW, telling people to stay inside. I called our local PD's non-emergency number. They said there was a burglary and we should stay inside while police are looking for the suspect. HAPPENING NOW! I hope the suspect stays away from here. I also hope the police don't want to search my place because I won't consent to it, and I would rather not have that kind of discussion. I fully support our local PD (they are truly fantastic, and are one of the major reasons I live here) and it's great that they are so active in this but I still don't consent to searches.

Glock22Fan
04-29-2010, 7:17 AM
Luckily I heard them yell "Police! Search Warrant!" just prior to breaking down the doors. I just had time to drop the 9 mm pistol back into the front entry wall safe before they came in. Could have been unfortunate.

I've heard the bad guys are now doing this :(

Curtis
04-29-2010, 8:17 AM
My neighbor was too nice to tell solicitors "no." She would talk to any kid that come to the door. The kids give a similar spiel about working towards college/sports/study abroad/etc. They say they live "a couple of streets over" but there are very view kids (young teens) in the area.

She started getting nervous when one of the kids was asking lots of questions (sounded like he was casing her situation) and she really flipped out when a second kid made the same exact statement: both kids said "nice ring." She kept repeating the same statement, "my ring isn't that nice; what kind of teenager notices a woman's wedding ring?"

They now have new locks, latches, signs, and she doesn't answer the door.

Fate
04-29-2010, 12:18 PM
A little over a year ago the local SWAT/Narcotics enforcement team had my security door and front door down in less than 5 seconds, and had me spreadeagled on the floor at 7 am in the morning.

They were "very" apologetic when they realized their warrant was for the house across the street.

So how big was your settlement check? Seriously!

hill billy
04-29-2010, 12:24 PM
So how big was your settlement check? Seriously!
Zero.

I reload a lot sitting in my garage with the door open during the summer. I see nothing wrong with carrying all around the house. It's easier than stashing guns all over the house with kids.

sixtringr
04-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Matadonn is right about the security doors offering not the best protection. However it does offer the advantage of the prospective perps or unwanted salespersons of not being able to see you inside if the lights are brighter outside. I have had "sales" people say "I can't see you" to which I have replied "that's the way I like it". Of course the doberman is right there and he won't shut up if I don't tell him to.
The doors are cheap and easy to install on most houses. I have done my house and two neighbors as well- garage and front.

GearHead
04-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Reminds me of a year ago when I was back home in CO visiting my parents and building my first AR. See in free states, you can work on guns in your garage with the doors open and nobody will call the cops. So there I am, just having finished my lower receiver and slapped it on my upper. I pulled the CH back to do a function test and heard:

"excuse me sir, can i ask you for a minute of your time?"

I turned around, dropped the CH and let the bolt fly home and said "No." He got an interesting look on his face and promptly started walking the way he came, didn't even bother going to my neighbor's place. Ah good times.

Thankfully, at present I live with 5 other guys who take classes/work at different times than me. I honestly can't think of a period more than about 10 minutes where there isn't somebody at my home. Plus I am right next door to a business, so anybody who wanted to rob me during the day would be fairly obvious. Can't live here forever though, good tips in this thread.

gazzavc
04-29-2010, 1:23 PM
This seems to have strayed from the original posts. But here is an update.

Last night in Woodland Hills, my neighbour had his truck broken into and a portable sat-nav system stolen.

Happened about 2am. The son saw some people messing about in the front yard, but by the time he got downstairs and out the door they had taken off.

Watch out for perps breaking into cars in driveways and stealing garage door openers for "later" use !!

Gary

POLICESTATE
04-29-2010, 1:25 PM
Watch out for perps breaking into cars in driveways and stealing garage door openers for "later" use !!

^ THIS, don't leave your garage door openers in your cars, take them in your house with your car keys and other stuff you wouldn't leave in your car.

CSACANNONEER
04-29-2010, 1:30 PM
See in free states, you can work on guns in your garage with the doors open and nobody will call the cops.

After 4 AK build parties with people building AKs in my driveway and open garage, no one has called the police yet. They did drive by a few times when people had almost complete rifles in their laps in the driveway. But, no one ever stopped to ask us anything.

GearHead
04-29-2010, 1:35 PM
After 4 AK build parties with people building AKs in my driveway and open garage, no one has called the police yet. They did drive by a few times when people had almost complete rifles in their laps in the driveway. But, no one ever stopped to ask us anything.

I was more commenting on the overall "feel" I suppose. Back home nobody would even think twice about seeing me fondling an evil black baby-killing assault rifle, whereas I guarantee you that if I ever made my gun ownership known in an obvious way, all the people near me would be on the phone in ten seconds crying about a "maniac with a gun sitting on his couch and watching the Broncos destroy the Raiders."

Big Jake
04-29-2010, 1:36 PM

This is a good deterent to any bad guys who are casing the "Hood". After all. who would break into a house when they see a bunch of rifles being built on the property? :mad:

odysseus
04-29-2010, 1:39 PM
This is a good deterent to any bad guys who are casing the "Hood". After all. who would break into a house when they see a bunch of rifles being built on the property? :mad:

Someone who watches and waits until everyone has left the house.

Aldemar
04-29-2010, 1:57 PM

Same here. Last thing I do before I leave is put the 1911 in the safe & set the alarm. Reversed when I get home.

I'm in Northridge and last Saturday an older kid came to the door. Didn't ring the bell or knock, just stood there. After I asked him what he wanted, he said "Hey man, can I talk to you". I just told him I don't need anything.

About this time my two Weimaraners realized there was someone at the door and started raising hell. I have a security screen in the front and you cannot see thru it due to the lighting. This kid left in one big hurry.

Dogs are truely a man's best friend.

buddylee
04-29-2010, 2:07 PM
Dogs will deter most loosers, or at least alert you to there arrival..........then you can arm yourself ! My dogs bark at anything that moves in front or back!

buddylee
04-29-2010, 2:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Aldemar
04-29-2010, 2:17 PM
Noticed a few guys from Northridge here. Perhaps we should schedule an informal shoot at The Firing Line one day after work.

PM me if interested - I live about 3 blocks from the place.

valleyguy
04-29-2010, 2:59 PM
Noticed a few guys from Northridge here. Perhaps we should schedule an informal shoot at The Firing Line one day after work.

We just moved into Northridge ourselves from an apartment in Woodland Hills.

Knock on wood, but so far the LAPD crime map (Google that to see what I mean) shows more crime in my old neighborhood on Erwin St. than in my new area, near Roscoe and Wilbur.

That being said, all this talk has me paranoid and alert. We had the security system put in Monday, and will probably eventually get the big dog as well for the yard.

When my wife left the house for work today (she works from home 2/3 of the week), she spotted two African-American guys in a beat-up old white van casing the neighborhood. She stopped to watch them, they noticed, and ambled on their way.

I called 311 from work and let them know of the situation. I plan to call 311 on anyone who doesn't fit the area or who loiters (we have a big problem with night parkers adjacent to the house) -- gotta keep the heat up and let these guys know that this isn't a place they can roam without trouble.

Lucky for me, my neighbors are nosy (in a nice way) and watch out for eachother.

I did have a kid come to our door the 2nd day we moved in, but he actually did have an order form and was pushing for the sale. I still kept the door mostly shut and my "Brooklyn Smasher" shatterproof bat out of view in my other hand behind the door :)

N6ATF
04-29-2010, 6:16 PM
sat-nav system

Limey-to-Yank: GPS.

Serpentine
04-29-2010, 6:33 PM
Wish you guys had seen the SFV back in the 70's. The Rock and Roll era. The Aerospace era. Rock bands springing up all over the place. Cool surfer parties. Cruising Van Nuys Blvd on Wed nights. Great restaurants. Busch Gardens. Tommy's for cheeseburgers after the night clubs closed for the night. Valley Girls. Warner Brothers Studios......

Things were cool back then. Everyone of every ethnicity got along pretty darn good and we all respected each other like brothers. There was no skin color issues or violent gangs back then. The Valley was a very nostalgic place!

You that live there, don't give up hope. Find the good in the Valley again.

Bill Carson
04-29-2010, 7:03 PM

he left nervously.

I just got back from a Sheriff's meeting. The captain of our area said this daylight knock knock burgalry/robbery tactic is now a L.A. countywide problem.

Lulfas
04-29-2010, 7:05 PM

Lucky :( I gotta drive in from Simi Valley

VAReact
04-29-2010, 7:54 PM
Had someone come to the door when I used to live in Altadena -I was sitting on the porch (as I was accustomed to doing enjoying the afternoon) with the front door wide open. A male approached and said something about selling some "cleaner", and had a bottle of some Green stuff in his hand. Maybe 2-3 weeks later our house was burglarized. Lost a computer and printer -but gained a love and subsequent ownership of multiple firearms and a gun safe :) . I never sat on the porch with the door open again. Well, if all goes well, I'll be moving to Bishop very shortly :D, so I can leave this all behind (I'm in the Crescenta Valley right now).

glockman19
04-29-2010, 7:58 PM
Wish you guys had seen the SFV back in the 70's. The Rock and Roll era. The Aerospace era. Rock bands springing up all over the place. Cool surfer parties. Cruising Van Nuys Blvd on Wed nights. Great restaurants. Busch Gardens. Tommy's for cheeseburgers after the night clubs closed for the night. Valley Girls. Warner Brothers Studios......

Things were cool back then. Everyone of every ethnicity got along pretty darn good and we all respected each other like brothers. There was no skin color issues or violent gangs back then. The Valley was a very nostalgic place!

I remember...It was a great place to live in the 1960's and 1970's.

shoupdawg
04-29-2010, 9:05 PM

First off, scary thread and some of the stories are eerily close to what has happened to me and/or my g/f. I'm sharing this with her soon as she gets home from work. Thank you as we're going to be a bit more careful when answering the door.

Secondly...man Busch Gardens...it's a trip that it was right there with all the animals and what not at Roscoe off the 405. Right in the heart of the Valley. And speaking of nostalgia...is there still a Luv's bbq around? Used to go to the one off of Balboa in Northridge. And Farrel's!!!! Went to the one in Santa Clarita a while back...not the same as the one I remember as a youngin'...

-aK-
04-30-2010, 1:33 AM
I know this might seem a little shameless but I'm a broker through and can get ADT installed with the equipment free and the installation essentially free. If you PM me I'll give instructions on how to take advantage of this.

yeah yeah, trying to help, not trying to make a sale.

Rivet
04-30-2010, 6:50 AM
Thanks for the info shadyjeff.

Havoc70
04-30-2010, 7:46 AM
This morning while I was getting ready for work, a young woman I haven't seen in the complex knocked on my door and asked if she could borrow my phone, her car had broken down and the friend she was visiting had left for work already and couldn't use his.

Through the peep hole I saw a couple of people loitering around the car port, checking out my X5. I told her I'd be more than happy to call a tow truck for her, but I was not going to open my door. She yelled at me, calling me a racist, saying I wouldn't do it because she was black.

As she walked down the stairs, the people loitering joined her at the bottom and went off walking somewhere else. When I left this morning, I armed the alarm as "instant on", and double checked the area.

GuyW
04-30-2010, 9:39 AM
.....I still kept the door mostly shut and my "Brooklyn Smasher" shatterproof bat out of view in my other hand behind the door :)

No - :(

....that's an felony....use a gun....

Marxman
04-30-2010, 9:54 AM
This morning while I was getting ready for work, a young woman I haven't seen in the complex knocked on my door and asked if she could borrow my phone, her car had broken down and the friend she was visiting had left for work already and couldn't use his.

Through the peep hole I saw a couple of people loitering around the car port, checking out my X5. I told her I'd be more than happy to call a tow truck for her, but I was not going to open my door. She yelled at me, calling me a racist, saying I wouldn't do it because she was black.

As she walked down the stairs, the people loitering joined her at the bottom and went off walking somewhere else. When I left this morning, I armed the alarm as "instant on", and double checked the area.

Wow, watched any new South Park lately? I think her name was Mitch Connor!

valleyguy
04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
No - :(

....that's an felony....use a gun....

Really? Ouch! What's the difference?

IGOTDIRT4U
04-30-2010, 11:39 AM

Curious, too. It's an expected item inside his house. It's not like he has it in his car while driving, next to him. That is illegal, I know.

Sawdust
04-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Ah, yes...I remember those days.

And I'll add: Weekend nights at the Red Onion.

Sawdust

POLICESTATE
04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Curious, too. It's an expected item inside his house. It's not like he has it in his car while driving, next to him. That is illegal, I know.

I would think that illegal weapons like nun-chuks, switchblades, brass knuckles and the like would be a big no-no since you're not supposed to have them anyway. But any object close at hand to defend yourself with is okay when it comes down to defending yourself, be it a bat, scissors, pen, butcher knife, butter knife, TV remote, barbel, staple gun, etc...?

Scratch705
04-30-2010, 11:48 AM
but I was not going to open my door. She yelled at me, calling me a racist, saying I wouldn't do it because she was black.

i would have said, "so? i offered help and you denied it, if anything you are racist"

GuyW
04-30-2010, 11:53 AM

You expressed intent to use a baseball bat as a weapon against a human. That's a felony billyclub arrest and conviction.

Its stupid, but CA law (but, I repeat myself...).

Scratch705
04-30-2010, 12:07 PM
next time just hide a claw hammer. smaller and can be swung better in small spaces. plus easier to get out of legal issues.

Glock22Fan
04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
You expressed intent to use a baseball bat as a weapon against a human. That's a felony billyclub arrest and conviction.

Its stupid, but CA law (but, I repeat myself...).

Having a baseball bat, glove and a ball by the front door (or in the car)ready to be taken out the next time there's a match, together with some evidence that you (or a family member) actually play baseball from time to time - legal.

Having a baseball bat by the front door (or in the car) with the intent to use it as a weapon in case of home invasion -- illegal.

Using whatever is at hand for legal purposes to foil a home invasion is also legal.

If you don't play baseball. a 3 or 4 D cell Maglight can be kept by the front door, as long as your stated intended purpose is to make sure you don't trip over anything at night. The moment you say "It makes a good club," it becomes illegal. However, in extremis, you can use it as a club. (beware, it is not difficult to kill someone with such a Maglight, use your common sense about who you hit.)

Added:

If you decide on a claw hammer or whatever, make sure you have a good legitimate reason for having it by the front door. One can argue the semantics of the penal code, but basically the courts have decided that anything can be classed as a weapon if the intent is to use it as a weapon.

Last time I was in Boot Barn, they had some stout walking sticks with heavy brass handles. You do need a walking stick when you go out, to stop you stumbling, don't you? And where is better to keep it than by the front door?

GuyW
04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
next time just hide a claw hammer. smaller and can be swung better in small spaces. plus easier to get out of legal issues.

...anything THING is a problem if one expresses the intent to use the thing as a WEAPON against a human...

POLICESTATE
04-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Last time I was in Boot Barn, they had some stout walking sticks with heavy brass handles. You do need a walking stick when you go out, to stop you stumbling, don't you? And where is better to keep it than by the front door?

EVERYONE needs a stout walking stick these days, falls can be very serious things. :)

Scratch705
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
...anything THING is a problem if one expresses the intent to use the thing as a WEAPON against a human...

so tv remote is also bad? :o

Fate
04-30-2010, 1:21 PM
I know this might seem a little shameless but I'm a broker through and can get ADT installed with the equipment free and the installation essentially free. If you PM me I'll give instructions on how to take advantage of this.

yeah yeah, trying to help, not trying to make a sale.

How much for just the sign? LOL

winnre
04-30-2010, 1:30 PM
I am armed for bears, literally. I have bears. Bear mace, a buck knife, a sword, anything and everything that can makes something bleed is easy to reach. I simply do not have enough cash to have a 10 gauge every 5 feet.

So I guess I will tell the officer I thought he was a bear. :>

Havoc70
04-30-2010, 1:44 PM
Wow, watched any new South Park lately? I think her name was Mitch Connor!

Aw, man, no, I haven't. I used to go to a bar in Walnut Creek and watch it on Wednesdays with co-workers. I don't think I've seen an episode in a few months. I used to catch episodes on allsp.com

CEDaytonaRydr
04-30-2010, 1:58 PM
May I suggest an intercom system?

That way, she doesn't have to open the door at all. ;)

Preacher
04-30-2010, 2:15 PM

AWESOME advice I have the same rule at my house..Is there a thread on CG where we can post things like this? If not there should be...Just a thought

Also glad to hear that this situation had a happy ending...Im in Kern County and lately we have seen on the news where people werent so lucky:mad:

Alot of invasion style robberies unfortunately with casualties...

1 SIG fan
04-30-2010, 2:16 PM
CHECK THiS SITE OUT: you can click on and 'explode' each area down to neighborhoods

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/crime/

give you crime/safety for every neighboorhood in CA. helped me reassure where I want to move, and confirmed why I don't want to stay where i am.

1 SIG fan
04-30-2010, 2:21 PM
Originally Posted by amd64

i STRONGLY disagree.

my wife never would respond. now I require her THROUGH the door. If you don't respond they think no ones home and could cause them to go around back.

Now, she may yell from the couch something like, 'Hun can you get it..." then goto the door talking and say TROUGH the door " sorry I'm on the phone, were not interested". Never open the door.

This gives the illusion others are home AND your on the phone, so someone outside the house could call 911 if they suspected their 'friend' is in danger!

SunriseF150
04-30-2010, 2:26 PM
Let us know if the police get anyone to identify the person on your tapes as one of the 4 guys.

Neil McCauley
04-30-2010, 3:07 PM
My ex used to live on Ventura and Winnetka in Woodland Hills, they always had ederly rich folks up in the hill get robbed from time to time. Lots of nice expensive houses up there in the hills.

winnre
04-30-2010, 3:16 PM
CHECK THiS SITE OUT: you can click on and 'explode' each area down to neighborhoods

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/crime/

give you crime/safety for every neighboorhood in CA. helped me reassure where I want to move, and confirmed why I don't want to stay where i am.

Nice site! ;)

Preacher
04-30-2010, 4:04 PM
i STRONGLY disagree.

my wife never would respond. now I require her THROUGH the door. If you don't respond they think no ones home and could cause them to go around back.

Now, she may yell from the couch something like, 'Hun can you get it..." then goto the door talking and say TROUGH the door " sorry I'm on the phone, were not interested". Never open the door.

This gives the illusion others are home AND your on the phone, so someone outside the house could call 911 if they suspected their 'friend' is in danger!

Very Very true....My point was they never OPEN the door..especially at night..