PDA

View Full Version : Rules regarding storing a gun outside of CA?

PanchoVilla
04-27-2010, 5:05 PM
I am likely to find myself moving up north at some point in the future. Maybe in 5 years, maybe 10. I have family up in oregon and washington. I was wondering what the rules would be regarding how I could legally purchase firearms while on vacation and leave them there? Ie, I could probably do something like get my brother to allow me to bolt a small safe down in his garage that only I had the combo to and store a couple of C&R handguns in it or something.

If I can't purchase them, I guess I could have him purchase the guns now and then sell them to me at some point in the future when I relocated. (this would be following whatever the transfer rules are in OR or WA at that time)

As a CA resident am I allowed to buy a gun up there?

GearHead
04-27-2010, 5:25 PM
I am likely to find myself moving up north at some point in the future. Maybe in 5 years, maybe 10. I have family up in oregon and washington. I was wondering what the rules would be regarding how I could legally purchase firearms while on vacation and leave them there? Ie, I could probably do something like get my brother to allow me to bolt a small safe down in his garage that only I had the combo to and store a couple of C&R handguns in it or something.

If I can't purchase them, I guess I could have him purchase the guns now and then sell them to me at some point in the future when I relocated. (this would be following whatever the transfer rules are in OR or WA at that time)

As a CA resident am I allowed to buy a gun up there?

CA residents have the luxury of only buying guns in CA, last I checked.

Sinixstar
04-27-2010, 5:30 PM
ATF Rules say you can purchase long guns out of state, but they must be shipped back to your home state for transfer.

Handguns, home state only.

Hunter
04-27-2010, 5:44 PM
ATF Rules say you can purchase long guns out of state, but they must be shipped back to your home state for transfer.

Handguns, home state only.

Seems you got yourself ahold of bad info here, in that it is not quite right...

From the BATF :
Q1: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q2: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

The catch for CA residents is the statement "provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides" . The only way to meet this requirement is to process the sale in CA thru a CA-DOJ approved FFL. Out of state FFLs are not CA-DOJ approved. So it is CA laws and not BATF laws that prevent this. Also, no difference for a long gun or handgun here.