View Full Version : Ruger Mk I

04-26-2010, 2:53 PM
I was at the local gunship perusing their firearms and I saw a ruger mk I on consignment for 250 w/3 mags looked to be in good condition. Just wondering if that was a good price and if there's any issuesi should be looking for with the mk I. Also they had a 22/45 for sale for 295 Im wondering if that's a better deal.

04-26-2010, 2:58 PM
Which version is it? Bull barrel or standard - Either way it's a decent deal - I personally do not like the 22/45 due to the grip -

04-26-2010, 3:33 PM
It looked like a standard 4.5" barrel. The bull barrel is thicker and more rounded I believe(feel free to correct me if Im wrong) and this one was thinner and tapered to the end.

04-26-2010, 4:25 PM
Also I was wondering if one was easier to take down or clean than the other? I recall someone saying that one of the models was a PITA to clean and reassemble.

04-26-2010, 6:17 PM
The Ruger MK I / II / III take down procedure is the same EXCEPT the Mark III has the magazine disconnect. The take down procedure requires at two points to do a dry fire. The magazine has to be in. And then it has to be out at other points. I call it the Ruger Hokey Pokey dance. So for a Mark I, it will be slightly easier than the Mark III.

When I purchased additional magazines for my MK I (Ruger mags), they did not have a metal base pad. The plastic base pad of the magazine had a gap which would get caught in the magazine release latch. I had to modify the magazines because of that. MK 1 is a 9 round magazine.

The 22/45 has a different grip angle and you may be able to get more aftermarket parts for it, if that is of interest.

I'll guess that the MK 1 has fixed sights, I don't know my 22/45 history well enough to say if that one has fixed or adjustable sights. Take that into account as well.

I've got a Mark I and two Mark III's. Nice guns.

04-26-2010, 7:02 PM
I also have Mk I. I like it.

04-26-2010, 7:12 PM
Here's one offered by a Calgunner in LA. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=286209
If it is as clean as it appears, I would snap it up for $300 although I would prefer a MKII because I'm a shooter, not a collector.

sd joe
04-26-2010, 7:14 PM
I have an old one that shoots great. Keep in mind that the grips are also different than the II and III and are hard to find.

04-26-2010, 8:53 PM
So how old is the mk I? I'm just looking for something affordable and shootable.

04-27-2010, 6:32 PM
So how old is the mk I? I'm just looking for something affordable and shootable.

Hang on a sec, let me fire up google for ya----

sd joe
04-27-2010, 7:26 PM
If you have the serial#, go on the Ruger website and you can see the year it was made.

Snapping Twig
04-27-2010, 8:11 PM
I'm a believer that the Mk II is the best version.

That said, any iteration of this pistol is a fine shooter.

I ramped my front sight, installed a flourescent green insert, Clark Custom trigger and a BoMar rear sight.

Friggin thing's a laser.