PDA

View Full Version : Importing a gift?

Evo
04-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm working (and residing temporarily) in Louisiana for a few months and have made a few friends.
I helped one of these friends out of jam and he offered me one of his pistols as a thank you gift. According to LA law he can legally transfer the pistol to me with no more than a handshake. There is no registration, no paperwork, no background check and no DROS here for PTPs.

So my question is... is filing a "firearm ownership record" form and sending in $19 all I have to do to legally possess this handgun in CA?

ke6guj
04-26-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm working (and residing temporarily) in Louisiana for a few months and have made a few friends.
I helped one of these friends out of jam and he offered me one of his pistols as a thank you gift. According to LA law he can legally transfer the pistol to me with no more than a handshake. There is no registration, no paperwork, no background check and no DROS here for PTPs.

So my question is... is filing a "firearm ownership record" form and sending in $19 all I have to do to legally possess this handgun in CA?no, multiple federal laws would have been violated in this transfer, and a CA "firearms ownership record" won't make those go away.

If you were an LA resident at the time of the transfer, then it would be legal federally, and when you came back to CA, you could register it via the "personal handgun importer" form, but since you are a CA resident, that is not legal to do so without using a CA dealer to facilitate the transfer.

Evo
04-27-2010, 7:34 AM
I could change my residency but it would be a pain, are there any other legal options? Could I send it to my father as a gift? AFAIK "Infrequent gifts or transfers to one's immediate family" are completely legal. I'd just borrow it from him when I want to shoot it.

The gun is off list so I couldn't go through my FFL.