PDA

View Full Version : Out of state CCW in Ca

Mstrty
04-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Is there a law that stops Jerry Brown as AG from accepting out of state CCW licenses. I overheard today that the AG could if he wanted to force the CADOJ to accept out of state licenses. Fud or truth?

NiteQwill
04-26-2010, 11:48 PM
First I heard of this. :confused:

ke6guj
04-27-2010, 12:04 AM
I don't think it is up to the AG to "force" CADOJ to accept them. AFAIK, out-of-state CCWs don't meet the requirements of a 12050 exemption. The legislature would have to rewrite the PC to allow for OOS CCW permits.

socalblue
04-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Nope. Would require an amendment to PC 12050.

bwiese
04-27-2010, 12:10 AM
I don't think it is up to the AG to "force" CADOJ to accept them. AFAIK, out-of-state CCWs don't meet the requirements of a 12050 exemption. The legislature would have to rewrite the PC to allow for OOS CCW permits.

That sounds right to me. I don't think there's any facility in the law for honoring OOS CCW except for gov't employees (FBI etc.)

The OP prob heard a rumor in a gunshop.

Mstrty
04-27-2010, 12:24 AM
That sounds right to me. I don't think there's any facility in the law for honoring OOS CCW except for gov't employees (FBI etc.)

The OP prob heard a rumor in a gunshop.

That why I value CG advice. I was pretty sure that the AG was responsible for statewide standard application. This gentlemen was telling me the AG could prescribe an application that didnt require GC if he so choose. PC section 12051(a)(3)(A) requires the Attorney General to
prescribe a statewide standard application form for a CCW license
Quote is from most county CCW FAQ's.

ke6guj
04-27-2010, 12:48 AM
well, since PC 12050 states that the applicant must show good cause, and that the person "Is a resident of the county or a city within the county" in order for that Sheriff or Chief of Police to issue the CCW.

Since the PC requires "good cause" I don't even know if it would be legal for the AG to make a new application that did not ask for it. Even then, the PC still says that the issuer may issue, so the lack of that question doesn't make the application shall issue.

I guess that there isn't anything in 12050 that states that the issuer be a California Chief of Police or Sheriff. So, if that out-of-state COP/Sheriff wanted to issue resident CCWs to its residents, and complied with the requirements of 12050 while doing so, would that CCW permit be valid in CA?

Glock22Fan
04-27-2010, 8:02 AM
If you think of all the states that have recently changed things regarding CCW recognition, I'm thinking Colorado and Nevada for sure, it has all been done by passing new laws.