PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Tech Massacre effects?

fonionrings
04-27-2010, 3:30 PM
I was reading up on the VT shootings and came across this on Wikipedia (yes, because we all know everything Wikipedia states is true!):

"The massacre prompted the state of Virginia to close legal loopholes that had previously allowed Cho, an individual adjudicated as mentally unsound, to purchase handguns without detection by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). It also led to passage of the first major federal gun control measure in more than 13 years."

I tried searching for what this gun control measure was, but was unable to find anything (or my Google-fu is just very lacking). Can anyone please inform me what this entails?

Thanks.

gregorylucas
04-27-2010, 4:17 PM
As I recall it was a "fix" to the hold the NCIS places on people who have voluntary checked into full-time live-in psychactric counseling. In other words a NCIS gun hold was only placed on someone who had been forcibly taken into and kept for a duration but not those who had gone in because that thought they needed help. The law made it so that anyone who was in a mental facility got a NCIS hold regardless of self-checkin/checkout. I don't know the duration of the hold.

The Virginia Tech murderer had purchased his weapons legally and checked himself into psych counseling before the killing. So this law was supposted to correct that, he would have gotten the guns anyways IMHO.

And the article is probably correct in that it was a major gun control win but that was only because it was the only one I can recall for more than a decade since the 1994 AWB. The article fails to mention that this was sheparded by the NRA and the gun-controllers thought "there is more bad with this bill than good" according to an article I read at the time.

-Greg

GaryV
04-27-2010, 5:16 PM
NICS Improvement Act (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-2640)

press1280
04-28-2010, 2:15 AM
I was reading up on the VT shootings and came across this on Wikipedia (yes, because we all know everything Wikipedia states is true!):

"The massacre prompted the state of Virginia to close legal loopholes that had previously allowed Cho, an individual adjudicated as mentally unsound, to purchase handguns without detection by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). It also led to passage of the first major federal gun control measure in more than 13 years."

I tried searching for what this gun control measure was, but was unable to find anything (or my Google-fu is just very lacking). Can anyone please inform me what this entails?

Thanks.

I think VA also had a loophole where mental health information(in this case the state deemed Cho dangerous to himself and others) didn't come up on a NICS check. Although you have to wonder, if the state deems someone a threat, why would he be walking around freely?

JDay
04-28-2010, 2:47 AM
As I recall it was a "fix" to the hold the NCIS places on people who have voluntary checked into full-time live-in psychactric counseling. In other words a NCIS gun hold was only placed on someone who had been forcibly taken into and kept for a duration but not those who had gone in because that thought they needed help. The law made it so that anyone who was in a mental facility got a NCIS hold regardless of self-checkin/checkout. I don't know the duration of the hold.

The Virginia Tech murderer had purchased his weapons legally and checked himself into psych counseling before the killing. So this law was supposted to correct that, he would have gotten the guns anyways IMHO.

And the article is probably correct in that it was a major gun control win but that was only because it was the only one I can recall for more than a decade since the 1994 AWB. The article fails to mention that this was sheparded by the NRA and the gun-controllers thought "there is more bad with this bill than good" according to an article I read at the time.

-Greg

Since when does the Naval Criminal Investigative Service place holds on firearms purchases? I think you meant to say NICS.

zukieast
04-28-2010, 4:09 AM
Being from back there the only other hurdle to purchasing a firearm in Virginia/MD was addition of a piece of paper authorizing the state police to check your mental health records.

MD still has a 10 day wait for a handgun and certain listed semi auto rifles. But there is no restriction on type of weapon and mags do not need to be pinned. Cant buy hi-cap mags in the state, but you can just go to the other states around it buy all you want and come home with them and not be in violation so long as you dont sell/transfer.

Virginia just added the paperwork but you can buy and walk the same day with handguns. "Assault Rifles" are treated like long guns so there is no wait. Just buy, pay the NICs check of $10 wait till it clears (about 10min) and walk.

Why things have to be so bass-ackwards in the PRC is mind boggling. I guess the citizens of CA are kids and we all need our parents in Sacramento to make sure we can survive!

gregorylucas
04-28-2010, 6:03 AM
Since when does the Naval Criminal Investigative Service place holds on firearms purchases? I think you meant to say NICS.

Oops! :o

-Greg

fonionrings
04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info. When I read "the first major federal gun control measure in more than 13 years," I thought it would be something huge and more directly affecting to citizens (i.e., me) that I had completely missed.

Not that the NICS improvement isn't a big deal, of course.