PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Box

Shintao
04-27-2010, 8:32 AM
So I am wondering what everyone's regimen is when the get a new gun right out of the box?

i1800collect
04-27-2010, 8:35 AM
Go to a range and shoot it.

evidens83
04-27-2010, 8:37 AM
First of all, welcome to Cal Guns. Whenever I bring home a new gun very first thing I always do is field strip it and inspect all of the components making sure everything is up to spec. Drop some oil on the rail and run a boresnake through the barrel. Besides that, I cant really do anything else but to take it out and shoot the damm thing :D

civilsnake
04-27-2010, 8:40 AM
I strip it and clean the packing oil off. Then lube it and shoot. That's it :)

teflondog
04-27-2010, 8:41 AM
I clean, lube, and shoot. Then repeat.

Shintao
04-27-2010, 8:45 AM
Thanks for all the quick replies. Is there something special you like to clean the packing oil off with? Gun scrub it or just wipe it off?

Chris M
04-27-2010, 8:46 AM
I strip it and clean the packing oil off. Then lube it and shoot. That's it :)

Ditto. I do this, not only to clean it, but also to get familiar with the workings of the firearm. I'm a tinkerer, and like to see how stuff works.

It's also good to find any flaws prior to firing it. I learned this the hard way with my 870. There was a small burr of metal on the inside of the slide causing a fairly deep scratch on the magazine tube. I removed the burr, and re-blued the scratch. After that experience, I seem to be a little anal-retentive when it comes to inspecting firearms (and other high $$$ items) that I purchase. You can't spot every problem at time of purchase.

zman
04-27-2010, 8:49 AM
So I am wondering what everyone's regimen is when the get a new gun right out of the box?

1. Open box
2. Admire new acquisition
3. Fondle said toy
4. Field strip & clean & lube
5. Get out & enjoy it
:)

Thanks for all the quick replies. Is there something special you like to clean the packing oil off with? Gun scrub it or just wipe it off?

Something like BreakFree CLP or Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner (my choice since it's almost odor-free) should do it.

biofire
04-27-2010, 9:28 AM
You guys actually shoot new guns? Don't they get dirty? ;)

Juice5610
04-27-2010, 9:39 AM
Guns? are you guys in the military or something? Civilians shouldnt have guns!

ojisan
04-27-2010, 9:56 AM
Open box.
Check for empty chamber.
Marvel that you actually have the darn thing after 10 days or more of waiting, and that CA does let you have these things.
READ OWNER'S MANUAL!
Break down gun, clean gun (and mags) as needed, run at least a patch or two down the bore.
Dry-fire at the TV for awhile to smooth up the trigger.
See if all the new accessories you purchased for the gun during the 10 day wait fit.
Check how much ammo you already have for it and conclude that more ammo is needed.
Go buy more ammo.
Go to range and shoot it at the earliest opportunity.

Start planning your next purchase.

metalhead357
04-27-2010, 10:13 AM

Change my underwear............:p

I hope that's ok for Calguns:confused:

Sinixstar
04-27-2010, 1:47 PM
It all depends. I tend to get to the range as quickly as possible. last 3 i've bought, they've seen the range before they've seen the inside of my house. hell - last two saw the range before they saw the inside of my car.

jgaffney
04-27-2010, 1:48 PM
I clean, lube, and shoot. Then repeat.

Ditto.

Clean
Lube
Shoot
Repeat as necessary

Oldnoob
04-27-2010, 2:13 PM
Clean, lube, shoot, clean, lube, take lots pictures, post in on Calguns and write a review on the gun.

22popnsplat
04-27-2010, 3:26 PM
the first thing I always do is completly disassmeble it down to the last screw because I can always make them work better than they left the factory , I then put all the peices in a shoe box and return it to the gun store for reassembly .

stix213
04-27-2010, 5:04 PM
I:
1) safety check
2) practice my grip of the gun
3) learn to use all buttons, safeties, etc without looking at the gun (local indoor range is fairly dark so this can be extremely helpful)
4) field strip / lube
5) test loading a magazine (while not putting into the gun)
6) take to the range or other safe location and test it out :)