View Full Version : NCIC-DROS

04-26-2010, 3:32 PM
When we buy a gun here and it's DROSed is that the same as NCIC? One in the same or two different processes? Curious as to other states only doing the NCIC and here we DROS.

04-26-2010, 3:38 PM
DROS is California DOJ's acronym for "Dealer's Report of Sale" and records of that are maintained in Californias "Automated Firearms System" or AFS which maintains records of handgun sales, pawned firearms, and stolen firearms. California uses the DROS process to conduct an eligibility check for firearms purchases similar to NICS.

NCIC is the Federal governments "National Crime Information Center" which tracks many things, including criminal history, stolen firearms, stolen property and vehicles, and many other things.

NICS is a nationwide clearing house for background checks for firearm purchases that most states use. I'm not exactly what the acronym breaks down to on that one.

04-26-2010, 4:08 PM
National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is a part of the CA DROS check. That's how CA finds out about those long forgotten out-of-state bench warrants :(

04-26-2010, 4:09 PM
CA DoJ uses NICS, along with other California records to perform a background check, that is submitted to them via DROS.

Blacktail 8541
04-26-2010, 4:27 PM
While the CA DOJ may use the NICS system, that is no guarantee that a purchase from an entity such as the CMP will go smooth. I have bought dozens of weapons here in CA and am now dealing with a NIcs delay at the CMP. Have no clue why. I have purchased hand gun and long arms as little as a month ago.

04-26-2010, 7:11 PM
thanks guys