PDA

View Full Version : BOOM, bcg fail

ninjamaster
04-27-2010, 3:17 PM
Not sure of the circumstances yet but this was sent to be by a friend. I will find out more.
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9069/boomk.jpg

ElvenSoul
04-27-2010, 3:22 PM
What where they shooting out of that poor rifle?

ninjamaster
04-27-2010, 3:28 PM
3 guesses: 1 fired out of battery, 2 bad hand load, 3 bad head spacing(rare)
I'm waiting for a response with the facts though.

bender152
04-27-2010, 3:30 PM
I hope no one was hurt.

Infidel
04-27-2010, 3:32 PM
Bummer I hope no one was hurt... let us know the details

Noobert
04-27-2010, 3:33 PM
this was on CGN before, don't remember what happened though

Bug Splat
04-27-2010, 3:37 PM

yeah it was and it was just beat to death over what caused it like if figuring it out would some how bring it back to life. I gave up reading on what exactly happened but I think everyone agreed that BCG and recevier is toast. Sh*t happens ;).

Josh3239
04-27-2010, 3:43 PM

Yep I posted it. I believe the consensus amongst several forums was a live round followed a squib. IIRC, the bolt group wouldn't closing because of the squib until the guy forced it with a forward assist. Another serious failure thanks to the forward assist.

five.five-six
04-27-2010, 3:46 PM

not likely, with many powders and projectiles, max load is a compressed load... while not "hard to do" you kinda have to want to make a over pressure round in .223

ninjamaster
04-27-2010, 3:50 PM
Ah ok. I thought it just happened because my bud sent it in an email and said, "my neighbor just sent me this, I will find out more about it and let you know."

five.five-six
04-27-2010, 3:58 PM
Ah ok. I thought it just happened because my bud sent it in an email and said, "my neighbor just sent me this, I will find out more about it and let you know."

this just happened yesterday, I know the guys ex girlfriend, she told me that on the way home from the range, the DOJ landed a helocopter in front of his car on the freway and took all the guys hi-cap magazines

true story

ninjamaster
04-27-2010, 4:05 PM
Considering I got the email a couple days ago, hmmm

Bug Splat
04-27-2010, 4:07 PM
this just happened yesterday, I know the guys ex girlfriend, she told me that on the way home from the range, the DOJ landed a helocopter in front of his car on the freway and took all the guys hi-cap magazines

true story

:rofl2:

-hanko
04-27-2010, 4:09 PM
. IIRC, the bolt group wouldn't closing because of the squib until the guy forced it with a forward assist.

Another serious failure thanks to the forward assist.
Based on the first sentence, the second might read...

"Another serious failure thanks a user with zero training and/or common sense".

-hanko

PolishMike
04-27-2010, 4:39 PM
Its out of battery in the pic...

bohoki
04-27-2010, 4:46 PM
at least the lower looks ok

i1800collect
04-27-2010, 4:53 PM
More pictures and the story behind them:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/11/20/colt-ar-15-kaboom/

http://imgur.com/w6gtR.jpg

http://imgur.com/xmMu6.jpg

Colt AR-15 KABOOM

Parallel got the fright of his life when participating in a Magpul Dynamics "Dynamic Carbine" course.

The drill was firing from the urban prone, weapon side position. We loaded and made ready and I waited for the threat command. When the threat command came I went into the urban prone position and fired. On the second round the upper receiver blew apart. It took a few seconds for me to get oriented and realize what had just happened. I checked to see that there wasn’t another round in the chamber and raised my hand to let Travis know there was a problem. Travis was already on the way as he said that he thought that I was on fire from all of the smoke that was rising from me. There was a medic who checked me out real good to ensure that some shrapnel hadn’t penetrated my skin anywhere without my being aware of it. I sustained only minor injuries (a bruise on the left forearm and some flash burn to the face).

The 6920 is on its way to Colt Manufacturing for analysis as of this posting. I will certainly post the results of the analysis as well as the resolution when that information is available. I would appreciate it if the wild guesses as to the cause of this failure were withheld until Colt Manufacturing has had a chance to check it out. I will give a few facts that will help to keep the conjecture to a minimum. The barrel was clear before and after the event and the ammo used was factory XM193. I don't know if the brass was ejected, it appeared to be, however, there could have been part of the brass case left in the chamber, I was too busy trying to get back to training to check, then the gun went via FEDEX to Colt before I had the chance to check because I was trying to catch up on all of the work I had neglected while out running and gunning.

CHS
04-27-2010, 5:12 PM
XM193.. Makes perfect sense.

This would make at least the 4th rifle I've seen that's blown up due to XM193.

ar15barrels
04-27-2010, 5:14 PM

The bolt's lugs are still there.
That's an ammo-related problem.

ar15barrels
04-27-2010, 5:16 PM

true story

:rofl2:

ar15barrels
04-27-2010, 5:18 PM
Its out of battery in the pic...

Because the high pressure of the shot went down the gas tube and moved the carrier back until the splitting of the carrier would no longer allow it to continue rearward.

It's NOT possible for the hammer to strike the firing pin against the primer on an AR unless the bolt is locked into battery.

neal0124
04-27-2010, 6:02 PM
XM193.. Makes perfect sense.

This would make at least the 4th rifle I've seen that's blown up due to XM193.

What's the deal with xm193? How/why does it grenade rifles?

CHS
04-27-2010, 6:09 PM
What's the deal with xm193? How/why does it grenade rifles?

I have no idea. I'm assuming very poor quality control leading to higher pressures, or low pressures leading to a squib, even though the OP says it wasn't a squib.

All I know is I've physically held in my hand at least 3 blown-up rifles displaying the same signs as this one, and all of them were blown-up during XM193 use.

neal0124
04-27-2010, 7:30 PM
I have no idea. I'm assuming very poor quality control leading to higher pressures, or low pressures leading to a squib, even though the OP says it wasn't a squib.

All I know is I've physically held in my hand at least 3 blown-up rifles displaying the same signs as this one, and all of them were blown-up during XM193 use.

Ok. Maybe it was rejected batches that were then sold as surplus. Now I'm afraid to buy any 193, I only have one ar-15 (for now) and don't want to blow it or myself up yet.

J/K.....I'll probably buy some xm193, I'll just cross my fingers when I pull the trigger.

five.five-six
04-27-2010, 8:06 PM
I'll probably buy some xm193, I'll just cross my fingers when I pull the trigger.

^ Darwin awards hopeful

neal0124
04-27-2010, 8:14 PM

true story

Really? They stopped a car on the freeway with a helicopter to take a dudes high cap mags.

Is this really a true story?

I didn't insult you or wish you bodily harm/death when you made a stupid comment, so I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from doing it to me when I joke around in a post.

five.five-six
04-27-2010, 8:18 PM
well, to be truthful, he was on his way home from the reno gun show where he just bought them, unfortunately he did not notice the CADOJ shadowing him when he bought them

true story

Sinestr
Anyone wanna buy some xm193 :o

i1800collect
Really? They stopped a car on the freeway with a helicopter to take a dudes high cap mags.

Is this really a true story?

I didn't insult you or wish you bodily harm/death when you made a stupid comment, so I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from doing it to me when I joke around in a post.

it was a joke referencing this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=294662

his darwin award comment also seemed like a joke.

:chill pill:

five.five-six
04-27-2010, 8:23 PM
UR no fun^

fullspeed1
04-27-2010, 8:27 PM
And it's not even a GLOCK!:eek:

limitdown
04-27-2010, 8:53 PM
Any gun can KB, even the venerable M14 semi-auto (ie M1A)
http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb/762d15.jpg
http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb.html

It's just that there are so many more AR15's out there than M14's
And likewise with handguns, so many more Glocks out there than H&Ks and Sigs

killshot44
04-27-2010, 9:00 PM
Anyone wanna buy some xm193 :o

Whatcha got? I love me some XM193! :)

xibunkrlilkidsx
04-27-2010, 9:12 PM
Any gun can KB, even the venerable M14 semi-auto (ie M1A)
http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb/762d15.jpg
http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb.html

It's just that there are so many more AR15's out there than M14's
And likewise with handguns, so many more Glocks out there than H&Ks and Sigs

holy crap thats a real nice failure right there.