PDA

View Full Version : Lefties:Opinions on side charging bolt carrier?

Spaceghost
04-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Ok, everyone that is left handed or sometimes shoots left handed knows what a problem using the charging handle can be on an AR. Reaching up and over with right hand sucks, especially if optics are in the way. Anyone have experience with the side charging bolt made by Young? Product here:

http://www.youngmanufacturing.net/product-info.php?pid78.html

Thinking of picking one up to test out. Did some googling, but didn't find any solid info. Thoughts?

CHS
04-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Just keep in mind you'll have to remove material from the receiver forward of the ejection port cover to allow the carrier to follow the bolt fully into battery.

tomd1584
04-27-2010, 1:02 PM
what about an ambi charging handle? I'm left handed and dont really have a problem. I just practice dryfiring/malfunction/manipulations ALOT.

I dont even use the ambi charging handle, but i'd try the ambi charging handle before i dropped money on a side charger...

ChrisDM
04-27-2010, 1:03 PM
I'm a lefty, and my charging handle is basically ambidextrous, like it is on most AR's. It comes straight back over the top of the buttstock.

L4D
04-27-2010, 1:16 PM
Im a lefty but shoot right handed and like you I would reach over the top with my right hand with a regular charging handle, its annoying. So I dropped some dough on a left handed side charger which feels waaayyy much better for a lefty like me. I've shot a young side charger and that feels a whole lot better than the standard charger. Standard designs leave lefties at a disadvantage sometimes. It took me forever to learn how to use a fork, spoon and pencil ;)

Spaceghost
04-27-2010, 1:29 PM
Damn, I was hoping that wasn't the case.

Just keep in mind you'll have to remove material from the receiver forward of the ejection port cover to allow the carrier to follow the bolt fully into battery.

maddesign
04-27-2010, 5:43 PM
i'm righty but shoot lefty, no problems at all with a Stag lefty upper...

ChrisO
04-27-2010, 6:21 PM
Never had a problem with a regular AR and I'm a lefty...

evidens83
04-27-2010, 8:03 PM
Never had a problem with a regular AR and I'm a lefty...

Me too. And I use the regular CH as well. I haven't done any carbine classes so maybe I haven't noticed yet :confused: