PDA

View Full Version : PPT Questions

wutzu
03-01-2006, 1:37 PM
I'm going to buy an M-1 Carbine from the neighbor of one of my friends here at Cal Poly. The neighbor however, lives in San Diego. What's the least painful way to get the gun legally? A cop I work with who has a C&R license says we both have to be there at the shop in person to do the transfer. I don't want to drive to san diego, and I doubt the neighbor wants to drive to SLO. Is there any other option that I'm not aware of?

GTKrockeTT
03-01-2006, 1:59 PM
cal poly pomona or cal poly san luis obispo?

50 Freak
03-01-2006, 2:00 PM
If the rifle is over 50 years old, it is considered a C&R, cash and carry.

C.G.
03-01-2006, 2:09 PM
I'm going to buy an M-1 Carbine from the neighbor of one of my friends here at Cal Poly. The neighbor however, lives in San Diego. What's the least painful way to get the gun legally? A cop I work with who has a C&R license says we both have to be there at the shop in person to do the transfer. I don't want to drive to san diego, and I doubt the neighbor wants to drive to SLO. Is there any other option that I'm not aware of?

If you want to do PPT, both have to be present. You can have him ship it to your FFL, but then it wouldn't be PPT.

ohsmily
03-01-2006, 2:19 PM
He can ship the gun to the FFL of your choice in your area. He has to either have a signd in ink copy of the license or a clear faxed copy of the license BEFORE he ships the gun to the FFL. Then he ships it there. The FFL is going to charge a fee to receive the gun and transfer it to you. It can be expensive (25 for DROS and sometimes more than 50 for the FFL's fee). Then you get it from the FFL and wait your 10 days.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, THIS HAS BEEN COVERED MANY TIMES.

wutzu
03-01-2006, 2:32 PM
Should have searched... so lazy today. Regardless, thanks for all the help.

Mssr. Eleganté
03-01-2006, 8:55 PM
If the M1 Carbine is a real USGI model then the least painfull way for you to get it legally is for the guy to mail or UPS it right to your door. Just make sure he doesn't include a magazine that holds over 10 rounds. As was mentioned above, transfers of C&R long guns over 50 years old between California residents don't need to go through an FFL at all. And Federal laws about having to ship guns to an FFL don't apply here because the gun is not crossing State lines.

wutzu
03-01-2006, 10:11 PM
If the M1 Carbine is a real USGI model then the least painfull way for you to get it legally is for the guy to mail or UPS it right to your door. Just make sure he doesn't include a magazine that holds over 10 rounds. As was mentioned above, transfers of C&R long guns over 50 years old between California residents don't need to go through an FFL at all. And Federal laws about having to ship guns to an FFL don't apply here because the gun is not crossing State lines.

You just made my day. Thanks

ohsmily
03-01-2006, 10:40 PM

Can someone affirmatively attest to this? It seems that if you met in person and he gave you cash for it, that might be fine...but, he would be shipping it to you...I don't think you can do that...(but I am NOT sure). For example, how would the seller know he isn't sending the carbine to a 12 year old if he didn't meet him in person and do the transfer that way?

jtyoshi
03-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Adult Signiture required Form?

wutzu
03-02-2006, 1:18 AM
Would I or the neighbor (the one selling the M-1) need to have a C&R license? I looked through the CA DOJ's gun laws guide, and none of it seemed to apply, since C&R isn't a "firearm" by the standard used in it.

I think I can talk him into coming up this weekend, so it's more a matter of whether I'm going to have to wait ten days or not.

Thanks for all the help

Mssr. Eleganté
03-02-2006, 7:20 AM
If you had a C&R license then you could have the Carbine shipped to you from out of state.

If you had a C&R license and a Certificate of Eligability then you could buy the Carbine from a California Dealer and avoid the ten day waiting period.

But since you are buying the Carbine from another California resident who is not a Dealer, a C&R license would not give you any additional benifits in this situation.

wutzu
03-02-2006, 9:48 AM
So just so i've got this all understood right:

It's a C&R long gun, being transferred between two non-C&R licensed CA residents, so I do/don't have to: do the transfer at an FFL, do/don't have to wait ten days?

Sorry i'm being so obtuse on this...

EOD Guy
03-02-2006, 12:01 PM
So just so i've got this all understood right:

It's a C&R long gun, being transferred between two non-C&R licensed CA residents, so I do/don't have to: do the transfer at an FFL, do/don't have to wait ten days?

Sorry i'm being so obtuse on this...

Correct, but the firearm has to be over 50 years old. The exemption from the dealer transfer requirement is in Penal Code Section 12078(t)(2).

(2) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent sale, loan, or transfer of a firearm that is not a handgun, which is a curio or relic manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.

Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 is the dealer transfer requirement which does not apply in your case.

In case you were wondering, all USGI M1 carbines are over 50 years old.

Just a reminder. You cannot transfer any magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.