PDA

View Full Version : researching new hunting rifle

StudioDison
04-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Ive been bouncing back and forth on what type and cal hunting rifle to get. I have decided I really want a lever action. Im looking at the Browning BLR series. I would like something that is effective from pig to elk, and an effective range of out to 450 yards. So I was looking at the 270WSM, 308Win, 30-06, or the 7mm mag. That are your thoughts? Im sure alot will say get a bolt action but that's not what I'm looking for at this time.
Thanks for all inputs.

FLIGHT762
04-27-2010, 11:51 AM
If this will be a serious hunting rifle and not plinking rifle, I would look at the 325 WSM. It has a lot of power for a short, lever rifle. There isn't a lot of loads out for the 325 WSM like there is for other calibers, but if you hand load, there's a good selection of 8MM bullets out there. It is a powerful cartridge.

If you're going to use it as a weekend shooting rifle and an occasional hunting rifle, then I'd go with the calibers you listed. I personally like the 270 WSM. Just remember, the WSM calibers have a limited number of factory loads.

Fjold
04-27-2010, 4:46 PM
A lever gun will never be as accurate as a bolt gun. 450 yards is a long way for shooting game animals and you want to use the most accurate gun possible for that kind of shooting. Minor variations in range estimation and wind strengths magnify hold errors at those types of distances.

primers
04-27-2010, 8:26 PM
Ive been looking at the BLR series in a 300wsm for Elk...I like the ballistics and the rifle with a Zeiss Conquest is a lot lighter than my older Stainless Stalker....By reloading, i can cover a lot of species with one rifle...Good luck

jmzhwells
04-27-2010, 8:30 PM
If you like the wsm's I would have to say, get the 300 wsm. I have a 270 wsm and it seems that the 300 is more abundant, more factory loads, more info more guns. The 300 is probably next for me.

StudioDison
04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanx for the replys. I have looked at the. Marlin 308mx and the 338mx. I have also looked at the Savage 99. One question I have is with the Marlins, they have a tubular magazine. I thought those were not good for "pointy" bulllets. secondly, what effective range can you get with those Marlins as well as the BLR in 270wsm, 300wsm, 308win, and 7mm mag? I had posted i'd like 450 yards but realisticly I really only need out to maybe 300 yards. Of course, I need lead-free ammo. This would be a seriouse hunting rig. I have an Ar for plinking as well as my 25 year old Marlin 60 that still is a tac driver at 100 yards!
Thanx again in advance for your advice.

winxp_man
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
either the .308 win or the .300 will do

i wish i remember what forum this guy posted a ELK killed BY A .308 at 500 somethin yards and made a killer hole in the animal....... if im not mistaking somewhere in the 560 range i think..... its shot placement that will kill the animal. at 650 yards the .308 has a velocity of 1613 and 1011 FT/LBS thats with a 175gr bullet with a muzzle vel of 2620............. you think that wont kill with these specs ?

but for better range try the .300WSM

StudioDison
04-29-2010, 7:01 AM
I've looked into all the calibers. I seam to always revert to the 308win. I understand that there are better performing rounds, but the large availbility from mil-surplus to match is a real good selling point. Besides, out to 300 yards for a 308 lever gun should be just fine right?

Trapper
04-29-2010, 9:08 AM
I've found the BLR to be much more accurate than more traditional lever actions such as the Winchester & Marlin but not equal to the accuracy of a good bolt gun. I have to agree with Frank, 450yds is a very long shot to take when hunting. A miscalculation in wind, incline or any movement from the animal could result in a miss or even worse, a wounded animal. For that reason I try to limit my shots to 200yds or less when hunting. The 270wsm is an excellent cartridge but if you are hunting in the condor zone many factory twist rates are too slow for the 150gr Barnes tsx and you may be limited to 130gr bullets. My go to rifle is a stainless 700 in 30-06 with the 168gr TTSX.

Trapper
04-29-2010, 9:16 AM
Many people post about big game animals taken at distances of 500yds or more, what you don't read about are the hundreds of animals that are wounded and lost due to poorly placed shots. There are simply too many variables involved for me to consider taking a shot out past 250yds on big game. If you take your time, and use the wind stalking to within 200yds is not that difficult.