PDA

View Full Version : anyone hunted at the spenceville wildlife area?

Hornet_RN
04-26-2010, 8:07 PM
i was just there last week to attempt to hunt for turkeys. heh...i was UNsuccessful, but i had a great time hiking around the countryside, especially since i currently live in suburbia.

the terrain at spenceville is not too difficult either. a lot of rolling hills, a few streams, a lot of open grassy areas, some trees here and there. also, i didn't really see anybody else out there except for maybe one other fellow turkey hunter.

i couldn't find one darn turkey though. i think i'll return for some squirrel hunting with my .22 bolt action when the season comes around (i found about 2 squirrels around there in the trees, i'm sure there will be more...heh). i heard this place is also pretty good for quails too, but i didn't find any hiking around there.

GVOllie
04-27-2010, 6:37 AM
I am usually driving through there 3-4 times a week. Most of the turkey you will find there (if any) is transplanted. It is also heavily hunted. Beale A.F.B. has a decent turkey population on it, so there is always some hope that they work their way into Spenceville. That area has decent enough quail, wood duck, rabbit, and coyote populations.

If you follow the road past the range all the way to the parking area at the end, you will see where the duck (and goose) hunters go. I have had some close encounters with coyotes in the area behind the range. I just flushed a quail by accident this last weekend, so I know they are around.

One other thing, there are lots of little ponds holding some very big bass if you remember to bring your fishing pole with you. I try to keep a collapsible one in my hunting backpack when I go there.

I always see lots of vehicles, but I have only run into another hunter out there once in all my times there. A couple of goose hunters let me know when I walked too close to the pond they had staked out. No drama, they just started talking loud enough for me to hear, and I just backed out the way I came and went around them. One of the bigger ponds near the end lot always seems to have a lot of people there, so I avoid it.

Give me a shout (or PM) if you ever want another hunter along!

center_x
04-27-2010, 4:29 PM
Its a horrible place to hunt........never go there. Ive never seen any sort of wildlife there..............wait..........I go there all the time :D, just dont tell anyone how good it is.

Hornet_RN
04-28-2010, 12:14 AM
sure thing guys, this honey hole will be our secret :p

see ya'll out on the field when squirrel hunting season comes around

GVOllie
04-28-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't know that I would go on about "how good it is". I can never seem to find what I want when I want it. If I have a .22, I never see rabbit or squirrel, but jump a lot of duck. When I have the 12GA with steel shot, I never see ducks. When all I have is birdshot, all I see is coyotes.

ShooterJohn
04-28-2010, 12:11 PM
You may want to check the regulations on the link I added below, as hunting is only allowed there September 1 - January 31.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region2/spenceville.html

Chris M
04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
You may want to check the regulations on the link I added below, as hunting is only allowed there September 1 - January 31.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region2/spenceville.html

"Hunting: Allowed September 1 - January 31 for all legal species and during spring turkey season."

Also, you all might want to double-check the regs...I'm pretty sure it's Archery & Shotgun only (no handgun or rifle hunting).

ITZJT
04-28-2010, 1:10 PM
I have seen Turkey there while driving into the range.

theseacow
04-28-2010, 1:10 PM
I think this place is about to have triple the normal amount of hunters.

BigJB
04-28-2010, 4:09 PM
I see hundreds of huge black and brown hogs running around there all the time. Funny things is, they moo.

GVOllie
04-28-2010, 4:51 PM
I see hundreds of huge black and brown hogs running around there all the time. Funny things is, they moo.

Hundreds????? More like hundreds per acre.

I doubt we'll see triple the traffic. Those who live in the area hunt it as a last resort when they can't go anywhere else. Anyone new coming in will not come back when they realize every shot you take you risk having to buy the cow you shot by accident. The first time you get too close to the boundary with the base and security comes down on you with weapons drawn, you'll find better places to spend your time. Personally, I'd rather hunt Daugherty Hill (that should get rid of a few people), if for no other reasons than a) no cows, and b) Collins Lake ice cream on the way out.

Chris - I have double and triple checked, including the postings at the entrances. It is not posted shotgun only anywhere.

lewdogg21
04-28-2010, 5:02 PM
Personally, I'd rather hunt Daugherty Hill (that should get rid of a few people), if for no other reasons than a) no cows, and b) Collins Lake ice cream on the way out.

Love the battan death march up the road out of the parking lot. *shudder*

center_x
04-28-2010, 5:08 PM
Agreed, people should go else wheres. They would have better luck. Ive never got deer, turkey, or duck there at Spenceville. On top of Daugherty hill is my special spot :0

Hornet_RN
04-28-2010, 5:36 PM
oh gawdh...i didn't mean for this to happen on this post. the only animals i really saw there were squirrels...heh.

center_x
04-28-2010, 5:40 PM
Its all in good fun. PM me if you want a second squirrel hunter with you when you head out.

oh gawdh...i didn't mean for this to happen on this post. the only animals i really saw there were squirrels...heh.

BigJB
05-01-2010, 8:56 AM
Hundreds????? More like hundreds per acre.

I doubt we'll see triple the traffic. Those who live in the area hunt it as a last resort when they can't go anywhere else. Anyone new coming in will not come back when they realize every shot you take you risk having to buy the cow you shot by accident. The first time you get too close to the boundary with the base and security comes down on you with weapons drawn, you'll find better places to spend your time. Personally, I'd rather hunt Daugherty Hill (that should get rid of a few people), if for no other reasons than a) no cows, and b) Collins Lake ice cream on the way out.

Chris - I have double and triple checked, including the postings at the entrances. It is not posted shotgun only anywhere.

WHy are there cows all over a "Wildlife Area"? Cows aint exactly eco friendly?