PDA

View Full Version : FF hand rails and 100 yards

creampuff
03-01-2006, 11:09 AM
I am thinking about adding railed hand guards, and I like the convenience of not having to disassemble the barrel or cut the delta ring, if I purchase the surefire or 2 piece YHM. The downside, of course, is that they are not free floated.

Do I really gain an accuracy advantage on my 16 inch midlength, by using a free float rail, if I only shoot paper at 100yrds at the local range?

thanks,

Mute
03-01-2006, 11:12 AM
No. Though if you mount an optic on a non-free float rail, you will most likely have problems maintaining a consistent zero with the optic, especially if you have to remove the optic and remount it for any reason.

ohsmily
03-01-2006, 11:15 AM
the 2 piece non free floated handguards will shift position just like the 2 piece plastic ones do. So, it is not suitable to mount an optic to the forward rail. But for lights and vertical grips etc, they are fine.

I like the free float ones myself, they feel more solid. ANd btw, you don't have to "cut" the delta ring, you just need a couple of tools.

creampuff
03-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks everyone,
At the most, I will be putting a vertical grip and maybe a light on the front. The only optics I have plans on, will be a Eotech. But that won't be mounted on the hand rails.