PDA

View Full Version : Removing a flash hider

hamster
04-27-2010, 1:40 PM
I want to replace my A2 flash hider with a phantom. I tried holding the barrel in place with a vice grip but i couldn't get the A2 loose before the my vice grip lost traction (i had the barrel wrapped with a towel). Do i need a special tool to hold things in place or do i just need more muscle?

shark92651
04-27-2010, 2:06 PM
Dumb question, but is it a 16" barrel (i.e. flash-hider not welded)? Use of a bench vise is best. If not, put your upper on your lower and then sit on it in a padded chair. Turn counter-clockwise and it should come off.

hamster
04-27-2010, 2:21 PM
It's a 16" and it shouldn't be welded... i didn't see any weld marks. I'll do the chair method... i was going to try it yesterday but was unsure if i might unscrew the barrel or something from the upper receiver.

Bug Splat
04-27-2010, 2:30 PM
I would ditch the vise grips and use either a Armorers wrench or any other open ended wrench (even adjustable is fine).

I have used barrel and action blocks in a vise but found just laying it down fully assembled on the carpet and using the wrench to turn it off works fine in most cases. A wrap or two of electrical tape on the flashhider will help with preventing scratch marks. If you still cant get it off consider soaking it in kroil oil over night or if that does not work try a little propane torch on the flash hider to expand it. Be sure to clean off all oil before heating it though ;)

CHS
04-27-2010, 4:23 PM
i was going to try it yesterday but was unsure if i might unscrew the barrel or something from the upper receiver.

You can't unscrew the barrel from the receiver. A barrel nut holds it in place and is torqued much tighter than the flash hider. You won't hurt anything by using the "sit on your rifle" method.

ar15barrels
04-27-2010, 4:27 PM
You can't unscrew the barrel from the receiver. A barrel nut holds it in place and is torqued much tighter than the flash hider. You won't hurt anything by using the "sit on your rifle" method.

Actually, you CAN unscrew the barrel from the receiver.
I had someone send me an upper with a loose barrel once.
Whoever had assembled the barrel extension on to the barrel had not torqued it properly.
The indexing pin does not actually go into the barrel shank on factory barrels.
The indexing pin only presses into the extension.
The barrel un-threaded right from the extension and was loose when I received the upper.

CHS
04-27-2010, 4:35 PM
Actually, you CAN unscrew the barrel from the receiver.
I had someone send me an upper with a loose barrel once.
Whoever had assembled the barrel extension on to the barrel had not torqued it properly.

Ok, correction:

You can't unscrew the barrel from the receiver. Unless the upper/barrel is a POS or manufactured by a moron :)

Beelzy
04-27-2010, 4:53 PM
One must use a bench vise to remove the flash hider as well as to install one.

Use a couple of blocks of wood to cushion the barrel while doing so.

elrcastor
04-27-2010, 6:30 PM
i just used the following in a vice, to swap out my a2 flash hider with a phantom and it worked great.

http://www.riflegear.com/p-350-dpms-panther-receiver-claw.aspx

dfletcher
04-27-2010, 6:53 PM
If your barrel has the standard AR front sight it's held in place with pins, pretty solid. Wrap it in a vise and give the FH a twist, it will come off.

killshot44
04-27-2010, 8:25 PM
I have the tools and vice but no "holder" to held the barrel secure enough. Luckily my local gunsmith is nearby and will time my brakes properly for a tip.

gemini1
04-27-2010, 9:06 PM
If your barrel has the standard AR front sight it's held in place with pins, pretty solid. Wrap it in a vise and give the FH a twist, it will come off.

What he just said.