View Full Version : AR style pistols?

1 SIG fan
04-27-2010, 9:01 AM
It seems like most build using a standard style AR (not sure of name) using a buffer tube. It seems that a sig556 style w/o buffer tube would be advantageous. So, anyreason 'everyone' uses buffertube styles other then sig piston styles?

I assume the nearly $2000 cost and that you can't really build your own with sig parts plays in here.

Anything I'm missing? Is sholdering the buffer tube cruical for accuracy (even if your not suppsoed to on a pistol?)

Oh yeah, can you run your preban mags in a pistol?

04-27-2010, 9:05 AM
No you can't run any over 10 round mags in a pistol that has a magazine lock.

I've shot both. "Cheeking" the AR pistol has it's advantages. Why are we not supposed to?

04-27-2010, 9:30 AM
I am taking a guess here, but the reason most folks make AR pistols with traditional AR buffer tubes is simply due to the fact that is how the design of the AR is setup with the reliability of that setup.

You could try out a gas piston setup or (I've heard) a shortened bolt/tube assembly to decrease that length, but they are newer designs without the time proven reliability of the AR system.

Now if you want something inexpensive with a gas piston, look at the AK pistols which should fit the bill.

04-27-2010, 9:43 AM
I'd say, given your name, this question is a bit loaded. :D

I'm sure the Sig AR pistols are nice, but I think people (myself included) like the ability to customize their AR pistols and use commonly available parts. Also, some of those people can't afford to buy the whole thing at once. It's also kinda nice to "cheek" an AR pistol - definitely helps with the aiming. My Draco AK pistol doesn't have a tube extension (obviously) so I end up using forward pressure on a single point sling, which works very well, but takes a little getting used to...

04-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Price, availability, ease of use were my primary reasons. In addition, I can make an AR pistol lower for my own use from and 80% or less complete blank - I don't see any 80% SIG blanks out there (otherwise, I'd probably try it just to do it). :D

Whether the end of the buffer tube on an AR pistol touches the shoulder or not is immaterial - don't spread FUD. There's a difference between "the end of the buffer tube happens to touch my shoulder" and "designed to be fired from the shoulder". There is a letter from ATFE somewhere on this forum that actually OKs putting a crutch tip on the end of the buffer tube of an AR pistol.

04-27-2010, 10:06 AM
AR pistols are super-easy to aquire parts and accessories for and the buffer tube offers the advantage of "cheeking" (as 69mach1 pointed out) for stability and good sight picture.

I think AK and 552 pistols look cool, but I just can't imagine shooting them with any accuracy comparable to that of an AR pistol. AR pistols look super-scary, but they are also super-accurate and effective tools.

04-27-2010, 11:04 AM
I've used the Sig 556, it's fun. I've seen the Olympic ARms AR pistol and it has no buffer tube sticking out of the rear - exactly how is that done?

My interest in a 223 sized AR would be to use a Beowulf or other large caliber, or an AR 10 in 308 - now that would be a neat AR pistol and I don'tthink recoil would be at all bad. My 308 Encore has modest recoil with no brake.

04-28-2010, 7:54 AM
they no buffer tube is done in a similar fashion to the AK's buffer spring system, the piston rod had a spring inside it. so you still have a buffer spring, it is just in front of the bolt instead of behind it.