PDA

View Full Version : HK USP 9mm or Sig 226

Jerry X
04-26-2010, 5:22 PM
It's time to buy a new pistol. I can't decide between the HK USP 9mm or Sig 226. What are some pros and cons for both pistols. Thanks!

-Jerry

Ding126
04-26-2010, 5:25 PM
Both are good but I vote for the USP....USP's don't have the best of triggers IMO but that can be corrected with a match or LEM set up. The big question is what feels good in the hand

uhmeebuh
04-26-2010, 5:39 PM
As with many things, it depends :-)

Both a good guns and have people who love (and hate) them. Its really up to you - how they fit in your hand, how you shoot them, which one you think looks better, etc.

But, all things being equal, here are a few "facts" that might help sway your decision:

- P226 grip is thicker than the USP
- P226 is heavier than the USP
- USP has a safety which isn't an option on the P226
- Options to swap barrels on the P226 to use different calibers
- You can change the grip on the P226 (but not by much)

So, go shoot them at a range and buy the one that floats your boat!

trickyvic
04-26-2010, 5:42 PM
I've had both and prefer SIGs. Standard suggestion is to shoot both and see what fits you better.

taguin
04-26-2010, 6:02 PM
226 will out perform the USP in the accuracy department. Its a lot easier to get parts for the 226 and accessories than the USP. My vote goes the 226.

UserM4
04-26-2010, 6:09 PM
226 will out perform the USP in the accuracy department. Its a lot easier to get parts for the 226 and accessories than the USP. My vote goes the 226.

:rolleyes:

evidens83
04-26-2010, 6:59 PM
They are both excellent pistols. Flip a coin :D

wu_dot_com
04-26-2010, 7:34 PM
a side note, just because the standard 226 grips dont fit your hand, dont write it off your list just yet. i recenetly got the magwell grips just to try it out. boy the egro, the grooves, the curves on that thing is just perfect. matter of fact, i think i like it so much, i might just by another set for my other P226.

zenbubu
04-26-2010, 8:02 PM
Both of them are sweet pistols! I have had each and shot them in the same range session. I'd have a hard time figuring out which one I liked better in the
9mm chambering, although I do prefer the USP.40 over the P226 when it comes to shooting .40

Either way, they are both pretty nice :)

zenbubu
04-26-2010, 8:05 PM
This is a great thread, as I am thinking about both of those guns in the near future as well ;) I miss my 9mm P226

Fobjoe
04-26-2010, 8:12 PM
I posted this once somewhere (sorry it refers to 229 over 226):
I owned a USP 9mm and decided to sell it for the following reasons

1. trigger sucked on my USP compared to Sig based on side by side comparison.
2. thumb riding the safety on USP tended to occasionally depress it which locked up the trigger.
3. USP has higher bore axis
4. I carry cocked and locked without the thumb safety. I never used the thumb safety even on my USP. DA is good enough when I want to take extra precaution.
5. USP has a fatter grip than Sig...not good for my smaller hands
6. never liked the proprietary rail on my USP
7. slide lock on sig has never been a problem for me
8. I got a WAY better deal on the SIG package (barrels for 40sw, 9mm, .357sig, 7 mags, blackhawk holster, night sights, spare guide rod, spring, and parts kit).
9. Ultimately I point and shoot the Sig better than I ever did with the USP.

I'd look at hk p2000 over the usp. My roommate has one and I was thoroughly impressed at the improvement over my old USP.

bobnfloyd
04-26-2010, 8:15 PM
I have both, the USP is not as accurate and the trigger is not nearly as good even after Bill Springfield trigger job. However, the controls on the USP and the safety give it excellent "ergonomics" in my opinion.

I like that the Sig points better and that you can modify the grips. The all metal construction also makes me feel like the price is justified. The Sig also allows a 22 conversion, and if you get it in 40, a 9 and 357 conversion as well.

Just a quick note, Sigs coming out of Exeter seem to have more quality issues the older ones form Germany/W Germany. The best deals for this seem to come from the used market.

Feel and natural ability to shoot one or the other is the best way to pick.

Oldnoob
04-26-2010, 8:35 PM
I have both and own both. I like 226 for 9mm and USP for 40S&W. Since you are looking for 9mm, my vote goes to 226.

226 has great ego, and it's one of the most well balanced alum frame pistol I have ever held. Though you really need to get used to the slide stop placement. I see many people have either two problem when shooting full size Sig:
1) they will try to push up on the decocker, trying to engage slide stop
ro
2) they place their thumb on the slide stop while they shoot. Therefore after the last round fired, slide won't lock back (than pull the trigger again and wondering why it don't go ban).

HK USP is one of the largest in size even amount polymer pistol (which usually big already). It was first design for 40s&w caliber than included 9 and 45. Has the slide stop/release and manual safety(decocker) placement similar with 1911. And has the unique ambi mag release,which I love (and think every pistol should adopt it, instead recute their magazine or dig a hole in the frame to get ambi mag release in).

Keep in mind, Sig Exter recently has pull some stupid sale stunts (single mag, grip swap...etc) and a bit of quality slide.

Good luck and keep us update.

SoCalRandy
04-26-2010, 9:18 PM
It's time to buy a new pistol. I can't decide between the HK USP 9mm or Sig 226. What are some pros and cons for both pistols. Thanks!

-Jerry

That's a tough call? Have you considered the HK P2000 also? I think it really depends on the purpose of the pistol too. If it is going to be a range gun I would recommend the P226 just because it is heavier and will soak up more recoil. If it is going to be used for carry you might want to choose the lighter polymer framed HK?

Evo
04-26-2010, 10:18 PM
I have a USP compact in .40 and my wife and dad have 9mm P226s.
I think this is a great combo, they both shoot very well but I shoot the HK best for some reason so it's my go to HD pistol. The wife and dad really like the lower recoil of the 9mm Sig and the .22 conversion for practice is a real bonus, and a total blast to shoot. Try to shoot a USP or USP compact in .40, it'll kick a little more but is a much better "stopper" if you can hit your target with it.

If you're set on 9mm I'd go 226
IF you can handle the .40 get a USP or USPc.

kimo308
04-26-2010, 11:31 PM
I love and own both. Three Hk in 9 and three SIgs in 9. Both great. But if I could only choose one, it would be my plain jane P226. I think the USP lin shoots better in .40 than 9 while I think the P226 in 9mm is better than .40.

fifthward
04-26-2010, 11:42 PM
sig 226 made for the 9
USP made for the .40

226....between the two

Consider P2000...sweet with LEM trigger (V2)

Packy14
04-27-2010, 12:08 AM
owned both..sold the HK... bought another sig 226. Nothing like it..nothing better..except an X5 (especially in .40/9mm).

RT13
04-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Owned a USP9 full, shot a P30......own a P2000 9mm, G17, G19, Beretta 92fs, P228, and two P226 in 9mm and one in .40/.357sig. I love all of them but nothing shoots like the 9mm P226. My choice is the P226 in 9mm. Just the best all around 9mm. And it's such a soft shooter, and a tack driver.

Black Majik
04-27-2010, 8:12 AM
I own both as well, I much prefer the P226. The USP has two main advantages over a standard P226, the ability to carry condition 1, and being ambi-friendly for mag changes.

Otherwise, the P226 in my opinion wins this comparison. The trigger in both SA and DA is better. The USP trigger is similiar to rowing a boat in a shallow swamp. Both have considerably high bore axis. While I do prefer to shoot SAO through the USP, high thumbing the decocker/safety is uncomfortable since the safety is so far back of the frame. Both will have long trigger resets, but the SRT fixes that in the SIG.

Oldnoob covered it well though. Quality wise I still prefer H&Ks, but a head to head comparison of the USPf vs. P226, I prefer the SIG. I too, feel SIG's quality have slipped over the years.

konata88
04-27-2010, 9:03 AM
I own both as well, I much prefer the P226. The USP has two main advantages over a standard P226, the ability to carry condition 1, and being ambi-friendly for mag changes.

I like both but don't own any HK's (yet -- planning to get a P2000).

But if the USP fit me, I'm probably in the minority in saying that this is actually one of the things that's not attractive for me. If I got a USP, I'd change it to the decocker only version. I'm partial to DA as the safety - this may not be a good perspective though.

teflondog
04-27-2010, 9:04 AM
I have both and I prefer the USP for its lighter weight and the option to carry cocked and locked. If you get a Match trigger installed, it will be better than the P226 stock trigger.
The only thing I don't like about the USP is the cheese grater checkering on the front and back straps. If you have big hands then it's not a problem since a Hogue slip-on fixes that.

Black Majik
04-27-2010, 9:08 AM
I like both but don't own any HK's (yet -- planning to get a P2000).

But if the USP fit me, I'm probably in the minority in saying that this is actually one of the things that's not attractive for me. If I got a USP, I'd change it to the decocker only version. I'm partial to DA as the safety - this may not be a good perspective though.

Yeah, I should have stated YMMV. actually, that may be another disadvantage of the USP. I prefer it to be either SAO or DA/SA, not both. The decocker/safety is a PITA since I have decocked the gun during recoil on my USP45f.

KevinXT
04-27-2010, 10:24 AM
sig 226

tbhracing
04-27-2010, 10:39 AM
The HK has a safety, I am out on that.

SixtyDashOne
04-27-2010, 10:49 AM
HK with the LEM trigger is where it's at, imo.

nrvnqsrxk
04-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm going to have to give my vote to the Sig, because it's trigger is just a class of it's own :)

GunLover
04-30-2010, 7:53 AM
I have owned both and vote for the Sig as its trigger and accuracy is outstanding.

bombadillo
04-30-2010, 7:57 AM
Buy both, shoot them and sell one for a hair less than you bought it for. They're both on par with each other's build quality, fit and finish is fantastic on both usually, and they both essentially fill the same niche. I would go HK just because I don't like many sigs but thats just a preference by me.

Rangda
04-30-2010, 9:31 AM
I'm actually on the same boat. But I'm looking for in 40s&w instead of 9mm.