PDA

View Full Version : Planning to buy a HK USP 45 and looking for some help.

VeNoM
04-27-2010, 5:20 AM
So as the title says I'm planning to purchase a new HK USP45 and what I was hoping to get help with is suggestions as to which model of the USP45 should i get cause I know that at least 2 or 3 exist and I'm not sure which are on the california approved list as I live in California.

So what model of the HKUSP45 do you guys suggest is the best that I can purchase in California and do you guys have any suggestions on where to go to purchase one to get a good price/deal?

From the research I have done so far it looks like the HK45 is not california legal but the HKUSP45 or HKUSP45F is, please correct me if I am wrong in this.

As always I appreciate your guys's 411 on all things gun related and the time you show me.

-VeNoM

drunktank
04-27-2010, 8:09 AM
Not sure if I understood you right, but the HK45 is an entirely different gun than the USP45. Listing your location would help us point somehwere local to buy one. Great gun, I was torn between a .45 and 9mm in variant one. Ended up with the 9, but with some regret now and then.

Ding126
04-27-2010, 8:20 AM
HK USPf Full size
USPc Compact

some are available with a stainless steel slide or the black coating

Variants 1-9 are available

1= decocking & saftey right side
2= left side
3=decocking only no safety
etc etc

If you are right handed I would suggest variant 1 ( most common set up )

USP's are also availalble in Expert, Elite & Tactical models but are rare in Ca and the costs are crazy if you find them. The Ultimate USP is the Mk23 SOCOM model...some are in CA..very expensive. Grip frame is pretty thick. would need to change out the threaded barrel for a non threaded ( ca law )

If you buy the HK USP45c compact you can use the HK45c mags which hold 10 rnds vs the USP mags hold 8

Do not confuse the HK USP with the HK45...they are two different models and the HK45's are off list (last I checked ) and will cost almost double the price in Ca than the free states.

Good luck and you have made a wise choice
Mike

I have been a USP fan since my 1st pistol in 95-96...have had every model except the Elite model..which I don't care for the look

Ding126
04-27-2010, 8:26 AM
Also all HK weapons and most parts & accessories have a 2 letter date code
found on the rifles receiver or the pistols slide & mag bodies

example: AE = 04 or 2004
BA = 10 or 2010

A B C D E F G H I K
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

teflondog
04-27-2010, 9:34 AM
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

For a home defense gun I'd go for the full sized USP 45 since it has fixed sights and handles recoil better than the Compact model.

For target practice I'd get the USP 45 Expert for its adjustable sights, longer barrel, and match trigger.

Black Majik
04-27-2010, 11:38 AM
You have 4 options; the compact, fullsize, Expert and Elite when it comes to the USP. The Expert and Elite will come with a match trigger which significantly improves the trigger, but it still isn't fantastic.

While the HK45 isn't on the approved list, you can still find it in the classifieds for a hefty premium.

VeNoM
04-27-2010, 3:54 PM
So is the full size and the expert pretty much the same body? The expert has the bette trigger but I definitely want one that handles recoil very well. I am not very interested in compact models, I have large hands so Full size is what I like.

drunktank
04-27-2010, 4:32 PM
Not to nitpick, but just trying to add info, the MK23 is the military version as mention, and the Mark 23 is the civilian version. It's got a different stamped slide and SAAMI barrel.

The USP45's grip is a tad bigger than compared to the 9mm/.40. The fullsize 9mm's front checkering is slightly more aggressive.

If you can, try out the LEM trigger, or better yet the light LEM. Good Luck with your choice.

sammy
04-27-2010, 4:34 PM
I have a HK USP Expert that you are welcome to try. I am going out to USI in Concord Sunday afternoon. PM me if interested. Sammy

softmentor
04-27-2010, 4:55 PM
the expert and elite models have longer barrels. Unless you are getting the gun for competition shooting, I would not recomend them. I like the HK USP 45 fullsize.
Here is a page that gives some info about all HK handguns
http://hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=6:the-pistols&Itemid=5&layout=default
the HK UPS 45 full size or the HK UPS 45 compact are good choices and the major difference is how does it fit your hand. I have large hands and the full size is great in my hand. I tried a lot of different models at the firing range before I settled on the HK UPS 45 full size. the main reason I chose it is that, for my hand, and what ever makes me shoot the way I do, I shoot it more accurately than any other I've tried.
where to buy? CDNN has great prices, check their price and figure in shipping then see if your local HK dealer will meet the price. For magazines, no one comes close to CDNN prices for factory mags. Don't waste your money on non-factory mags.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/hk2.html

Colt-45
04-27-2010, 5:06 PM
So as the title says I'm planning to purchase a new HK USP45 and what I was hoping to get help with is suggestions as to which model of the USP45 should i get cause I know that at least 2 or 3 exist and I'm not sure which are on the california approved list as I live in California.

So what model of the HKUSP45 do you guys suggest is the best that I can purchase in California and do you guys have any suggestions on where to go to purchase one to get a good price/deal?

From the research I have done so far it looks like the HK45 is not california legal but the HKUSP45 or HKUSP45F is, please correct me if I am wrong in this.

As always I appreciate your guys's 411 on all things gun related and the time you show me.

-VeNoM

If you have dad or one of your granpas living outside the state you can have an HK45 shipped in.

jonnyt16
04-27-2010, 5:20 PM
I keep waiting for HK to ditch their stupid magazine release on the trigger guard idea so I can finally buy a USP.

nosuchagency
04-27-2010, 5:35 PM
if you have an eye for the compact, you'll want to rent one first as the recoil is a bit stout, imo... is pistol going to be mainly for target and home defense? if so, i think you'll get more enjoyment out'a a full-size version.

hayesman76
04-27-2010, 6:01 PM
So is the full size and the expert pretty much the same body? The expert has the bette trigger but I definitely want one that handles recoil very well. I am not very interested in compact models, I have large hands so Full size is what I like.

Although the USP Compact .45 bears the word "compact," and some even refer to it as a "subcompact," I find it significantly larger (and heavier) than, say, a Glock subcompact pistol. In fact, I wonder whether the USP Compact .45 should even be considered to be a true "compact". Unlike, say, a Glock subcompact where the shooter may only be able to keep two fingers on the (quite short) grip when shooting, with the HK USP Compact .45 it's easy for me to keep three not-so-skinny fingers on the USP Compact .45's grip -- and that's without using an extended magazine, which would be required to do so in the case of a Glock subcompact. So If I were you I'd at least try to hold a USP Compact .45 before deciding it'd be too small for your large hands. But whatever you decide to buy, you can't really go wrong as the HK is a quality gun!

B Strong
04-27-2010, 6:40 PM
It all depends on what use you intend to put it to.

I have an Expert in .45 w/ adjustable nights, and I couldn't be happier.

If you're looking for a carry gun, the compact would be the way to go.

huckberry668
04-27-2010, 7:57 PM
I have HK USP Elite, Expert and Tactical in 45. I had to put a non-threaded (Jarvis) barrel on the Tactical to make it CA legal. They are all great shooters. Mine are all capable of consistant sub 2" groups at 25 yards.

In your case, I'd recommend getting the Expert. It's the right size, pretty much fit all purposes, has all options you'd want, easy to find holsters for and cost not much more than standard model.

Here is the plus and minus on them:

1. Plus - all have adjustable sights and great comp triggers. I love the ability to load the pistol with the safety on. Accuracy on par with 1911s costing twice as much or more.

2. Elite - ambi-safety, long sight radius for better accuracy work, 6" plus barrel for higher velocity. Full size holster still work but slightly cumbersom.

3. Expert - ambi-safety, 5.2" barrel and longer slide. Just the right size in my opinion. It feels no bigger than 1911.

4. Tactical - about 5.1" barrel. same sight radius as the standard model but sights are much too high to be holstered in some of the molded holsters, single sided safety.

5. My biggest gripe on the USP is the stupid HK rail. Very limited accessories for it without using some kind of adaptor. Whoever designed the fully enclosed rail with no cross slot should be taken out and shot in my opinion!

UserM4
04-27-2010, 8:27 PM
FYI, Streamlight TLR-3 is available in USP fit models without adapters.

huckberry668
04-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks for that but still, very limited in choices.

Sobriquet
04-27-2010, 11:34 PM
I keep waiting for HK to ditch their stupid magazine release on the trigger guard idea so I can finally buy a USP.

That's one of the best things about the manual of arms. You don't have to change your grip at all to drop the mag. If you're trying to use your thumb, you're doing it wrong. Try it with your middle or trigger finger and join the HK love.

My suggestion is to get the USP45 full size. You can have the match or LEM trigger installed on it, it's a perfect home defense weapon, and depending on your build, it could be carried once we sort out CCW.

If you're new to firearms, make sure you understand the price and availability of .45acp ammo versus 9mm or .40s&w. If this is your first gun, a USP or P2000 in 9mm may be the way to go.

1911Operator
04-27-2010, 11:34 PM
I held my friends full size HK 45 and it was HUUUUGEEEE. I would get myself a compact hk 45. those are niiiiiceee

darkjedi351
04-27-2010, 11:46 PM
make sure you hold one first cause the 45 usp is quite a bit fatter than the 9mm/.40 fullsize usp's.
like the post above says. it's huge.
check out the compact 45 or fullsize 40. or if you can find a fullsize ppt hk45. they have a 45 compact size grip

darkjedi351
04-27-2010, 11:48 PM

WRONG, it's not going anywhere! use your index finger, fastest reloads w/o changing your grip.

eccvets
04-27-2010, 11:50 PM
if you wanna use it for target pratice and have a nice trigger, get the elite. If you wanna carry, get a compact or full size. The mark 23 is hella sweet but what you may not know is that it is as long as a desert eagle is. its also the sweetest gun ever so I highly suggest picking one up if you have the means. It will run you anywhere from 1800-2200 bucks and if your paying that much I suggest you buy new. Actually, its designed to fire 45 super which is +P ammo and a lot of it (at least 30,000 rounds without failure and 2k-6k between hangups/cleanings) so you will probally be fine buying used unless the guy abused his gun. The trigger on the tatical and elite is actually softer/lighter then the Mark23 and there is less overtravel then the mark 23 as well but they are not designed to last as long. I really did like the USP series and was always able to keep them inside the size of an orange at like 25 feet or so but when I shot a Mark23, I was able to put a few bullets thru the same hole, the others were touching at 25 feet and I'm not the best shot in the world (not bad but not an everyday bullseye shooter). I'm sure I'd be a bit bigger group at 25 yards but this was my first time ever shooting a Mark23 so I don't think thats too shabby. IDK how the tatical shoots or the elite but I'm sure their pretty good. The Mark 23 also feels more metal then plastic (its quite odd), when you feel the weight and fit and finish of a Mark23, it makes a tatical or the elite like flimsy airsoft gun... This also makes the Mark23 recoil (which is a .45acp) feel less then a 9mm. Lastly, some people do say the axis of the USP series makes the gun snap up more then ususal but I dont think its that bad at all. All in all, an HK usp in .45 is not gonna be the smallest carry gun.

P.S. You can put a match trigger in any USP but it will cost ya a bit of money. You might as well get the tatical which comes with the match trigger at the same price... and hey, its a tatical! Meh, the usp have a great trigger (even on the standard USP; I use to think the trigger on the standard USP was pretty damn sweet compared to glocks, berettas, cz's, and a lot of other handguns out there before I shot the more advanced USPs).

UserM4
04-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Where are you guys getting your info that the grip on the .45 is larger than the 9? That's completely wrong information.

I have a fullsize 45 and a fullsize 9 right in front of me with calipers. They both measure 1.22" at the widest part of the grip. And the width from front to back is identical too at 2.00" just under the mag release. The dimensions are identical except that the grip hangs a quarter inch longer at the bottom of the .45.

Sobriquet
04-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Where are you guys getting your info that the grip on the .45 is larger than the 9? That's completely wrong information.

I have a fullsize 45 and a fullsize 9 right in front of me with calipers. They both measure 1.22" at the widest part of the grip. And the width from front to back is identical too at 2.00" just under the mag release. The dimensions are identical except that the grip hangs a quarter inch longer at the bottom of the .45.

For the record...

Differences in the USP45 from the 9mm and .40 cal versions are:

.16 inches (4mm) longer
.28 inches (6.8mm) taller with magazine
.16 lbs. heavier than USP40
Comparable in trigger reach, width at grip and slide and grip circumference.
The USP45 was made available for sale in May, 1995.

http://hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56:the-usp45&catid=6:the-pistols&Itemid=5

UserM4
04-28-2010, 12:15 AM
BTW, that height of .28" difference, as listed on HKPRO.com, doesn't come only from the magazine hanging lower. The slide on the .45 is taller as well. Maybe 1/8". But the thickness of the slide is identical at 1.138"

VeNoM
04-28-2010, 1:23 AM
Okay so with some research and what everyone has responded with here I think I am planning to go with the Expert.

The experts stock trigger is good? Or should I look to replace it?

I intend to use the gun for home defense and at the shooting range so accuracy and lower recoil are my friends.

softmentor
04-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Okay so with some research and what everyone has responded with here I think I am planning to go with the Expert.

The experts stock trigger is good? Or should I look to replace it?

I intend to use the gun for home defense and at the shooting range so accuracy and lower recoil are my friends.

The stock trigger on that gun is the match trigger and is great.

Also, regarding the magazine release. I like to shoot IPSC matches at my local club. I'm not all that fast, usually finishing in the deep middle. I shoot a HK USP 45 full size v.1 stock 10 round mags. The only stage I ever had the best time in was 12 targets all at 2 yards, 2 rounds per target. that means 2 reloads so 2 times finding the mag release and loading a new mag. Note, I do NOT have a custom mag well, or the HK funnel well, just the stock HK USP 45. Since a stage like this is all about trigger pull and mag changes, I guess the HK can hold it's own on those 2 counts.
Just for those who are interested in such things, I loaded an 11th round up and counted 10 rounds before doing the mag change so the slide would not be locked back and I would not have to loose the bit of a second to drop the slide back. I also shot the 9th and 10th round of each mag with one hand while my off hand went to the holster to get the next mag. Turned out to be a winning strategy.
There are lots of folks who grouse about the HK trigger, and I will not presume to say it is the best, smoothest or fastest out there, but is it still very good. The trigger in the Expert will be "better" than the USP full size since it will be the match trigger. and the Mag release is in the perfect place and works perfectly without having to do a grip change to work it.
OH, and one more thing. As yet, I have never had a single failure in a match ever. (and only one that was mag related ever ever) with the HK USP 45. That's more than I can say for most the guns at our matches.
I think you will love your HK
happy shooting, and as always, stay safe

eccvets
04-28-2010, 4:13 PM
The stock trigger on that gun is the match trigger and is great.

yep, that is right. Same trigger as in the tatical although im not sure if its the same one as in the elite. either way its a great gun. I would highly suggest you trying to find one before you buy to either rent or borrow from a friend and shoot to see if you like it though. There is nothing which sucks more then blowing a grand on a gun, waiting 10 horrible days just to find out the gun doesn't fit you or you dont like the way it feels/shoots. Even though I have never heard anyone saying a Expert feels crappy, it might to you... At least go down to someplace which has one in stock and handle it for yourself (everyone's built differently and your hands are not the same size, shape, and strenght as everyone elses!). Don't ever let anyone talk you into buying a gun, you gotta want it for it for yourself to be worth it or your just compromising in the end (sorta like a wife...).

UserM4
04-28-2010, 4:55 PM
You can buy the Match Trigger and install it into any USP. http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-USP-Match-Trigger-Conversion-Kit-200p1039.htm

The Experts and Elites still have a longer sight radius and an o-ring on the barrel though so theoretically they'll still be more accurate.

teflondog
04-28-2010, 6:30 PM
You can buy the Match Trigger and install it into any USP. http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-USP-Match-Trigger-Conversion-Kit-200p1039.htm

The Experts and Elites still have a longer sight radius and an o-ring on the barrel though so theoretically they'll still be more accurate.

I managed to install it myself and it was a real PITA. Maybe it's just me but I found it way more tedious than detail stripping a 1911. If you're not mechanically inclined then I would recommend hiring a smith that's familiar with the USP instead of swapping out the trigger yourself.