PDA

View Full Version : Preferences for Left-Handed Users .223 Uppers

Mig29Arms
03-01-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm left-handed. Just curious for anyone that is left-handed. Most of the manufacturers out there make right handed uppers except for Stag.

Has anyone left-handed had any issues shooting right handed uppers? Using a brass deflector or not?

Does getting a left hand upper make a big difference in safety or comfort?

I'm debating whether I should purchase a left handed upper or just a brass deflector for the standard right handed models.

NRAhighpowershooter
03-01-2006, 11:49 AM
I am a Lefty and have no troubles shooting ANY rifle. The M1A and the Garand are more Lefty friendly than most.. and the AR is no problem for us Lefties :cool:

Mud
03-01-2006, 12:54 PM
NRAhighpowershooter is "right" on w/ the AR Uppers being no problem for Lefty's. In fact, I like being able to look directly into the Ejection Port to verify any feeding issues. Now I wouldn't suggest getting an Upper without the Case Deflector though...... OUCH:(

Stanze
03-01-2006, 1:03 PM
DPMS makes a lefty upper, but the Stag is a mirror image of a AR upper other than the dust cover being on the the top.

I'd go with the Stag, or just use a right-handed upper.

superhondaz50
03-01-2006, 2:05 PM
i'm not left handed, but I know stag makes a really nice left handed upper, with a left side eject. I think the price is some what reasonable too.

creampuff
03-01-2006, 2:46 PM
NRAhighpowershooter is "right" on w/ the AR Uppers being no problem for Lefty's. In fact, I like being able to look directly into the Ejection Port to verify any feeding issues. Now I wouldn't suggest getting an Upper without the Case Deflector though...... OUCH:(
Will the brass eject directly into a lefty's forehead, or come close? Just curious.

Mud
03-01-2006, 2:57 PM
The Case Deflector on almost all modern AR Uppers does a great job of re-directing Spent Cases away from a Lefty, the Older Colt Uppers without the Case Deflector will have a tendancy to leave little Black circles on your forehead or nice HOT Brass down your shirt!:D Out of the 4 Uppers I have (all w/ Brass Deflector) none of them eject cases at the shooter. Any fellow Leftys w/ other experience???

Omega13device
03-01-2006, 2:58 PM
Will the brass eject directly into a lefty's forehead, or come close? Just curious.

I'm a lefty and have never been hit by ejecting brass. The brass deflector does its job on that score.

The right-handed version works just fine for lefties so I never saw the need to have a left-handed upper. The other thing that bothered me is if you decide to sell it, the market for a left-handed upper is a lot smaller than that for right-handed.

SI-guru
03-01-2006, 4:49 PM
I think the ambi fire selector is the single most important thing to a leftie shooter on AR platform. Upper is not an issue.

anotherted
03-01-2006, 6:36 PM
the Older Colt Uppers without the Case Deflector will have a tendancy to leave...nice HOT Brass down your shirt!:D

Reminds me of that scene from Blackhawk down where the Sgt got rained on with hot brass from the BH minigun above him, OUCH!!!