PDA

View Full Version : FAL pistol grip question

50 Freak
03-01-2006, 1:54 AM
So does anyone know if the DOJ considers the pistol grip stub or nut off of a FAL or Rob Arm M-96 as a pistol grip?

I was under the school of thought that if you have a detachable mag FAL, you just remove the pistol grip. I know some models have a screw that sticks down under the receiver for fastening the PG to the receiver. Is that by definition a pistol grip?

Not interested in the fixed mag solution. If anyone has concrete info. Would love to hear it.

DV8
03-01-2006, 6:24 AM
I cant speak for the FAL but all the M96s I've seen have the stub/screw for the pistol grip and have been legal for sale. I think theres a letter from the DOJ on the Robarms site that specifically says its legal in that config so they must not be considering the stub/screw a pistol grip.

I havent been to their site in awhile, you can check it out to see it its still posted there.

-hanko
03-01-2006, 8:48 AM
So does anyone know if the DOJ considers the pistol grip stub or nut off of a FAL or Rob Arm M-96 as a pistol grip?

I was under the school of thought that if you have a detachable mag FAL, you just remove the pistol grip. I know some models have a screw that sticks down under the receiver for fastening the PG to the receiver. Is that by definition a pistol grip?

Not interested in the fixed mag solution. If anyone has concrete info. Would love to hear it.
Dunno' what the dog considers a 'pistol grip'.

If you think the pg stud is considered a grip, just get a Brit or Aussie lower...they're usually threaded for a screw that attaches the grip.

Other stuff...stripper clip top covers were fielded by a few countries. They're easy to load, much more so than a neutered AR. Plus, the pg holds the trigger guard to the receiver & the trigger guard holds the trigger return spring and plunger in place. Finally, fals are a pita to shoot without the pistol grip. With the pg, a metric mag release is just in front of your index finger...that positioning goes away without the pg. The result is changing mags becomes a two-handed job. Try a stripper clip.

-hanko

SI-guru
03-01-2006, 9:27 AM
Without the pistol grip, how do you hold your trigger plunger/spring ?

JPglee1
06-13-2006, 8:32 AM
Without the pistol grip, how do you hold your trigger plunger/spring ?

Doesn't come off with a metric lower, only an inch lower....

So this means legally I can pull the PG off my FAL, and pop the mags in and out legally just for fun?

JP

C.G.
06-13-2006, 9:45 AM
Doesn't come off with a metric lower, only an inch lower....

So this means legally I can pull the PG off my FAL, and pop the mags in and out legally just for fun?

JP

Yup, but for me it was a pain to shoot the FAL that way.

JPglee1
06-13-2006, 2:16 PM
Yup, but for me it was a pain to shoot the FAL that way.

Yah, but it will let me test all my mags legally and make sure they work, Ive had them since I was about 16-17 years old haha.

Thanks for the answers.

JP

P.S. What if you have a second lower with you, with a butthole stock on it, but NOT on the gun, is that OK as long as you don't put it on the gun with the detach mags, or is it best to not tempt fate?

Ford8N
06-13-2006, 4:20 PM

Pull out the piston and turn the gas valve to grenade and shoot as a single shot. If you go to a free state, convert back in about ten seconds.

SC_00_05
06-14-2006, 8:22 AM

I use mine with a sawed off pistol grip. Works great. I just cut the PG off at about 3/4 of the way up. That way, it still has a rest for the web of my hand and it holds in the trigger guard. I'm also from the school of thought though, that if it doesn't allow for a "pistol style grasp" with all the fingers being able to wrap around the grip then the web of the hand nonsense doesn't matter.